Deon Meyer - Fever

A

Anonymous

This is pretty interesting. This novel was published in 2017 in the UK:

IMG-3174.jpg

IMG-3175.jpg

There's been magazine articles about potential pandemics for years & there's been a lot of books/films/plays on the theme. Someone was bound to get 'lucky' & have mentioned bats or lockdowns.

There's been magazine articles about potential pandemics for years & there's been a lot of books/films/plays on the theme. Someone was bound to get 'lucky' & have mentioned bats or lockdowns.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

It took him four years to research and write this novel. And yes, I know that there has been a lot of books, films etc regarding pandemics.

Interview here with Deon Meyer for anyone interested:

Excerpt:

"‘Nature paid no heed to theories’. Did Deon Meyer predict the COVID-19 pandemic in his novel Fever? A library interview"

"I started my search for a world-class expert on viruses, and found one in Prof. Wolfgang Preiser, chief of Medical Virology at Stellenbosch University’s Department of Pathology. The magnanimous and indulgent professor not only played along enthusiastically, but called upon his illustrious colleague Prof. Richard Tedder of University College London to help. They identified the corona virus as the best candidate (although they said my figure of 95% was way too pessimistic), and gave me full details on how it could happen, which I included extensively in the novel:"

It took him four years to research and write this novel. And yes, I know that there has been a lot of books, films etc regarding pandemics.

Excerpt:

"‘Nature paid no heed to theories’. Did Deon Meyer predict the COVID-19 pandemic in his novel Fever? A library interview"

"I started my search for a world-class expert on viruses, and found one in Prof. Wolfgang Preiser, chief of Medical Virology at Stellenbosch University’s Department of Pathology. The magnanimous and indulgent professor not only played along enthusiastically, but called upon his illustrious colleague Prof. Richard Tedder of University College London to help. They identified the corona virus as the best candidate (although they said my figure of 95% was way too pessimistic), and gave me full details on how it could happen, which I included extensively in the novel:"
I don't get what you are trying to prove here. If another virus had caused a pandemic would you be searching the archives for mentions of that virus? All you've done is point out what is essentially a coincidence.

Excerpt:

Instead of luck, we could call it research & timing.

If it was Ebola or one of the old diseases that are threatening to come back like TB, then another writer would be giving the same kind of interview.

I don't get what you are trying to prove here. If another virus had caused a pandemic would you be searching the archives for mentions of that virus? All you've done is point out what is essentially a coincidence.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm reading the novel and found it interesting. Fever "is now perceived as a prediction of the coronavirus pandemic."

Writers and artists are sometimes supposed to be able to foresee the future better than other people. Koors is now perceived as a prediction of the coronavirus pandemic. How do you look back on writing the book?
‘As I said, the real visionaries were professors Preiser and Tedder - and so many other scientists who warned us, but we did not take them seriously. All I did was to extrapolate their information, and try to imagine a pandemic and its aftermath. I must admit that I find no pleasure in having anticipated what is happening now. There is just too much pain for people who have lost loved ones under very difficult circumstances. My daughter lives in Italy (she is safe and healthy, I’m happy to report), my mother is almost 90 years old, so I have much to worry about.’

The phrase "batshit crazy" predicted the ideas in this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom