Film "Shoplifers of the World" U.S. release in 2021, U.S. Deal With RLJE Films - Variety

Finally this film will be released in 2021.

AMC Networks-owned RLJE Films has swooped for U.S. rights to “Shoplifters of the World.”

Inspired by true events, “Shoplifters of the World” is set over the course of one night in the life of four friends who are reeling from the sudden dissolution of British band The Smiths. The same evening, a local radio station is also hijacked by an armed, impassioned Smiths fan, resulting in a madcap evening that sends up the spirit of the 1980s.

Starring Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike”) as the radio DJ and Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”) as the hijacker, the film also stars Helena Howard (“Madeline’s Madeline”) and Elena Kampouris (“Before I Fall”). “Shoplifters of the World” is written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“We Are X”) and also features 20 tracks from The Smiths.

The U.K.’s WestEnd Films, which is handling international rights, has also sold the film into Japan (Parco), China (Time-in-Portrait Entertainment), the Middle East (Front Row), Portugal (Nos Lusomundo Audiovisuais), Turkey (Fabula) and Taiwan (B-Side Film). WestEnd is overseeing sales for the title at this week’s Toronto International Film Festival.

The U.S. distribution deal was negotiated by Mark Ward and Jess De Leo at RLJE Films and the producers. RLJE Films, which recently distributed the Shia LaBeouf-starring “The Tax Collector,” is planning to release “Shoplifters” early next year.

CAA Media Finance helped to arrange financing on the film.

“With ‘Shoplifters of the World,’ Stephen Kijak brilliantly transports us right back to the 1980s with the amazing look of the film and the unbelievable soundtrack,” said Ward, chief acquisitions officer for RLJE Films. “We are incredibly excited to bring this story and these great performances to U.S. audiences in 2021.”

“Shoplifters of the World” is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister (“The Tale”), 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello (“La Bare”) and Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse, from Piccadilly Pictures, is executive producing.

WestEnd Films’ TIFF slate also includes Pierce Brosnan-starrer “The Last Rifleman,” Frieda Pinto and Constance Wu’s “Mr. Malcolm’s List” and the Ewan McGregor-led “The Cow.”

UPDATE Sep. 15:

Link posted by Nerak:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to get out more.

Actually I’m a bit surprised. Instead of ‘Back to the future’, reel could have said the last great Hollywood film was D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation.

It’s astounding to watch the slump mentality of people who jumped the ship of musical quality and reality, in order to follow Morrissey, all the way down this shit-hole.

It used to be about separating the art from the artist. Now, for that lot, it’s got nothing to do with music.

Morrissey hasn’t released a decent tune in 25 years. His fans are like angry, dying, fruitcakes at a family Christmas dinner. Too many nuts and not enough substance.
If you really believe Morrissey hasn't released a decent tune in 25 years, I have news for you:

You have either a poor taste in music,

or you're just intellectually dishonest.

It really is NOT a good book. I would concur with Amy & the Anonymous poster.
And yes, I have read it.

It's a nice read, don't get me wrong. It's just that he's the musical 'Ned Flanders' who has never argued with anyone, ever, and he's so endlessly kind and lovely and accommodating that it all gets a bit disingenuous and one-dimensional after a while. It's the same reason that JM's lyrics completely lack any depth - he's an absolutely A-star human being but it's a bit dull. Moz' Autobio puts all his misery, anger & demons out there- where they always were.

It really is NOT a good book. I would concur with Amy & the Anonymous poster.
And yes, I have read it.

I only had a glance, but he seemed to be making a big deal out of his David Cameron tweet getting some publicity - so I'm going to guess it's low on drama.

to all those crying out for another pop biopic. Most pop stars, even legendary ones lead surprisingly dull lives, consequently biogs are usually a drag to read. Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. As you were.

to all those crying out for another pop biopic. Most pop stars, even legendary ones lead surprisingly dull lives, consequently biogs are usually a drag to read. Of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. As you were.

24 hour party people (Factory Records story) and Control (Joy Division) are very good in my opinion.

It's a nice read, don't get me wrong. It's just that he's the musical 'Ned Flanders' who has never argued with anyone, ever, and he's so endlessly kind and lovely and accommodating that it all gets a bit disingenuous and one-dimensional after a while. It's the same reason that JM's lyrics completely lack any depth - he's an absolutely A-star human being but it's a bit dull. Moz' Autobio puts all his misery, anger & demons out there- where they always were.

That's the thing about Johnny's book. He puts the facts out there and leaves it up to you to form your opinion. I heard an old interview, I hope I'm remembering right, about how he portrayed Mike Joyce in the book. The interviewer mentioned how Joyce could not commit to the Smiths until they began to have success and he seemed to be an opportunist. And Johnny said something like that's how he meant to portray him by laying out what happened. It's an interesting way to write that makes the book seem deceptively simple, particularly if someone is skimming it for juicy bits.

