Andy Rourke: The world needs colourful characters like Morrissey - The List

Andy Rourke: The world needs colourful characters like Morrissey - The List
By Bang Showbiz - 9 May, 2019.

Excerpt:

Andy Rourke says the world needs "colourful characters" like his old bandmate Morrissey.

The 55-year-old bassist co-founded The Smiths with frontman Morrissey in Manchester in 1982, and he has admitted the music industry would be "boring" without "controversial" people like the 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' singer – who is known for his forthright opinions on topics including politics and animal rights.

Andy also described Morrissey as a "unique individual and a real talent".

full

Full interview via YouTube:

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how he manages to sing Smiths songs then, if he can no longer listen to The Smiths music??

It's strange to think that after all these years, he's still insecure enough about the public perception of his solo career that he has to try and 'elevate' it by taking pot shots at the Smiths. I hope he grows out of it one day - saying things like, "We were young and didn't know what we were doing", "Can you imagine the Smiths having such variety and power?" just smacks of revisionism and makes him look petty. I remember him saying to one journalist, "Johnny Marr was a fantastic guitarist but he had one problem, stage fright" and I just rolled my eyes.

Wonder how he manages to sing Smiths songs then, if he can no longer listen to The Smiths music??
Singing Smiths songs in a concert setting is totally different to sitting down at home listening to The Smiths' music. Yes it is true that Morrissey does sometimes sing Smiths songs during his concerts. Morrissey is completely entitled to sing Smiths songs at his own concerts seeing as he wrote the songs along with Johnny Marr.

This is the article it came out last year in 2018 called "Morrissey confesses he can no longer listen to The Smiths": https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-listen-music-solo-johnny-marr-a8310976.html

Morrissey says that his real pride is in his solo career. I agree with Morrissey I much prefer his solo work. I agree with so much that Morrissey says. Morrissey said that the constant referral to his past in The Smiths is compared to people only associating David Bowie to 'The Laughing Gnome' he called it a "morbid sentimentality."

Morrissey said that his pride is in ‘Low In High School‘, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business‘, ‘Years Of Refusal‘, ‘Ringleader Of the Tormentors‘, ‘You Are The Quarry‘, ‘Swords’, ‘Southpaw Grammar’, ‘Your Arsenal’, ‘Vauxhall and I’ … they are me. I'm guessing that for him The Smiths represent pain, trauma and humiliation although he doesn't say this. Artistically speaking I much prefer Morrissey's solo music anyway. Also it proves that Morrissey didn't need the other members of The Smiths to be a successful artist.

Singing Smiths songs in a concert setting is totally different to sitting down at home listening to The Smiths' music. Yes it is true that Morrissey does sometimes sing Smiths songs during his concerts. Morrissey is completely entitled to sing Smiths songs at his own concerts seeing as he wrote the songs along with Johnny Marr.

This is the article it came out last year in 2018 called "Morrissey confesses he can no longer listen to The Smiths": https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...s-listen-music-solo-johnny-marr-a8310976.html

Morrissey says that his real pride is in his solo career. I agree with Morrissey I much prefer his solo work. I agree with so much that Morrissey says. Morrissey said that the constant referral to his past in The Smiths is compared to people only associating David Bowie to 'The Laughing Gnome' he called it a "morbid sentimentality."

Morrissey said that his pride is in ‘Low In High School‘, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business‘, ‘Years Of Refusal‘, ‘Ringleader Of the Tormentors‘, ‘You Are The Quarry‘, ‘Swords’, ‘Southpaw Grammar’, ‘Your Arsenal’, ‘Vauxhall and I’ … they are me. I'm guessing that for him The Smiths represent pain, trauma and humiliation although he doesn't say this. Artistically speaking I much prefer Morrissey's solo music anyway. Also it proves that Morrissey didn't need the other members of The Smiths to be a successful artist.

was that Skinny calling someone a bad penny???o_O
can someone verify for me, i think my eyes are hallucinating. Skinny calling someone
a bad penny:crazy:

its not an easy thing to listen to the same chicka chicka riff that Mr Cometry puts on
every single Smiths songs, that why solo Moz is superior. needless the say, Dh Andy
and FH Mike are the frick and frack of music.:lbf:

Andy is a born follower! Classically Smiths WTF :confused:
This band sound shit and who is that other no mark singing o_O
I really like Ratty's Blog called "Following the Mozziah". Ratty is a great Morrissey fan and he is totally loyal to Morrissey. This is something that Ratty wrote recently on his Blog:

"In other, other news, the comedian, Freddie Starr is dead, and the outspoken and VERY self-obsessed, Danny Baker; who has never been particularly kind about Morrissey, has been sacked by the BBC for a supposed racist tweet - he posted a picture of a posh looking chimp in a suit, and tweeted, "Royal baby leaves hospital." If that is racism, then I'm a dutchman, but I shall lose no sleep for Baker."

http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.com/2019/05/friday-may-10th-2019-day-2794-lister.html

I find it interesting that Andy Rourke follows Danny Baker on Twitter. I don't know if Andy Rourke is a personal friend of Danny Baker but he obviously likes him. In my view Danny Baker is just another Morrissey hater going by his previous tweets and comments about Morrissey. Marc Riley the radio DJ, alternative rock critic and musician is another hater of Morrissey.

