"Darling I Hug A Pillow" is one of his best songs ever

Great song with hidden depths and whilst listening with earphones the lush, dreamy soundscape with deep in the mix ethereal backing vocals reminded me of The Trembling Blue Stars, great band with incredible back catalogue.

Everything about this track is great. The vocal, the horns, the harmonies, the arrangement. Reminds me of Joan Armatrading at times. Definitely Top 5 Morrissey songs.
Joan Armourplated, any criticism just bounces off her ☺️

The vocals in the last section - that's him singing from beyond the grave, right? (That's how my brain hears it, every time.)

I play it that much that when I say alexa play darling I hug a pillow,she says AGAIN,

The vocals in the last section - that's him singing from beyond the grave, right? (That's how my brain hears it, every time.)
I'd describe it as otherworldly and he's used this method in several songs over the years, it's beautiful & heartbreaking at the same time.

I enjoy & appreciate the song & love the ending vocals but to me the words of “once I saw” & “my hurling days” are more touching, poetic & intimate. M reveals himself more intimately & openly- his own feelings about time, life.. memories... not just an a general love song to an anonymous persona not telling much about himself or the subject of these feelings. Of course It’s beautifully sang as are these other two that r opening a crack of the personal Morrissey which is more unique & special to me.

Some comments on the song off YouTube:
- 'Best song of 2020 and beyond - Magnificent piece of art'
- 'It has a quality & warmth as the song grows that constantly surprises, an absolute beauty'
- 'Oh my God! It's lovely!'
- 'The man's a dickhead these days. Probably always was. But by god, this song is brilliant. One of the very best of his solo career.'
- 'Having listened to this several times now, I've reached the inevitable conclusion: No words can describe how gorgeous it is.'
- 'Love this song. Somehow it reminds me of Echo and the Bunnymen's "Bring on The Dancing Horses".'
- 'Can't believe reviewers saw this as an album 'low point'?? It's my favourite of the bunch. Dreamy.'

These vocals are really a highlight and the best part of a breezy and catchy song.
His best pop song since 'First of the gang' and one of my favourite tracks on the album.

i cant say i like the trumpets on it, but i do like the soaring coda. a song of two halves.

Back
Top Bottom