Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

She's very sweet - but I don't think he needs this right now.

where are the usual suspectst waiting to get tore in.they will be here in,
five,
four.
three.
two.
one.

How sick and tired I am of this woman. She more than anyone is pushing the narrative that Moz is politically incorrect and subversive. She thinks she’s doing him a favor, but she’s just reminding the haters why they hate him. If anyone is reading her stuff, that is. He hasn’t said anything in a good while, nor has the media. But she’s has a new article out every week, all saying the same thing.

And by the way, as much as I adore Moz (and I do), Johnny was just as important for the Smiths music as Moz was. Only the most deluded Moz fans (those that feel that they’re more loyal to Moz if they hate Johnny) will claim otherwise.

I can't believe someone gets paid for this trite, sixth-form level, 'stating the obvious' Cliffs Notes guide to Moz.

Morrissey did better than Andy Rourke after the Smiths? No shit. The article title is clickbait because she makes no real effort to examine his career at all - just vague references to "endless artistic successes", which is disingenuous to say the least.

It's a shame because Morrissey did escape the Smiths legacy and he did it extremely well. By Ringleader, the race to prove 'life after the Smiths' was won by a thousand miles. Then, SO far ahead, he inexplicably hacked off his legs, and Johnny Marr pulled his running shoes out of the cupboard.

I can't believe someone gets paid for this trite, sixth-form level, 'stating the obvious' Cliffs Notes guide to Moz.

Morrissey did better than Andy Rourke after the Smiths? No shit. The article title is clickbait because she makes no real effort to examine his career at all - just vague references to "endless artistic successes", which is disingenuous to say the least.

It's a shame because Morrissey did escape the Smiths legacy and he did it extremely well. By Ringleader, the race to prove 'life after the Smiths' was won by a thousand miles. Then, SO far ahead, he inexplicably hacked off his legs, and Johnny Marr pulled his running shoes out of the cupboard.
Gets paid?

Don't refuse to read it!

It's really good.
It really isn't. It might have been mildly timely had it been written 2 years ago (and really just "timely" not suggesting in any way insightful). If the point is shameless fawning it's successful. Other than that it struggles to do much more than state the obvious. Is Fiona aware that the role of Best Friend on the Payroll is not forthcoming?

:)

FFS Fiona, as an excellent journalist, is simply stating the obvious, that L:frogface:
and the 🚜's were total sucos that held Moz with their very very limited skilks.
Once he gave them the ⛹️‍♂️ the music improved a billion fold.🙋‍♂️

Never mind this Morrissey fella.

What í really need to know right now is HOW YVETTE FIELDING OUTRAN HER BLUE PETER PAST...?

Fiona D is first on the scene ~

:rock:

I can't believe someone gets paid for this trite,

Does she get paid?

It states published on @Media but do they pay the people that contribute? Can’t be much, if that’s true.

I don’t think money is really her motive for writing about Morrissey.

Fiona Dodwell: "How I flogged Morrissey to death in desperate attempts to get him to notice me (and why nobody gives a f— what I think)"​

for someone with 28 messages in 12 years you sure have got a lot to say for yourself.

Never mind this Morrissey fella.

What í really need to know right now is HOW YVETTE FIELDING OUTRAN HER BLUE PETER PAST...?

Fiona D is first on the scene ~

:rock:

sounds like you have never seen most haunted with the late great derek pakora,i see dead people.used to like that show on the living channel,just noticed,a show about dead people on the living channel.

How sick and tired I am of this woman. She more than anyone is pushing the narrative that Moz is politically incorrect and subversive. She thinks she’s doing him a favor, but she’s just reminding the haters why they hate him. If anyone is reading her stuff, that is. He hasn’t said anything in a good while, nor has the media. But she’s has a new article out every week, all saying the same thing.

And by the way, as much as I adore Moz (and I do), Johnny was just as important for the Smiths music as Moz was. Only the most deluded Moz fans (those that feel that they’re more loyal to Moz if they hate Johnny) will claim otherwise.

Morrissey was more important to the mythic proportions The Smiths reached, as Fiona described it.

I am not a deluded fan and I don't hate JM. It's the opposite. I admire his art in The Smiths and respect his devoted work as a musician, even though I don't know much of it.

JM was very important and the partnership Moz/Marr created great music, but he doesn't appear to me as important as Morrissey when I consider the philosophical, aesthetic, poetic and imagetic appeal of The Smiths.

I agree with Fiona: Morrissey was the face of The Smiths. To me and to many, many fans.

In The Smiths it's his face, his lyrics, his voice and his image that's remained indelible in our hearts and souls throughout the years.

Does she get paid?

It states published on @Media but do they pay the people that contribute? Can’t be much, if that’s true.

I don’t think money is really her motive for writing about Morrissey.
No, as others said it's clearly to get his attention and sadly, it's working. He doesn't seem to have very high standards when judging anyone pushing the martyr narrative.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom