British Royalty

What are your feelings about them? I know there's been a bit of discussion about this issue on the Prince Chaz SLC thread, but I felt like starting a 'proper' focused one.

Personally I feel that the royal family are rather redundant in this day and age, and create a problem in that this system propagates the idea of class divisions, which is not particularly helpful. In addition, I find it odd that even though their influence is fairly marginal now, the supposedly eminent and powerful status of being royalty and "running the country" is bestowed upon people not for their achievements or personal merit, but simply the family they were born or married into. Anyone else feel the same (or the complete opposite, even)? :)

PS- I put this in the Pigsty because I know how strongly some people feel about the issue, and I feel there's greater freedom for debate here...or something.

They're not doing anyone any harm, really. I would prefer it if they were self-sufficient as they could easily afford to be. I had almost £1000 deductions from my last pay, and about 5p of that went to supporting them. I want it back.

Agree with you. Who died and made her queen? ;)

I'd like to drop my trousers to the Queen.

I'm sure that every sensible person will know what I mean :thumb:

Dave

I just feel that the British public should have the right to opt out.
If someone wants them to stay as they are then they can put a tick upon their commencment of employment and a little extra can be taken from their pay packet each week / month.
If you do not wish to have them as they are, then you do not tick the box and are not deducted.

They could easily make their own way in this world and sustain their own position. If they are visiting a business (basically promoting it as the local media covers each trip fairly comprehensively) then that business pays them to visit and plug their business.
They wouldn't be paid to visit the Lads Club as that is not a buisness, but Camilla went on to visit the set of Coronation Street and that appeared throughout the media - so Granada would pay her to make that visit and so on.
Foreign trips again can be funded by the airlines they fly on and the places they visit which again attract media attention and extra visiters as a result.
Charlie makes a small fortune as being the Duchy of Cornwall, getting money on rent. Lizzy can get the fees from serfs and tourists visiting Buck Palace and Windsor etc.

Can you imagine this - The Royal Family, sponsored by ''we buy any car.com'':laughing:

There is no need for us to be paying for them to fund the lifestyle they enjoy.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Wait...what? Excuse me for being an ignorant yank, but your taxes support their lifestyle? I thought they had old money? :confused: You still pay them?

Wait...what? Excuse me for being an ignorant yank, but your taxes support their lifestyle? I thought they had old money? :confused: You still pay them?

Yes, there is a Civil List which pays them a set amount individually each year. This is funded by tax paying subjects.
Up until a few years ago, they did not even pay taxes themselves. Then, Windsor Castle had a bad fire and the taxpayer was expected to pick up the bill. There was an outcry, saying why should we pay for this when the richest women in the world lives there and doesn't pay taxes.
Hey presto....the Queen announced she would now pay taxes..........:mad:

See this link here for how much they receive
http://www.iforbach.demon.co.uk/scroungers_and_hangers.htm

Prince Charles is not on the Civil List, as he is the Duchy of Cornwall and anyone living in Cornwall pays a fee to him (someone please correct me if I am wrong) for living in the county.

I watched a programme a year or so back, on the monarchy...... Queen Victoria took advantage of a lot of land owners around Balmoral (the Queens Scottish residency) running out of money....she bought acres after acres after acres, rewarding the owners with money and titles.
It was revealed that the Queen 'owns' the entire British shoreline and the first two miles from the shore into the sea. Any money earned within this two mile radius goes to the crown.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
How much they cost is debateable, as some say they bring income from tourism, but calculations tend to be partisan.
Republicans claim that the total costs to taxpayers including hidden elements (e.g., the Royal Protection security bill) of the monarchy are over £100 million per annum.[20] The Daily Telegraph claims the monarchy costs each adult in Britain around 62p a year.[5]
from link below

However, there are other considerations to be taken into account aside of finance..

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republicanism_in_the_United_Kingdom

How much they cost is debateable, as some say they bring income from tourism, but calculations tend to be partisan.
from link below

Dont swallow the tourism theory.
Which Eurpoean city has the most tourists travelling to it each year? Paris.
Versaille has millions of visitors each year to the former royal palace.

Tourists coming to London each year do not come to see the Queen. She's never there!
They come to see Buck Palace and the Tower of London. So we get rid of the monarchy and the tourists will still flock to see Buck Palace and the Tower of London......

Jukebox Jury

I'd love to hear some scandal about the Queen in her gown, and her hair in rollers and she has a fag on, swearing and spitting as she's swearing.

Versaille is worth seeing in its own right, though. Buckingham Palace isn't.

I'd love to hear some scandal about the Queen in her gown, and her hair in rollers and she has a fag on, swearing and spitting as she's swearing.

Have you visited the Yorkshire Water Museum?

Hopefully Morrissey will schedule a gig around July 12th and I can do both. :thumb:

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvaEGQyCKlc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvaEGQyCKlc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Someone should tell them July is the best time for their old saunter.

Last edited:
Hopefully Morrissey will schedule a gig around the 12th and I can do both. :thumb:
]

Blimey, I didn't even know there was an Orange march in Manchester:angry:
Was trying to work out where they were walking, didn't recognise the street and the bus that drove by didn't look like a Manchester bus.....

Jukebox Jury

Was trying to work out where they were walking, didn't recognise the street and the bus that drove by didn't look like a Manchester bus.....

Jukebox Jury

This one takes place in more familiar surroundings.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hl_dKoE5Yv4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hl_dKoE5Yv4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

They are very popular events in Liverpool too. :thumb:

A short video of an Orange Order parade through Manchester city centre for worship in Manchester Cathedral on Sunday the 7th of June 2009. This is a juveniles Orange Order parade, made up of children from Manchester, Liverpool and surrounding areas. The parade formed on Fitton Street, beside Urbis and made its way through the busy Manchester streets, to the cenotaph where several wreathes where laid to pay tribute to the fallen in past conflicts. Eight marching bands took part in the parade, all from Liverpool. Flute bands, accordion bands and a pipe band took part. The parade was led to Manchester Cathedral for worship.
The Orange Order has been part of Manchester's culture for over 200 years. During Victorian times, The Orange Order had several thousand members in Manchester and surrounding towns, such as Bolton, Rochdale, Middleton and Oldham. The Orange Order is once again enjoying a revival in Manchester with many local English people joining.
JOIN THE ORANGE ORDER IN MANCHESTER.
Please visit: http://www.manchesterorange.co.uk/
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Orange Order anywhere else in England, please send me a message with your contact details and I can pass them on to local lodges.

:thumb:

Bloody hell...... I knew Bolton had a march each year, and Southport too, but the local media has never reported this crap (thankfully.)
What are they actually marching for (I mean on the streets of Manchester:confused:)
And no, I have no desire to join the local lodge:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Bloody hell...... I knew Bolton had a march each year, and Southport too, but the local media has never reported this crap (thankfully.)
What are they actually marching for (I mean on the streets of Manchester:confused:)
And no, I have no desire to join the local lodge:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Forgive them on the streets they marched, turned bigotry into unpopular tunes.

They march to demonstrate loyalty to the Crown and their "freedoms" as Protestants, whatever that may be..

Well, I'm assuming the Manchester brethren march for the same reasons their Norn Iron ones do.

Last edited:
Tags
aintnohumanbein hemophilia nofuture
Back
Top Bottom