1986 Oct 23rd kilburn 2 DISCS full show (RANK)

drifter

DISC 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F8XZMK23

DISC 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TEXTRZU2

23 October 1986
National Ballroom, Kilburn

The Queen Is Dead
Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have
Vicar In A Tutu
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
Never Had No One Ever
Cemetry Gates
London
Meat Is Murder
I Know It's Over
/The Draize Train
/How Soon Is Now?
//Still Ill
//Bigmouth Strikes Again

As the band entered stage, Morrissey took the microphone and shouted a loud "Hello!". Before "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" Morrissey asked "Could I please ask the journalists to stop throwing things?". "Ask" and "Is It Really So Strange?" were both introduced, the former as "...our new single."

At the beginning of "Meat Is Murder" Johnny picked notes from an unidentified song. During the final number of the main set, "I Know It's Over", Morrissey gradually pulled his shirt over his head and sang the end of the song with his head hidden inside it. Returning for the second encore, "Still Ill", Morrissey thanked the audience "Thank you you've been very nice, very kind, very generous". At the beginning of "Bigmouth Strikes Again", Morrissey threw the t-shirt he had just changed into to his fans and sang the song barechested.

This concert was recorded by the BBC for later radio broadcast. It was however never broadcast in full. The most complete sets still lacked "I Want The One I Can't Have", "Never Had No One Ever", "Meat Is Murder".

OFFICAL RELEASES

The BBC recording was edited down to 14 tracks and released in 1988 as the "Rank" album. Click here for full details.

BOOTLEGS

A visual souvenir is available for this gig. An audience recording of the whole concert (sometimes minus the intro to "The Queen Is Dead) is circulated on bootleg VHS and DVDs.

Quite a few audio bootlegs were produced from various radio broadcasts over the years. As the concert was partially officially released on "Rank", the aim of bootleg buyers is to get the six songs excluded from the live album: "I Want The One I Can't Have", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Frankly Mr Shankly", "Never Had No One Ever", "Meat Is Murder" and "How Soon Is Now?". But only three of these are circulated in radio quality. The other three are only available from an audience recording.

So the only complete 'official' bootleg is a double-LP titled "The Bad Boy From A Good Family" (also known as "That Funny Manchester Group"). It features a fair audience recording of the complete gig ("Rusholme Ruffians" is even featured twice, at the end of side A and the beginning of side B). This recording was very likely lifted from the video recording mentioned above, because the only full set circulated on the internet, from a cd transfer under the same title or the alternate title "The Complete Rank" is the same as that of the video bootleg. It is also possible, but not very likely, that the recording is different and that the artwork for "The Bad Boy From A Good Family" was used with the audio from the video.

The "Higher Rank" and "Unruly Girl" bootleg cds were produced from a radio broadcast cd and feature 17 songs in great quality, the 14 from "Rank" and the missing "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Frankly Mr Shankly" and "How Soon Is Now?".

"Dance With Octopusses", an 'official' bootleg cd, puts together 12 songs in radio quality, including the same three absent from "Rank" but included on "Higher Rank".

"Morrissey 1959-1986" was produced around a 4 February 1983 concert and four radio and tv sessions. It includes three songs from this gig, the same missing tracks mentioned in the previous paragraph. "Flowers" is produced around a 18 March 1985 concert and 2 radio session and includes "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "How Soon Is Now?" in radio quality.

The "A Nice Bit Of Meat 2" mixed content bootleg LP and "A Nice Bit Of Meat" mixed content bootleg CD include "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "Frankly Mr Shankly" among other live tracks, radio sessions and soundchecks. The "Acid Head" bootleg 7" available in a few vinyl colours is rather useless to non-completists. It pairs "Cemetry Gates" and "I Know It's Over" from this concert with the Peel session of "Half A Person".

MP3s were produced for most of these bootlegs and are commonly found on the internet. The recording available on "Unruly Girl" mentioned above can be found under its alternate title "Higher Rank".

info from passions just like mine

Drifter I dont know about owing you a drink I think I owe you a barrel of the stuff thanks ONCE again
Graham

Just finished downloading, thanks a lot drifter.
(By the way, I've sent you PMs, don't you get them?)
Cheers

sadly i dont know the sourse...no i havent gotten any pms...i was hopeing to get pms for requests, now maybe i know why...ill have to ask the higher gods around here.......can one of the higher ups or monators send me a test pm to see if im getting pms?

sadly i dont know the sourse...no i havent gotten any pms...i was hopeing to get pms for requests, now maybe i know why...ill have to ask the higher gods around here.......can one of the higher ups or monators send me a test pm to see if im getting pms?

I sent you a PM a while ago too.

:) thanks buddy....you continue to amaze me....

Thanx very much for all your bootlegs! :D

Not to be a pain, but does anyone know which three tracks missing from Rank were broadcast in radio quality, and could anyone be kind enough to post them?

Thanx very much for all your bootlegs! :D

Not to be a pain, but does anyone know which three tracks missing from Rank were broadcast in radio quality, and could anyone be kind enough to post them?

They're on Akira, there are more than three...12 i think

Back
Top Bottom