Andy Rourke assists remake of the classic Mission anthem ‘Tower Of Strength'

The Seeker of Good Songs

from the Mission's Facebook page ()

Wayne has collaborated with some great friends and musicians including : Andy Rourke, Billy Duffy, Budgie, Evi Vine, Gary Numan, James Alexander Graham, Jay Aston, Julianne Regan, Kevin Haskins, Kirk Brandon, Lol Tolhurst, Martin Gore, Michael Aston, Michael Ciravolo, Midge Ure, Miles Hunt, Rachel Goswell, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Steve Clarke, Tim Palmer, Trentemøller.

The wait is over and we are thrilled to launch Wayne Hussey and friends remake of the classic Mission anthem ‘Tower Of Strength' in support of key workers dealing with Covid-19 globally.
All proceeds go to charities personally chosen by each contributor to TOS2020.

ReMission International - TOS2020
For full details and all pre-order information please visit the TOS2020 website: www.themissionukband.com
Watch a short teaser clip of the song:
This amazing release is available on:
Digital download - release date 28th August
12” gold coloured vinyl and CD - release date 2nd October

There are also bundle options available so you can give full support to the nominated charities (listed below) plus an option to donate a little more if you are feeling like you'd like to give more to these very worthy causes.

All bundle versions include an additional re-mastered version of the original Tower of Strength exclusive to online orders.

Wayne has collaborated with some great friends and musicians including : Andy Rourke, Billy Duffy, Budgie, Evi Vine, Gary Numan, James Alexander Graham, Jay Aston, Julianne Regan, Kevin Haskins, Kirk Brandon, Lol Tolhurst, Martin Gore, Michael Aston, Michael Ciravolo, Midge Ure, Miles Hunt, Rachel Goswell, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Steve Clarke, Tim Palmer, Trentemøller.

From Wayne Hussey: “When Covid-19 hit I started receiving messages asking ‘why don’t you re-issue Tower Of Strength for the front line workers?’ The song had apparently been adopted as an anthem by some NHS workers, and it got me thinking that I would like to contribute something to the greater cause at this unprecedented time and the only thing I could really contribute is music. So in conjunction with my good friend Michael Ciravolo, I came up with the idea of recording a new version of Tower Of Strength for charity by enlisting the help of musician friends and acquaintances. Tower Of Strength was first released by The Mission as a single in 1988 and then again in 1994. It charted twice in the UK top 40 and has proved to be probably our biggest song and the one we generally close our shows with. It is anthemic. I wondered if recording a more well known song might have a greater reach but neither Michael or I could come up with any suggestions that seemed to fit lyrically without getting too corny. So Tower Of Strength it was then.”
“Usually I detest things that are done for charity that are also self-serving, but I came up with a plan that satisfied my conscience. I spoke with my fellow Mission band members who co-wrote the song - Craig Adams, Mick Brown and Simon Hinkler - and we agreed to give up any publishing income generated by the new version to nominated charities, including mechanical and performance royalties and 100% of any revenue raised by sales. TOS2020 has been renamed to divert funds from the original version, and the charities have been personally nominated by the people involved in its recording and release. Because the musical contributions are global our idea is that the proceeds will be divided and distributed equally among all the beneficiaries.
Whilst all the versions will be available to listen to on all streaming platforms I'm gonna ask you to help the cause by buying at least the digital package which is priced at only £2.99. It's not much, is it? For the price of a coffee you'll receive all five versions. Come on, help us to help others.” Wayne Hussey, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 9th August, 2020.
Produced by Wayne and co-produced and mixed by Tim Palmer except * remix by Trentemøller and ** by some bloke named Albie Mischenzingerzen.

Side-line (https://www.side-line.com/depeche-m...y-single-tower-of-strength-check-the-preview/) is stretching it and headlining that the Smitss are involved.

Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Mission, Gary Numan, etc. unite for brand new charity single ‘Tower Of Strength’ – check the preview

Wayne Hussey, frontman of The Mission, will soon have a new single out in support of key workers dealing with Covid-19 globally. He has remade the classic Mission anthem “Tower Of Strength”, joined by members of The Cure, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Slowdive, Bauhaus / Love and Rockets, The Smiths, The Twilight Sad, Depeche Mode, The Cult, The Wonder Stuff, Gary Numan, Evi Vine, Midge Ure (Ultravox), Spear of Destiny / Theatre Of Hate, Beauty In Chaos, The Soft Cavalry, All About Eve, Guns N’ Roses, Nine Inch Nails and Gene Loves Jezebel.

The actual collaborators include: Andy Rourke, Billy Duffy, Budgie, Evi Vine, Gary Numan, James Alexander Graham, Jay Aston, Julianne Regan, Kevin Haskins, Kirk Brandon, Lol Tolhurst, Martin Gore, Michael Aston, Michael Ciravolo, Midge Ure, Miles Hunt, Rachel Goswell, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Steve Clarke, Tim Palmer, Trentemøller

Produced by Wayne Hussey, this release features mixes by Tim Palmer and Trentemöller. This is also the first time brothers Jay and Michael Aston (of Gene Loves Jezebel) have recorded anything together since parting ways many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom