Morrissey Central "DO YOU REMEMBER … FAR BACK IN TIME …" (October 22, 2020)

A huge number of black Americans can trace their ancestry back to Africa via the slave trade. It's a geographical location that they have a connection to in the exact way that an Irish American has a connection to Ireland. So, no. It doesn't equal black.

From wikipedia:

African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans) are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa. The term African American generally denotes descendants of enslaved black people who are from the United States, while some recent black immigrants or their children may also come to identify as African-American or may identify differently.

From wikipedia:

African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans) are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa. The term African American generally denotes descendants of enslaved black people who are from the United States, while some recent black immigrants or their children may also come to identify as African-American or may identify differently.

They're a group of people with ancestry in Africa who have chosen to identify as African Americans.

That doesn't mean African equals black. You can't apply it to anyone who doesn't identify with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some bonkers wriggling, slash acrobatics, going on here I think..to an almost ridiculous, slash naiive, slash pc, degree. If this question was asked on Family Fortunes, the answer would be 'black'. Keep it real chaps, as opposed to tangential :rolleyes:

Some bonkers wriggling, slash acrobatics, going on here I think..to an almost ridiculous, slash naiive, slash pc, degree. If this question was asked on Family Fortunes, the answer would be 'black'. Keep it real chaps, as opposed to tangential :rolleyes:

What question?

Most people in Africa are black, most Europeans are white - but it's not a synonym.

What about the way some blacks treat whites? You must not have ever actually been to America
I've been to America several times. I never saw any blacks treating whites badly. Apart from the one policeman in Atlanta who gave me a hard time and that was hardly race-related.

🥸

by Jupiter!!! radish went to america and saw an old white dude abuse
a mexican family at a video store!!!:drama::drama:

all the way to america radish went to observe this infamy.:lbf:

who is the new fake user name you are having this dumb conversation with?:lbf:

Imagine having sex with James Baldwin. Christ.

If it was someone’s desire to have sex with James Baldwin or someone’s desire to have sex with you then I guess desire would lead that person to do so, or try to do so, or at least imagine to do so.

If using one’s imagination, and keeping in mind what people can accomplish through desire or love then no it wouldn’t be hard to imagine that.

"gene" and "Lloyd Cole". Christ.

On the one hand we have the new fans who are young and unaware just how great the younger moz was. What he symbolised etc.

Then we have the thicko little Englanders who think Paul Joseph Watson is edgy..

We then have the old guard.
They were there, went to the gigs have seen how high moz flew, seen how he refused to do what the press wanted him to do. There are shared moments. The trouble is like you, lots of these are so small town and blinkered.

As if America need to worry about Lloyd Cole and Gene.
Shit on a stick.

They had Simon and Garfunkle, Bob Dylan, The Doors, Steve Wonder, Elvis, Scott Walker, Talking Heads, NY Dolls, The Strokes etc etc

For film yanks gave new wave makers of the late 60s and 70s, then TV. American TV has been killing British TV for the last 29 years.
Comedy, Seinfeld, Larry David, the team behind Spinal tap, best in show, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy. Andy Kaufman.

The list goes on.
Gene, oh man they are so shit. Fat little Martin left his gf and new born baby to marry an American brit pop super fan. You need to up your influence grade

Though we may disagree which I assume we will. I believe with Scott Walker that Britain may have a claim on Walker even though he’s American and I feel the same way about Sparks.

They probably would never have become who they became if they didn’t leave America and live for a long period of time in Britain, especially Walker.

If it was someone’s desire to have sex with James Baldwin or someone’s desire to have sex with you then I guess desire would lead that person to do so, or try to do so, or at least imagine to do so.

If using one’s imagination, and keeping in mind what people can accomplish through desire or love then no it wouldn’t be hard to imagine that.

Did you have incense lit when you wrote that?

"I destroyed years of hippie craft."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom