Johnny Marr - Night and Day

I don't even think the music's okay - bland muzak. God, what an awful song, but no surprise. And the video's cringeworthy too. How much worse can this guy get? Every time he releases a new record I think he's touched bottom, only to be proven wrong with the next release. Still, as long as none of his releases touch my bottom, I can live with it.
Correct. And to think this man constantly slags of Morrissey’s solo material.

Rounding up 850,000 simpletons on social media is not an achievement. That's a worldwide following that's less than the population of Birmingham.

Ah, so you're not a fan if other people having different opinions to you I take it.

Rounding up 850,000 simpletons on social media is not an achievement. That's a worldwide following that's less than the population of Birmingham.

:)

exactly very astute🧐

anyone can get simpletons on FB :roundpushpin:

next LePew 'album' will be more of the same: 'up down growthspurt down up sideways ..etc"

:hammer:

Hey dudes, it's a great song and sounds wonderful on the radio - Radio 2 just now. A real uplifting banger.

Confession: I've never really listened to any of Marr's solo work (or with other bands, to be honest), before. I adored him in the Smiths, of course.

I've just listened to all of the 9 tracks that are currently available from Fever Dreams, pts. 1-4 and...I just don't get it. He clearly has amazing musical knowledge and taste but so much of this just makes me think of indie/dance/rock by numbers from the early 90s. The vocal melodies are almost non-existent (apart from the chorus to "Night and Day", which just about sticks). The lyrics appear to be trying their hardest to say absolutely nothing. At its best, the music sounds like a Noel Gallagher album track but with none of Noel's grasp of melody, or hook. If this was by an unknown artist, it simply wouldn't get signed up by a record company.

In a way, it's almost like Johnny's turned int0 (or always was?) the polar opposite of Morrissey. With Morrissey, there's almost too much: too many opinions, too much wordplay, too much of himself in everything; with Marr, from listening to this, I would have literally no idea what kind of person he is. It sounds like the music they'd have on in the background of an "alt-rock" nightclub in a scene from a really shit Hollywood movie. And it just feels jarring, the blandness of this stuff, when Johnny clearly still thinks of himself as some kind of Postcard/Rough Trade/Factory guy. Ah well.
:laughing:

Ah, so you're not a fan if other people having different opinions to you I take it.

Apart from not making any grammatical sense, this reply appears to be a complete non-sequitur to the post you quoted.

I'll guess that you mean "you can't be a fan if you object to other people having different opinions to you". Which is clearly not the case. Of course you can.

Not sure what it's got to do anyway with pointing out that it's easy to round up 850,000 simpletons on social media. I'm sure they're all huge fans of Johnny's songs - that doesn't stop them being simple-minded.

I'm not a fan of his songs, but I certainly don't object to people having different opinions from me about those songs - even if those opinions indicate that they are simple-minded and tasteless people.

Apart from not making any grammatical sense, this reply appears to be a complete non-sequitur to the post you quoted.

I'll guess that you mean "you can't be a fan if you object to other people having different opinions to you". Which is clearly not the case. Of course you can.

Not sure what it's got to do anyway with pointing out that it's easy to round up 850,000 simpletons on social media. I'm sure they're all huge fans of Johnny's songs - that doesn't stop them being simple-minded.

I'm not a fan of his songs, but I certainly don't object to people having different opinions from me about those songs - even if those opinions indicate that they are simple-minded and tasteless people.

A lot of the people who like Johnny's songs also like Morissey's and vice versa

Last edited:

aka "fredos" ( 🧑‍🦲+🍻 )

A lot of the people who like Johnny's songs also like Morissey's and vice versa

So what? Liking a song doesn't mean that you think it's good on any objective level. You can like a song despite acknowledging that the lyrics are crap and the tune is nothing to write home about. Not sure why you'd still like it, but it's feasible. Equally there is nothing to stop people who think Johnny Marr's lyrics and, well let's say his singing and vocal melodies rather than his music (since his music actually still is good, sometimes), nothing to stop people who think his lyrics, singing and vocal melodies are very good from also liking Morrissey songs. But they'll still be simple-minded, tasteless cretins on account of thinking Johnny Marr's lyrics, singing and vocal melodies are good. You can damn a great artist with faint praise. How many times have I seen The Smiths described as "possibly the greatest indie band of the '80s" or "nearly as good as my favourite group, Green Day" and suchlike.

Correct. And to think this man constantly slags of Morrissey’s solo material.
On what planet does he do that?

.....I'm not a fan of his songs, but I certainly don't object to people having different opinions from me about those songs - even if those opinions indicate that they are simple-minded and tasteless people
"Simple-minded cretins" because they don't like the same pop music as you, really? You sound like a Moz parody, trying to be arrogant and 'controversial' etc, etc. He got away with it because he was funny & had a way with words, you just sound daft.

:)

simpletons because they claim to like the super suco LePew 'music'(n)
not because they claim to like another type of music: "DOOH where is the handle on this door?" Fredos.
they may not be simple minded, they are just as likely drunk🍻

Doesn't need a new thread:
Re: Fever Dreams 1-4 CD & LP.

"For a limited time, you can pick up a personally signed copy of the album!
Please put the message you'd like written on your album in the comments section at checkout."

Via:

Sold out PDQ.
Regards,
FWD.

Please put the message you'd like written on your album in the comments section at checkout."

Via:

Sold out PDQ.
Regards,
FWD.
Cro is going to go ballistic with this news
💂‍♀️

:clap:

FFS :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: will send JR to your poor dwelling housing and shake you upside down for the
coinage:handpointdown:

hand-shaking-money-broke-man-260nw-275203781.jpg

The ultimate docile benefit scrounger he ll spell out a novena just to sell 1 real album
instead of the imaginary ones:hammer:

Via:

Sold out PDQ.
Regards,
FWD.
Will write your own message?

Some dippy whore

Back
Top Bottom