Also Johnny's book is full of action and things he did. Things that are easier to show in a movie. Morrissey's book was all interior dialogue. "England Is Mine" showed a lot of shots of him staring moodily at bodies of water, thoughts and feelings not an easy or exciting thing to show on screen.

That's the thing about Johnny's book. He puts the facts out there and leaves it up to you to form your opinion. I heard an old interview, I hope I'm remembering right, about how he portrayed Mike Joyce in the book. The interviewer mentioned how Joyce could not commit to the Smiths until they began to have success and he seemed to be an opportunist. And Johnny said something like that's how he meant to portray him by laying out what happened. It's an interesting way to write that makes the book seem deceptively simple, particularly if someone is skimming it for juicy bits.

Also Johnny's book is full of action and things he did. Things that are easier to show in a movie. Morrissey's book was all interior dialogue. "England Is Mine" showed a lot of shots of him staring moodily at bodies of water, thoughts and feelings not an easy or exciting thing to show on screen.

🤒

nobody has read that awful :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: book. Nobody bought it or read it.
It bombed:bomb:
from all the BS contained inside of it.:highfive:

That's the thing about Johnny's book. He puts the facts out there and leaves it up to you to form your opinion.

But then what's the point of writing a book, if it doesn't depict your own thoughts and experiences? It's a memoir, it's supposed to have juicy bits. There are loads of Smiths books out there which give you the basic Who/What/Where of the band (including this crap biog), it's not unreasonable to expect a bit more insight from the guy who drove it all. And Moz' interior dialogue was brilliant - the book was worth it just for his absurd, hilarious eviscerations of Geoff Travis and Bryan Ferry.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I want to see the manager of the Karen Meme & demand it's renamed. :swear

You pretty much have to kill a kitten for me to cancel you, & you'd want to be cancelled because I would hunt you down for killing a kitten.

🙄🙄🙄

You'll Be Gone
I Wish You Lonely
Jim Jim Falls
At Amber
Morning Starship
Lady Willpower
Once I Saw The River Clean
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Munich Air Disaster 1958
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Home Is A Question Mark
Love Is On Its Way Out
Back On The Chain Gang
Never Again Will I Be A Twin
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Some Say I Got Devil
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
That's How People Grow Up

Facts

It's a terrible place. They spent the morning attacking Robbie Coltrane & this afternoon on Noel Gallagher.

View attachment 59096

Robbie and Noel deserve their ultimate fate of demise. Whether it’s COVID-19 or someone doing what needs to be done, this world will be better without them.

What

More narcissistic bullshit from the once was. Going on two decades since he’s out out anything listening two, yet here these rubes are - laying down their lives and reputations for the washed-up, bitter old codger.

It’s not Morrissey that needs to be dealt with. With his diet, he’ll be dead in a couple of years.

It’s the ignorant, unhinged fan-base (as it currently exists) that’s a real concern. Will they swallow the Kool-aid at his grave or will they carry on like North Koreans, as if Dear Leader is still very much in charge?

They’re already well past the point where death is an end. It’s a sickness. I feel for the other members of The Smiths. ....an incredible band, usurped by Moonies, Branch Davidians and Jehovah’ Witnesses.

Wee daft c***s, really. No?

Facts 100%.

If they do this movie up right, it could be an insightful illustration
of how Mr. Kiss didn't let the gribbles get a hold of'em.
Hope they don't trick it up with myth and Hollywoodize this thing out.
“Hollywoodize”. That’s hilarious. The film took 10 years to make, all private independent financing. All blood sweat and many many tears. There is nothing Hollywood about this film. It is truly an independent work, hand crafted and toiled over by a small gang of people united by a singular purpose and a love of the music. It is not the James Kiss story but is inspired by his intentions. He did not get away with it as you know. He never made it inside the station. We imagine a like-minded soul who did. It is a fable, woven from stolen lines and lyrics and images. And it has 20 Smiths songs in it.

You say washed up & bitter like it's a bad thing.

15ebfca3e8984ea6230fa3ded305a472.gif

“Hollywoodize”. That’s hilarious. The film took 10 years to make, all private independent financing. All blood sweat and many many tears. There is nothing Hollywood about this film. It is truly an independent work, hand crafted and toiled over by a small gang of people united by a singular purpose and a love of the music. It is not the James Kiss story but is inspired by his intentions. He did not get away with it as you know. He never made it inside the station. We imagine a like-minded soul who did. It is a fable, woven from stolen lines and lyrics and images. And it has 20 Smiths songs in it.

Hahaa!
So ya did Hollywoodize it up.
I'm very proud of ya raisin' up the fundin',
but when ya make a fake story, then it's Hollywoodized.

but when ya make a fake story, then it's Hollywoodized.
Not really, it's usually referred to as "telling a story". Like every film, book or play does 😉

I can't wait to see it! Will there be any fictionalized Smiths in it? The back of a quiff or a flash of Rickenbacker? Maybe on a tv set? Was the movie changed in any way due to the recent Morrissey issues? Have any of the Smiths seen it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom