Failed graphic designer
_

Attachments

• gren comparison tcm.jpg
    gren comparison tcm.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
So these are both 1992 WEA reissues.
The left is the silver injection molded version.
The right is more pale, comes in a matte finish sleeve and has green titles.
Does anybody have any information on this?

View attachment 35233

Yes, the one on the right has been exposed to sunlight for a fairly prolonged period of time, in other words it is badly discoloured.

Debunked the idea of colour degredation. The colouring of the image of Jean Marais' hand on the rear is also the same pale tint as the image on the front, and the text hasn't turned green. Even if it had degraded in sunlight on both the front and the rear for the same pale tint of the image, the text would have become the same shade too.

View attachment 35234
View attachment 35235

The variation in the colour of the image (front and rear) could easily be attributable to the printing process itself, ie different batches, inks, etc.
The green text on the front is discolouration due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Kissmyshadestoo is currently in his green house, blue tacking Charming Man sleeves to the roof.
But seriosuly, I'm gonna have to try this cos i have trouble believing it. I mean how long must this discolouration process take? and under what circumstances would someone leave a record in the sun for this long? Unless it was framed right infront of their window! I know someone who has a green version, but even she didnt know she had it, been boxed in her attic for 20years, so dunno how to explain that.

Kissmyshadestoo is currently in his green house, blue tacking Charming Man sleeves to the roof.
But seriosuly, I'm gonna have to try this cos i have trouble believing it. I mean how long must this discolouration process take? and under what circumstances would someone leave a record in the sun for this long? Unless it was framed right infront of their window! I know someone who has a green version, but even she didnt know she had it, been boxed in her attic for 20years, so dunno how to explain that.

It doesn't take that long.
Try it with either a spare GIAC, Strangeways or TCM you may have knocking about.
Place the sleeve flat against a window that gets plenty of sunshine (even if through clouds here in the UK!!) and in a couple of weeks or so you will see the result.
May work on other titles too btw, I've only ever seen this happen on the 3 I mention.

If the brown of the text on the front was in the sun long enough for it to degrade to green, then surely the image would have also become more pale/green on the front, and the continuation of the picture on the back of the sleeve would be darker/browner. The image is the same shade on the front and the back

Not necessarily.
On the GIAC for example, the black text and background barely change colour, not noticeable at all.
Yet the grey part of the image turns green.

Those discoloured GIAC's do my head in, there's only 1 true misprinted sleeve and it contains the 12" tracklist. All the rest should be burned.
giacfront.jpg
giacback.jpg

After reading this thread about the TCM single, I looked to see if there was a difference in the two versions I have on CD. I bought these back in the early 90s. What's the number in the right hand corner mean and why is one b/w and the other sepia? They have never, ever been exposed to light. Also, note the black font on the back of the second CD. Are these rare? Just curious. I'm not a collector; I bought these in haste because, at the time, I wanted every single Smiths/Morrissey CD I could find! Thanks.

2m5z68l.jpg

o07484.jpg

After reading this thread about the TCM single, I looked to see if there was a difference in the two versions I have on CD. I bought these back in the early 90s. What's the number in the right hand corner mean and why is one b/w and the other sepia? They have never, ever been exposed to light. Also, note the black font on the back of the second CD. Are these rare? Just curious. I'm not a collector; I bought these in haste because, at the time, I wanted every single Smiths/Morrissey CD I could find! Thanks.

2m5z68l.jpg

o07484.jpg

When WEA first released TCM on CD in the UK in the early 90s it was as a 2 disc set.
This is how they were all pressed, one insert in sepia and the other in a different shade + black text.
I always thought they were trying to reproduce to some extent the difference in colour/shade between the original UK 12" and the UK New York Mix 12".
The numbering denotes that it is a limited edition of sorts, even though it was pressed in huge quantities.

When WEA first released TCM on CD in the UK in the early 90s it was as a 2 disc set.
This is how they were all pressed, one insert in sepia and the other in a different shade + black text.
I always thought they were trying to reproduce to some extent the difference in colour/shade between the original UK 12" and the UK New York Mix 12".
The numbering denotes that it is a limited edition of sorts, even though it was pressed in huge quantities.

Ah...makes sense. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom