Jean Unsworth, former secretary of the Salford Lads Club passes away at 89

Regards,
FWD.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The following article appeared in the MEN newspaper on August 2nd, 1988 and was written by Ray King:

"Stay away from us, club tells pop pests"

'Angry youth leaders have complained bitterly about being linked with controversial Manchester pop band The Smiths.

newspaper cutting: photo of Mrs Unsworth giving Smiths record the thumbs down

Salford Lads' Club was used as a background for photographs on a hit record sleeve and accompanying video.

Then coach-loads of Smiths' fans attending a convention turned up on the doorstep as part of a "pilgrimage" of places associated with the group, who have now split up.

Jean Unsworth, the Salford Lads' Club Secretary said: "We want to make it quite clear that this group has no connection with us whatsoever.

"We've been having trouble with this group for some time. They have used our name and photographs of the club on their record sleeve and on T-shirts without permission. They have never been members of the club and we have no desire to be connected with them."

Her husband, Ken, one of two leaders at the club in Regent Road, said: "They used us for a disgusting record called The Queen Is Dead.

Newspaper cutting: photo of The Smiths outside the club.

Trips
"We sought legal advice but we were told it would cost a great deal of money to take them to court. As we are a voluntary club of 85 years standing run by voluntary contributions and volunteer helpers it would be impossible to go any further in connection with this matter."

The club has been pestered by letters and phone calls from Smiths fans since the record was issued.

The Smiths convention was based at the Manchester University Student's Union and coach trips were organised to locations including Southern Cemetery and Strangeways for fans from all over Britain and Europe.

A spokesman at the union said: "It was put on by an outside organisation who just booked the rooms. It was nothing to do with us."'

Regards,
FWD.

Slow news day? ...or just a teaser education for all of Melvis’ new minions - who have no concept of history?

The following article appeared in the MEN newspaper on August 2nd, 1988 and was written by Ray King:

"Stay away from us, club tells pop pests"

'Angry youth leaders have complained bitterly about being linked with controversial Manchester pop band The Smiths.

newspaper cutting: photo of Mrs Unsworth giving Smiths record the thumbs down

Salford Lads' Club was used as a background for photographs on a hit record sleeve and accompanying video.

Then coach-loads of Smiths' fans attending a convention turned up on the doorstep as part of a "pilgrimage" of places associated with the group, who have now split up.

Jean Unsworth, the Salford Lads' Club Secretary said: "We want to make it quite clear that this group has no connection with us whatsoever.

"We've been having trouble with this group for some time. They have used our name and photographs of the club on their record sleeve and on T-shirts without permission. They have never been members of the club and we have no desire to be connected with them."

Her husband, Ken, one of two leaders at the club in Regent Road, said: "They used us for a disgusting record called The Queen Is Dead.

Newspaper cutting: photo of The Smiths outside the club.

Trips
"We sought legal advice but we were told it would cost a great deal of money to take them to court. As we are a voluntary club of 85 years standing run by voluntary contributions and volunteer helpers it would be impossible to go any further in connection with this matter."

The club has been pestered by letters and phone calls from Smiths fans since the record was issued.

The Smiths convention was based at the Manchester University Student's Union and coach trips were organised to locations including Southern Cemetery and Strangeways for fans from all over Britain and Europe.

A spokesman at the union said: "It was put on by an outside organisation who just booked the rooms. It was nothing to do with us."'

Regards,
FWD.
The Smiths have been rewritten into history as one of the big massive 80s bands that everybody loved. In fact, at the time - as this article shows - things were quite different.

They were outsiders.

The Smiths have been rewritten into history as one of the big massive 80s bands that everybody loved. In fact, at the time - as this article shows - things were quite different.

They were outsiders.

I wasn't around then, but looking back at Morrissey's publicity it's ALWAYS been awful apart from a brief moment in about 2004-2006 when they tried to make him a castrated National Treasure.

I prefer him as a National Disgrace - but only if he can still tour & make records! And he needs a couple of hacks or outlets who appreciate his rebellion or that becomes too precarious.

I wasn't around then, but looking back at Morrissey's publicity it's ALWAYS been awful apart from a brief moment in about 2004-2006 when they tried to make him a castrated National Treasure.

I prefer him as a National Disgrace - but only if he can still tour & make records! And he needs a couple of hacks or outlets who appreciate his rebellion or that becomes too precarious.
Something seemed to happen in about 2000 (I think it was then); I recall the NME having a readers’/critics’ poll to establish the greatest band of the 20th Century. The Smiths won, beating The Beatles; suddenly in the flick of a switch Nick Kent’s late 80s prediction seemed to be realised. Media warmth grew from there and Morrissey eventually got the record deal he was holding out for in 2003. Normal, hostile, media relations resumed after the NME’s 2006 interview.

The high/low point of the new wave of media hostilities was (for me) when Morrissey ‘accidentally’ dropped Simon Armitage’s CD (Armitage was interviewing) during an interview for The Guardian; the latter had secreted it in a book of his own work—gifted to Morrissey. Morrissey said “Is this yours?” Or something similar, and gave it straight back to poor Simon. The Guardian never forgave Morrissey. And Simon Armitage immediately swore allegiance to The Queen.

I wasn't around then either but I can see that musical history has been re-written. In the mid/late 80s the mainstream was Level 42, Dire Straits, U2, Phil Collins etc. The Smiths were strictly alternative - you either massively loved them or hated them (most hated them). Watch a contemporary programme on the 80s and it will always mention the Smiths as if they were a big household name. They weren't.