Andy Rourke's new band is called 'Blitz Vega'. That other guy that is with Andy Rourke in the band is Kav Sandhu but he is better known as just "KAV". Like you I had never heard of him before. KAV is a British musician, hailing from Leicester, England. KAV lived in London, England for a while and he is now based in Los Angeles, California in the USA. Kav Sandhu played guitar with the Mancunian/Salford band Happy Mondays for 4 years! Kav Sandhu moved to London in 2003 and co-launched the club night Getloaded at London's Turnmills nightclub. This was the start of a partnership with Turnmills MD and House promoter Danny Newman. "Getloaded" launched its inaugural summer festival in 2004. 10,000 revellers descended on Clapham Common in London for what was to become one of the biggest London indie festivals, and one of the early challengers to the mainstream UK festivals. "Getloaded in The Park 2004" was awarded "Best New Festival" at the UK Festival Awards 2004. KAV parted ways with "Getloaded" in 2006. London's Turnmills nightclub closed in 2008 and the building was later demolished. For more info about Kav Sandhu ("KAV") this is his Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kav_Sandhu

The "Classically Smiths" shows were meant to of happened last year in 2018 but they never happened in the end. Andy Rourke pulled out in the last minute maybe Johnny Marr had words with him. The "Classically Smiths" shows were organised by the dodgy Elliot Marks a Northern Englishman who I believe is now based in Southern California, USA who does Smiths/Morrissey fan events and Joel Perry who is part of Manchester's indie music scene and is a known hater of Morrissey and also happens to be good friends with Andy Rourke. In my view Craig Gannon and Mike Joyce are also haters of Morrissey. Craig Gannon and especially Mike Joyce seem to be good friends with Andy Rourke. I think they were hoping that the "Classically Smiths" shows would be a big success like the "Haçienda Classical" shows! It looks to me like it was a big money making scheme that went wrong. Yet again they were all trying to cash in on their Smiths/Morrissey connections.

Andy is a born follower! Classically Smiths WTF :confused:
This band sound shit and who is that other no mark singing o_O
You might be interested in this YouTube video. This is another interview with Andy Rourke and "KAV" (Kav Sandhu) talking about their new band 'Blitz Vega'. They talk about their debut gig at the "Nambucca" a live music venue in Holloway Road in North London. It was a 'Red Stripe' Presents 'This Feeling TV' event which took place on Wednesday 24th April 2019. See link:

You might be interested to know Dennis Anderson and Lois Kahlert – the music-obsessed New York couple who inspired the Happy Mondays song "Dennis and Lois" and transcended traditional fandom with their decades of rock dedication – are the subjects of filmmaker Chris Cassidy’s new documentary "Dennis and Lois". The movie premiered as an official selection at the ninth-annual DocNYC Film Festival on November 14th 2018 at 3 p.m. ET (IFC Center) and November 15th 2018 at 9:45 p.m. (SVA Theater). A trailer introduces the duo with glowing salutes from some of their favourite artists, including Happy Mondays’ Paul Ryder (“These aren’t strange cats. These are really whacked-out cats – in a really good way”), the Hold Steady’s Craig Finn and Joy Division/New Order’s Peter Hook (“They’re iconic in the way that they were there when a movement started”). The clip shows images of Dennis Anderson and Lois Kahlert in their early days, attending punk shows at New York’s legendary 'CBGB' music club, but focuses on the present – including their daunting road trips of following bands on tour and working 'merch' (merchandise) tables. The pair boast about attending at least “four shows a week” but sometimes up to three a day! The preview also includes interview snippets with Ramones graphic designer Arturo Vega, A Place to Bury Strangers’ Jason “Jay Space” Weilmeister and The Charlatans’ Tim Burgess. Other acts featured or spotlighted in the film include The Smiths’ Andy Rourke, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Elbow, The Stone Roses, Badly Drawn Boy, Doves, John Grant and Budgie. See link for more info: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/peter-hook-craig-finn-dennis-and-lois-trailer-755957/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ghtlife-news/dennis-lois-how-two-new-13580927

Andy Rourke has been based in New York City since 2009, composing, writing and recording on various projects and he also sometimes works as a DJ. Andy Rourke recently guested live with fellow Smiths member Johnny Marr. "KAV" (Kav Sandhu) has been based out in Los Angeles, California since 2010.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom