Dog on a Chain review - Classic Pop (3.5 stars out of 5)

Gist of the review is it's his best album for some time.
Some great songs with interesting arrangements but quite a few are let down by duff lyrics.
Ends the review somewhat amusingly with the phrase, 'walkies!'.

(Note: See comments for scan by Famous when dead).

Last edited by a moderator:
Clueless in the U.S.: 1. What does "walkies!" mean? (Here in the US, the first thing that comes to mind is "walkie talkie.") 2. What is the significance of Alf Garnett? (The wiki page on him didn't help me.)

Walkies is wot you'd say to your dog. 'C'mon boy! Walkies!'

Alf Garnett is a character from a UK tv show from the seventies called 'Till Death Us Do Part. He was/is very un-pc. But some viewers didn't get it. He was playing a stereotypical racist, bigot etc. Funny as f*** btw!

Clueless in the U.S.: 1. What does "walkies!" mean? (Here in the US, the first thing that comes to mind is "walkie talkie.") 2. What is the significance of Alf Garnett? (The wiki page on him didn't help me.)

In the 1970's in the UK, there was a well known dog trainer called Barbara Woodhouse, whose catchphrase was "walkies!"

Alf Garnett was the main character of a long running BBC sitcom, who basically spent every episode complaining that England was on its way to hell in a handcart because of all the "darkies" living in the country. The more he complained, the bigger the dick he looked. I'll leave it to others to decide if the comparison is warranted.

Only after finishing this, did I see others have replied before me.

It’s something that some dog owners say to their dogs before taking them for a walk.

Hi - original poster here. I'm fairly certain it's 3.5 out of 5 stars.
They show 4 stars coz they need to half fill in the 4th to indicate it's 3.5.
No-one ever does reviews out of 4, do they?

In the 1970's in the UK, there was a well known dog trainer called Barbara Woodhouse, whose catchphrase was "walkies!"

Alf Garnett was the main character of a long running BBC sitcom, who basically spent every episode complaining that England was on its way to hell in a handcart because of all the "darkies" living in the country. The more he complained, the bigger the dick he looked. I'll leave it to others to decide if the comparison is warranted.

Only after finishing this, did I see others have replied before me.

I didn't know about the catchphrase though!! Or what Alf said because I've never seen an episode, I've just read about it.

For fear of giving someone a conniption fit - yes, it's out of 5 (from the same issue):

2020-02-27 15.04.30.png

OP changed to reflect said.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks, I see it has been changed back by another mod, now title is 3.5 / 5 stars. There should be an indicator of the missing star, that's a bit confusing with the review on its own.

On the Classic Pop website reviews are scored out of 10 so that makes it a bit more confusing.

Hi - original poster here. I'm fairly certain it's 3.5 out of 5 stars.
They show 4 stars coz they need to half fill in the 4th to indicate it's 3.5.
No-one ever does reviews out of 4, do they?

Personally I think the AG comparison is unfair. Alf wasn't a 1st generation immigrant, with a boyfriend, who meets the Stonewall definition of trans.

At least I don't think he was. ?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom