Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
The entertainment industry such as theatre, cinema and music, has very little space for the over 50. I would say music is the worse, as they boycott any older artists that are not attractive enough to the young musically and that it doesn't follow certain formulated standards dictated by most record companies. I found repulsive that many of us are forced by the industry to stop following the careers of those that we like, simply because they have grown old. Getting older doesn't mean artists have to be pushed to the corner, they can still create and have lots to offer. There is far too much prejudice against old artists and that attitude must change in the industry and also some fans. While someone can still be creative, who cares about age!
View attachment 65618
I hope he finds a record label that can give him enough freedom to continue while he wants to and can.
It was his prejudice that drove the fans away.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career,"
I think part of the problem is that no, they weren't. And whilst 'Dog' did indeed enter the charts at no. 3 on a Friday, by Monday it had sunk without trace, never to be seen again.
Never mind. Perhaps Infowars could start a record label?
It's a matter of opinion but I think "Dog" is a really excellent record and it did get some unexpectedly good reviews. I think it's very different than the three before it. Point is I don't think you can lump them all together.

Why did he have to blame it on 'diversity'? It's never his own fault, is it? He's getting absolutely roasted all over the internet!

Why did he have to blame it on 'diversity'? It's never his own fault, is it? He's getting absolutely roasted all over the internet!

Because he knows it will bring on more negative press and he is addicted to seeing himself as a martyr. Whether consciously or not he uses these "dog whistles" and if he doesn't know exactly what he is saying then he must be stupid as well as self destructive.

Because he knows it will bring on more negative press and he is addicted to seeing himself as a martyr. Whether consciously or not he uses these "dog whistles" and if he doesn't know exactly what he is saying then he must be stupid as well as self destructive.

He's definitely sabotaging his chances of getting signed to another label. Very poor form.

He didn't write it.

Also - most of the coverage so far is quite measured. So a hate piece that hasn't noticed most of his recent posts have been 'increasingly about his dead mother' rather than 'right-wing conspiracy theories' - isn't too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's definitely sabotaging his chances of getting signed to another label. Very poor form.
I think that because he is a legend, or at least an icon, there will always be some label that will put up with his nonsense long enough to release at least one record. It's probably partly the same reason he can keep band members and have them mostly be pretty loyal. He has great charisma. No matter what he has said recently in the press or what you think of his latest record if you go see him live he's going to win you over.
When he's talking to labels I am sure he can be very convincing and they probably see it as a challenge to somehow translate this into a hit record, or at least to have the ability to say that he's on their label.

I think that because he is a legend, or at least an icon, there will always be some label that will put up with his nonsense long enough to release at least one record. It's probably partly the same reason he can keep band members and have them mostly be pretty loyal. He has great charisma. No matter what he has said recently in the press or what you think of his latest record if you go see him live he's going to win you over.
When he's talking to labels I am sure he can be very convincing and they probably see it as a challenge to somehow translate this into a hit record, or at least to have the ability to say that he's on their label.
However foolish he's been over the last 20 years, record companies have known that the bbc and a few other stations will still support the first single off any album which makes an enormous difference. Its why High School sold 50,000 in the UK despite universally crap reviews. In 2020 for the first time ever, that support was entirelywithdrawn, due to his frighteningly enthusiastic support for far-right politics. The effect has been utterly catastrophic. Just 7000 pathetic sales of Dog on a Chain. It doesn't matter how good any new music is now. Potential record companies know that radio stations won't play it as long as he remains a campaigner for the far-right through messages on his website and the wearing of emblems at concerts and on television performances. He has got to retract his support and denounce the far right, or that's it for him. Concerts can still continue albeit to much reduced audiences but there will never be a new album, as long as he lives.

Bad news, I wonder if any Label at the moment will sign Morrissey. I hope for the better but know it's a huge problem ever getting signed, knowing His age and personality as Musician.:unsure:

In a world of shrinking CD sales Morrissey's niche should that of be a prestige artist -- a legend whose presence in their roster makes the record label look good, even though he might not bring money any more. Now Morrissey has tarnished his own image and legacy, of course, so he has forfeited that niche, and so he doesn't really have anything to offer a major label except trouble.

The whole reissue campaign has been haphazard and suspect from the start. It's been a year since it was aannounced and the only thing we've seen has been pointless new cover designs that looked like they were made in 20 minutes. It seems that no-one is curating these projects, except Morrissey, who likes to announce things only to forget all about them the next minute.

Moz being dropped by BMG has nothing to do with 'diversity'. If it they had dropped every white male has-been on their roster, then that might make sense. But they've only dropped one.
Precisely this.

Why would it even enter his mind to moan about 'diversity' if the brown folk weren't still a target of his opprobrium?

He's a disgrace.

Serious question here, is this a fact? Does he actually get the people around him to sign such documents? Do we know that for sure? Might explain why no one has ever spilt the beans big time.

I assume he does. He managed to create a huge myth around him... and whilst he is very intimate in his lyrics, the myth he created involves that a lot of areas of his life remain as a mystery; he simply does not talk about some things, but gives ambivalent hints and somehow leads the journalists to talk about them... just to answer with even more mystery. He seems to enjoy that game and he mastered it during the whole of his life.

I am not talking about his art, but I take it for granted that the mysterious myth is by far more interesting than the plain truth.

I assume he would not like to see an interview to one of his musicians in which X musicians is asked: "What about the sexualiy of Morrissey?"... and then an answer that could be something along the lines of "Oh, it's quite simple, he likes men and women, in most cases men; and his current partner is very supportive and cool".

It's not that the musician would be saying something atrocious, but certainly something that would kill the myth. So a NDA makes a lot of sense.

(yes, of course, he wrote a biography that disclosed a lot of details... but it was him the one who controlled what he said, what he didn't say and how it was said... I doubt he wishes to give that privilege to a musician of his band).

think this thread will be heading to the 500 club.its all nonsense.
M gets let go,its hardly new.
i hope he comes out all guns blazing in his interview,who wants a boring M,i certainly dont,it means this lefty bollocks has won and i wouldnt give them the satisfaction.

He didn't write it.

Also - most of the coverage so far is quite measured. So a hate piece that hasn't noticed most of his recent posts have been 'increasingly about his dead mother' rather than 'right-wing conspiracy theories' - isn't too bad.

He may not have written it himself, but it is on his website under the heading "Messages from Morrissey" - it implies a direct link between being dropped and a push for diversity by BMG. The press coverage may be measured, but the reaction in comments and on Twitter is vitriolic. He could have left that diversity part out, but no, he needs to always be a victim.

You sound like someone who suffers from issues with chafing. If you forward your address, I’d be happy to send you some of me gran’s all-natural ointment. Aside from that, best advice is - switch to a thong, so your panties don’t keep bunching up like this.
Anonymous coward, anonymous c***.

This just in: Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry and Justin Bieber all dropped from their labels in the interests of diversity! The great replacement is happening as we speak! Think of the white people!

Oh shit, wait. All of those acts sell records. Nevermind.
They all have handlers to ensure they stay within their MK Ultra programming, perform their ritualised shows complete with one eye covered photo ops, baphomet gestures, virtue signalling interviews, love creepy joe, probably all will have gender neutral children when they're told to etc etc. Morrissey? Not programmable. Not now. Not ever.
He's an actual artist, record companies can only handle him for so long, till they realise he's not manageable. A blessing for those who appreciate the art, a curse for those with an eye on the business side of things, though he's managed both for all his career so far. He's still the most interesting artist with his soul intact.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom