Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at a drop of a hat"

Raskolnikov

Lost child
Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop of a hat"

Interesting comment from Bernard Butler, ex-Suede, in this month's Mojo. Referring to his dis-interest in re-unions he says:

I've always told Johnny [Marr], Don't reform The Smiths. Morrissey would do it at the drop of a hat, and he'd have Rick and Bruce, as he calls them, in cages at the back."

I've no idea how well Bernard knows Moz or Johnny, but it's interesting that he reckons Moz could be so easily persuaded to get up on stage with Andy and Mike again.

Last edited:
Re: Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop of a hat"

I've no idea how well Bernard knows Moz or Johnny, but it's interesting that he reckons Moz could be so easily persuaded to get up on stage with Andy and Mike again.

From Johnny's website, he gave Bernard his Gibson 355 in the 90s, on which he wrote "I Started Something," "Stop Me," and "Death of A Disco Dancer." I'd imagine they get on rather well if that's the case. I'd be interested in seeing Bernard and Johnny put something together, that would be BRILLIANT.

Re: Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop of a hat"

Johnny and Bernard have definitely been friends for a long time. I think Johnny offered a lot of empathy after Bernard left Suede and Bernard probably needed that at the time (and at that age).

But I'm baffled that BB thinks Morrissey would so easily reform The Smiths. Even if everything Morrissey has said against reforming (including that he'd "rather eat his own testicles") was all for show, I just can't see him ever having anything to do with Joyce again. It'd go everything Morrissey has stood for, right or wrong. We know Morrissey likes his money -- there were opportunities he could've made millions, or at least many hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Morrissey and Marr (and perhaps Andy) on stage - I truly hope it happens, even if it was only a one time thing.
Morrissey and Joyce on a stage - personally it wouldn't bother me but I'd be seriously concerned about Morrissey's mental state.

Johnny and Bernard have definitely been friends for a long time. I think Johnny offered a lot of empathy after Bernard left Suede and Bernard probably needed that at the time (and at that age).

But I'm baffled that BB thinks Morrissey would so easily reform The Smiths. Even if everything Morrissey has said against reforming (including that he'd "rather eat his own testicles") was all for show, I just can't see him ever having anything to do with Joyce again. It'd go everything Morrissey has stood for, right or wrong. We know Morrissey likes his money -- there were opportunities he could've made millions, or at least many hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Morrissey and Marr (and perhaps Andy) on stage - I truly hope it happens, even if it was only a one time thing.
Morrissey and Joyce on a stage - personally it wouldn't bother me but I'd be seriously concerned about Morrissey's mental state.

I didn't know JM and Bernard had been close, so that's interesting. It's no surprise though, as both held a similar role in their respective bands and Bernard's comment does seem sympathetic from the point of view of a key musician/songwriter frustrated with his front-man!

The rest of your comment I just agree with completely.

Bernard Butler hasn't got a clue, has he? What rubbish! God, i'm tired of hearing about The Smiths reforming. I agree with Morrissey (it would be a hopeless mistake).

It's hard to come to any conclusion other than that Butler is an absolute berk.
He wrote 3 or 4 catchy indie pop songs in the early 1990's and people act as if he's some kind of legend.
He's always made it clear that Marr is the reason he got into the Smiths, and was even ungracious enough to slag off Morrissey's band when they covered one of his songs back in 92.
This is basically him saying that Morrissey is absolutely desperate, and would do anything to reform his old band.
It's absolute bollocks of course. Sure, Morrissey would welcome the chance to do some stuff with Marr but he would never share a stage with Joyce Michael as long as he lives. Even the promoters who've offered large amounts of cash for a Smiths reunion say they'd only need Marr and Moz to be in the line-up.
If anything, Marr needs it more than Morrissey these days. In the week that Marr got booted out of, or parted company with (we can't be sure which), a third-rate indie pop group 20 years his junior, Moz gets announced as, effectively, a headline act at Glastonbury festival.
What Marr would give to play his songs in front of 70,000 people on the Pyramid stage!

Last edited:

Even the promoters who've offered large amounts of cash for a Smiths reunion say they'd only need Marr and Moz to be in the line-up.
If anything, Marr needs it more than Morrissey these days. In the week that Marr got booted out of, or parted company with (we can't be sure which), a third-rate indie pop group 20 years his junior, Moz gets announced as, effectively, a headline act at Glastonbury festival.
What Marr would give to play his songs in front of 70,000 people on the Pyramid stage!

100% agree

Mmm, a bit harsh but true. Then again Johnny was nominated for an Oscar on a pretty cool film (Inception) and seems to be having a great old time at whatever he does.
But yes, Morrissey & Marr (written just like that) on stage at Glasto would be a classic.

Was it ever made public that there were two rates for those Smiths reunions (i.e. Morrissey & Marr or all four?) I find it hard to believe it'd be the same price for just M&M.

One lesser reason I think Morrissey wouldn't bother with a reunion is because his choice of live set would suddenly be amputated to 4 years worth of material from decades worth.

100% agree

If Mike agreed to be put in a cage at the back... then, yes, I think Moz would agree to it...
And the chances of Mike agreeing to be put in a cage at the back...

Dave

One lesser reason I think Morrissey wouldn't bother with a reunion is because his choice of live set would suddenly be amputated to 4 years worth of material from decades worth.

That's why M/M need to do something NEW first, like Shelley/Devoto did.

100% agree

Yeah, but $5 million pounds(not the supposed "$75 million" rumored), isn't very much, that was for Coachella. It's a shame really, there isn't a promoter out there who "gets it". Listen, all BS aside, I could hate your guts, and you mine, but for $100-$200 million for a one year tour? I'd learn to hate your guts for a year. I believe it could happen, but not enough $$$ has been thrown around...trust me, money talks. Hatred only goes so far, when money's involved. It's the same for GnR(example), Axl and Slash could hate each other, but some promoter calls them up, offers say $300 million to the band to re-form, and do a one year tour with the original lineup? they'd both jump at it, dont let them fool you. Duff and Izzy have said "they hate Axl, and will never play with him again". Yet, on the last tour for CD, they played several shows with him, and said they still loved him, and they could do a reunion.

It's always about money folks, ALWAYS. maybe he wont get on w/Joyce "IF" a reunion happens, but I can assure you, he would play w/Johnny tomorrow if he were offered that kind of dough.

$5 mill split four ways, isnt very much. But, $100-$200-$300 mill, split 4 ways? totally different ballpark. Thats why i said, no promoters "get it". Coachella would sell a shitload of tix, should they ever come to their senses(or anyone else), and offer some REAL dough for a reunion. ONLY way it happens.

Never say never........I think the right price, "hatred" becomes tolerable.

Last edited:

Any Smiths re-union would only be a pointless and meaningless circus. What a ridiculous idea. And I imagine Morrissey would feel the same. For me they were the best band ever but they'd never be the same again. Age sees to that.

If Johnny Marr gave me guitars I'd say the same thing.

$5 mill split four ways, isnt very much. But, $100-$200-$300 mill, split 4 ways? totally different ballpark.

Do you really think Moz would let it stand for being split equally four ways? :rolleyes: Then five years later, we have 'court case' part II, followed up in two years by a "special edition re-release" of "Sorrow Will Come in the End" as a single. :lbf: (Vinyl only.) :straightface:

I think Morrissey would have Joyce sign some type of agreement that the legal BS has to end before he'd sign this deal to reunite. Mere speculation on my part.

Back
Top Bottom