Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey reflects on 'the horror of 2020' after departure from BMG" (November 17, 2020)

Morrissey reflects on 'the horror of 2020' after departure from BMG.

BMG should surely be begging for Morrissey's hand for every future release he will produce.
For there lies true diversity: committing, with loyalty, to an individual who thrives as completely himself in a sea of conformity.

Regards,
FWD.

Update:
November 18, 2020.
Now the topic of a Central post:
Update:
November 28, 2020.
Now a YouTube video:

I'm not sure that latter part is totally the case. Many people do stream Morrissey, but radio stations won't play his stuff so he has limited exposure.
I agree. How is he expected to expand the audience base if he's never played on radio? DJs these days seem to be thicker than ever. I think Moz is as much a victim of overall dumbing down of music as much as political correctness. The sheep don't want to have to think. Just give them a beat with inane lyrics and expletives.

The thing is, I feel Morrissey doesn’t understand why the labels don’t try to sell him as he is, he being the ultimate alternative to what is in the charts. Token weirdo, madman, voice of reason.. but of course not, for a label to package that that would actually take some brains, work and dare I say ? .... money from their own pockets. Not in these times.

It was never perfect for artists and their relationships with labels, but there seemed to be a time when big labels were creative and didn’t mind taking the risk as long as they made some money back and they seemed proud to have such difficult artists on their label.
It reminds me of the record label's reaction on hearing The Cure's Disintegration for the first time. Bitter disappointment and prophesising the end of their career. It was too 'difficult' for them, and only platinum sales convinced them otherwise. Labels have no imagination, no pride and no faith in their artists. They also don't care about toxic emissions from shit music into the musical atmosphere. Knee jerk reactions to public opinion trumps intelligent decision making. Unfortunately some of Moz's declarations in recent years may have made it easier for them to write him off.

It reminds me of the record label's reaction on hearing The Cure's Disintegration for the first time. Bitter disappointment and prophesising the end of their career. It was too 'difficult' for them, and only platinum sales convinced them otherwise. Labels have no imagination, no pride and no faith in their artists. They also don't care about toxic emissions from shit music into the musical atmosphere. Knee jerk reactions to public opinion trumps intelligent decision making. Unfortunately some of Moz's declarations in recent years may have made it easier for them to write him off.
It was the same when Bowie presented Low to the label and they didn’t want to release it they wanted another Young Americans they wanted more hits, same old story they just don’t want to take a risk.

There is little love for true artists in their eyes, and it seems these days no love at all.
And there’s no need for true artists if the label can just as easily put enough money behind untalented safe crap and buy their way into the high charts and dictate to the public what it’s needs and musical wants are.

Money changes everything, and so does lack of imagination and pride in being a little different.

Not true, Morrissey has a massive back catalogue. Without adequate promotion, there isn’t the consumer focus to make an impact on the charts. But significant Morrissey interest remains. Certainly enough to get him back in the charts.

BMG intentionally tanked Dog: an LP with at least 3 (possibly 4) potential top twenty singles on it.
Completely correct 👍

Is Fiona a Morrissey sycophant and apologist? Of course! But she is also correct, while the music industry promotes "flavors of the month" with "nothing of note to offer", these unsustainable acts companies like BMG seek to promote are dwarfed by the long-term sales of recorded music and live, in-concert legacy artists, such as Morrissey. Is M difficult to handle as a client? Absolutely! But, I gather BMG did not lose money on M, since they minimally promoted him...the right record company for M is still out there...M may have to hold his nose while he signs the next contract, but in the end it will be worth it.

:)

EXCELLENT ARTICLE BY FIONA!!!:thumb:
BMG are RACIST CUCKS!!!(n)

all the skinny brownnoses- led by "Big Tits" Surface are expected
shortly with their trolling commentary:rock:

There's no freedom of speech in Morrisseys world.
Fiona is a paid lackey,
working for a textbook narcissist and extreme control freak.

Is Fiona a Morrissey sycophant and apologist? Of course! But she is also correct, while the music industry promotes "flavors of the month" with "nothing of note to offer", these unsustainable acts companies like BMG seek to promote are dwarfed by the long-term sales of recorded music and live, in-concert legacy artists, such as Morrissey. Is M difficult to handle as a client? Absolutely! But, I gather BMG did not lose money on M, since they minimally promoted him...the right record company for M is still out there...M may have to hold his nose while he signs the next contract, but in the end it will be worth it.

Not sure about the making money element. Non of know who pays for the recording which can be substantial. There seemed to be a lot of advertising for California Son in the UK, if they didn't recoup a return on the investment maybe that led to decision not to spend money on promoting the last album.

BMG will be bankrupt and sold off in less than a year.:thumb:

It also seems likely that BMG hand was forced sooner as a result of M's bitch move of putting out the Bowie duet to spite them in response to the "It's Over" fiasco.

Completely correct 👍
Nonsense. Can you guess how much money is actually spent on a recording to get it into the top 20 these days? A few thousand. That's it. Charts don't matter. You don't make your money on releases if you're of Morrissey's vintage these days, you make it by touring. And there ain't no tours.

Nonsense. Can you guess how much money is actually spent on a recording to get it into the top 20 these days? A few thousand. That's it. Charts don't matter. You don't make your money on releases if you're of Morrissey's vintage these days, you make it by touring. And there ain't no tours.
receipts ?

Morrisseys fifth most popular song on Spotify is back on the chain gang and spent the day in bed was also popular both bmg releases. He’s not done so poorly while on the label

Not true, Morrissey has a massive back catalogue. Without adequate promotion, there isn’t the consumer focus to make an impact on the charts. But significant Morrissey interest remains. Certainly enough to get him back in the charts.

BMG intentionally tanked Dog: an LP with at least 3 (possibly 4) potential top twenty singles on it.
I don’t think Morrissey will ever have another top 20 single, probably not even top 40. He just doesn’t have the download market.

The only exception could be (quite seriously) when he dies. And all the ‘fans’ start lamenting his loss.

But it is also about how the media want to portray him. In the mid 90s, when he was virtually finished, his singles, some great singles as well, tanked. When they decided to re-embrace him in 2004, he was back in the top 10. (Pre-download of course).

If Irish Blood or First of the gang had come out in 1997, they’d have bombed & if Boy Racer or Sunny had come out in 2004, they’d have been top 10.

I don’t think Morrissey will ever have another top 20 single, probably not even top 40. He just doesn’t have the download market.

The only exception could be (quite seriously) when he dies. And all the ‘fans’ start lamenting his loss.

But it is also about how the media want to portray him. In the mid 90s, when he was virtually finished, his singles, some great singles as well, tanked. When they decided to re-embrace him in 2004, he was back in the top 10. (Pre-download of course).

If Irish Blood or First of the gang had come out in 1997, they’d have bombed & if Boy Racer or Sunny had come out in 2004, they’d have been top 10.
It’s a rollercoaster. It would only take some Smiths revival—even if only through a film soundtrack or a popular cover—and Morrissey’s stock would be through the roof again.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom