Favourite Morrissey album tracks / b-sides

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
Apologies if this has been done to death, but my friend Radis Noir says I haven’t discussed enough Morrissey related stuff in my short time here, so what are peoples favourites in the above category?

For me, the Maladjusted / Quarry period represents the best in b-sides generally, especially the Roy’s Keen single & ‘Dont make fun of daddy’s voice/ ‘No one can hold a candle to you’ (name that tune!) & album tracks wise, ‘Why don’t you find out for yourself’ & ‘National Front Disco’ are personal favourites.

Any thoughts? I look forward to hearing what Radis has to say in particular. He won’t comment though.

There's so many - I'm quite fond of I Thought You Were Dead. It's also a great idea for a thriller.

My favourite b-sides can be found, for the most part, on 'Swords.' Which is odd because the albums and albums sessions they come from aren't my favourite by a long shot. When it comes to tracks like 'Ganglord,' 'Friday Mourning,' 'My Life is a...,' and 'Christian Dior,' Morrissey rarely bettered those songs on any album or single. The mystery is why he relegated them to b-sides.
Some of the early b-sides are also very good. 'Michael's Bones,' 'Girl Least Likely To,' 'Sister I'm a Poet,' 'Hairdresser' as examples.

I can only assume that some of them didn’t fit the themes of the albums being put out at the time. Never played my dearest love and Christian Dior are three that immediately spring to mind for bsides that should have been on albums. The lyrics to Christian Dior are excellent and I don’t just mean for the words meaning but those lyrics are well constructed

My favourite b-sides can be found, for the most part, on 'Swords.' Which is odd because the albums and albums sessions they come from aren't my favourite by a long shot. When it comes to tracks like 'Ganglord,' 'Friday Mourning,' 'My Life is a...,' and 'Christian Dior,' Morrissey rarely bettered those songs on any album or single. The mystery is why he relegated them to b-sides.
Some of the early b-sides are also very good. 'Michael's Bones,' 'Girl Least Likely To,' 'Sister I'm a Poet,' 'Hairdresser' as examples.
I saw Ganglord on the Ringleaders tour when he debuted it live. I think it’s just like ‘Don’t make fun of daddy’s voice’, a new track he recorded after the album & didn’t want to wait.

And back in the day, when a single was a single, not like the shit charts we have now, a decent B-side was important.

Ganglord is a great track, even as an instrumental.

Swords is a favourite album of mine.
Only track that spoils it is Drive-In Saturday.

Swords is a favourite album of mine.
Only track that spoils it is Drive-In Saturday.
Agree with that...Drive In Saturday is a really poor song with clunky lyrics that are all over the place. Swords is a great compilation and it's long overdue for Swords 2.

Agree with that...Drive In Saturday is a really poor song with clunky lyrics that are all over the place. Swords is a great compilation and it's long overdue for Swords 2.
There hasn’t really been enough B-side material since then to do another one.

Good point, 4 albums later but too many live b-sides and no singles off Dog.
None off World Peace either. And the live tracks from Low In High School have already been rehashed on the deluxe edition.

Mind you, when has that ever stopped Morrissey? Re-issue, re-package, re-package.

There hasn’t really been enough B-side material since then to do another one.
Blue dreamers eyes
By the time
I couldn’t understand
I thought you were dead
Brow omy beloved
Plus the world peace’s extra tracks (five or six)
Plus lihs bonus tracks (four or five)
Plus the covers at recent concerts and maybe those that didn’t make the covers album cut

with a couple thousand f edits and some mastering this would make a fine release. Only about half is currently available on Spotify

Blue dreamers eyes
By the time
I couldn’t understand
I thought you were dead
Brow omy beloved
Plus the world peace’s extra tracks (five or six)
Plus lihs bonus tracks (four or five)
Plus the covers at recent concerts and maybe those that didn’t make the covers album cut

with a couple thousand f edits and some mastering this would make a fine release. Only about half is currently available on Spotify
I personally wouldn’t count the World Peace extra tracks as b-sides though? And recent live covers or tracks that didn’t make the covers album aren’t b-sides.

But I see your point.

I personally wouldn’t count the World Peace extra tracks as b-sides though? And recent live covers or tracks that didn’t make the covers album aren’t b-sides.

But I see your point.
I guess I just yearn for a non album compilation and I’d say there’s plenty of tracks that would make a nice comp together especially the YouTube stuff mixed with the world peace extra tracks

Nobody Loves Us is one of favourite Morrissey songs of all let alone as a favourite b-side. Obviously Morrissey isn't that keen on it as he has only sung it live 17 times and yet embarrassing dross like I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris he has sung live 434 times

Nobody Loves Us is one of favourite Morrissey songs of all let alone as a favourite b-side. Obviously Morrissey isn't that keen on it as he has only sung it live 17 times and yet embarrassing dross like I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris he has sung live 434 times

Just because he hasn’t done it live as many times as the other songs I don’t think that really means he doesn’t like the song.

But I agree, it’s a beauty.

I’m ready to go as far as to say that The Never-Played Symphonies is my all time favorite Morrissey track. Period.

Back
Top Bottom