You're right about Moz's National Treasure period. That never sat well with me. Nor Morrissey I think - perhaps he saw it as a holiday, a little novelty for a change, but he soon crashed it to a halt in his usual way and is now happy and confidently creative again.

Something seemed to happen in about 2000 (I think it was then); I recall the NME having a readers’/critics’ poll to establish the greatest band of the 20th Century. The Smiths won, beating The Beatles; suddenly in the flick of a switch Nick Kent’s late 80s prediction seemed to be realised. Media warmth grew from there and Morrissey eventually got the record deal he was holding out for in 2003. Normal, hostile, media relations resumed after the NME’s 2006 interview.

The high/low point of the new wave of media hostilities was (for me) when Morrissey ‘accidentally’ dropped Simon Armitage’s CD (Armitage was interviewing) during an interview for The Guardian; the latter had secreted it in a book of his own work—gifted to Morrissey. Morrissey said “Is this yours?” Or something similar, and gave it straight back to poor Simon. The Guardian never forgave Morrissey. And Simon Armitage immediately swore allegiance to The Queen.

That interview is probably the most damaging. It has the only pull-quote that looks genuinely racist, if you cut out the caveat & the context, which they always do. If Simon wanted revenge for Moz not being a fan of his, he got it.

I wasn't around then either but I can see that musical history has been re-written. In the mid/late 80s the mainstream was Level 42, Dire Straits, U2, Phil Collins etc. The Smiths were strictly alternative - you either massively loved them or hated them (most hated them). Watch a contemporary programme on the 80s and it will always mention the Smiths as if they were a big household name. They weren't.

You're right about Moz's National Treasure period. That never sat well with me. Nor Morrissey I think - perhaps he saw it as a holiday, a little novelty for a change, but he soon crashed it to a halt in his usual way and is now happy and confidently creative again.

I can't tell whether Surface wants Morrissey to be some boring mainstream act or if he just wants Morrissey to notice & acknowledge that Fans Are Angry With Him & Have Put Him On The Naughty Step.

But I can't see many people being interested in Bono in 50 years time, whereas I can imagine Mozology being a thing.

I can't tell whether Surface wants Morrissey to be some boring mainstream act or if he just wants Morrissey to notice & acknowledge that Fans Are Angry With Him & Have Put Him On The Naughty Step.

But I can't see many people being interested in Bono in 50 years time, whereas I can imagine Mozology being a thing.
Surface wants Morrissey to get to his knees in tears pleading forgiveness for his supposed 'racism'.

In other words Surface wants Moz to not be Moz.

Morrissey bows to nobody - and never says sorry. Bog standard 'music fans' like Surface feel alienated from M's political comments because he never really understood the man in the first place - and is probably still living in a past where people like Billy Bragg actually seemed relevant.

Surface wants Morrissey to get to his knees in tears pleading forgiveness for his supposed 'racism'.

Moz bows to nobody. Bog standard 'music fans' like Surface feel alienated from M's political comments because he never really understood the man in the first place - and is probably still living in a past where people like Billy Bragg actually looked relevant.

There's definitely a desire in some people to see conformity & contrition.

Morrissey bows to nobody - and never says sorry. Bog standard 'music fans' like Surface feel alienated from M's political comments because he never really understood the man in the first place - and is probably still living in a past where people like Billy Bragg actually seemed relevant.

I have never said Morrissey is a racist, you will not find a post anywhere on this site where I have said he is.

You know nothing Karen. The Morrissey I want will never return, the Morrissey I saw in years gone by was a guy with brilliant wit, a superb songwriter and vibrant energetic frontman with a fabulous voice and charming. What you see today is a bitter man with a good voice who releases ok albums.

I never in a million years expected to see him posting shit about being number 1 for a day on some chart nobody has ever heard of or sucking up to shite political parties.

I have never said Morrissey is a racist, you will not find a post anywhere on this site where I have said he is.
In that case I take those comments back - I may be getting you mixed up with someone else. But you are very critical of Morrissey, to the point of obsession. I may be wrong, but it's almost as if you want him to fail - all the time. For example when he played those glorious recent shows in Leeds and London you were gunning for those gigs to be complete flops (they weren't).

You know nothing Karen. The Morrissey I want will never return, the Morrissey I saw in years gone by was a guy with brilliant wit, a superb songwriter and vibrant energetic frontman with a fabulous voice and charming. What you see today is a bitter man with a good voice who releases ok albums.

I never in a million years expected to see him posting shit about being number 1 for a day on some chart nobody has ever heard of or sucking up to shite political parties.
You say Moz is no longer a:

Brilliant wit - nothing has changed.

Superb songwriter' his new LP is his most confident and creative work in years.

Energetic frontman - okay he doesn't dance and flail like he did in the Smiths, but he was a young man then and he's now 60. However he is the still an absolutely magnetic and charismatic performer.

Fabulous voice and charming - Was I hallucinating at Wembley? His voice is better than ever and he told the fans he 'loved them' so genuinely.

Shite political parties - the political party he espoused supports the banning of cruel halal meat practices and wants to introduce equal rights and equal laws for every citizen - unlike now where certain people can produce race cards giving them more rights than those who can't. What's not to like?

I reckon that old Brittish lady got it. The California Son has nothing to do with that Brittish YMCA. This was a publicity shot that their manager at the time thought would be good when they were probably taking the California Son to the airport to fly back home to LA after a Brittish tour. THE CALIFORNIA SON NEVER RETURNED THERE DUMBSHITS! You can see how dude is so cold he wants to fold up his arms like a native Southern Californian. You people are lost vegamite sandwich chipper curry c*** tit twat inn n nnn nn nnn nnnnn nnn n it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom