Johnny Thunders/Jerry Nolan picture attributed to Morrissey - FB/SER (photography)

20180118_014339.jpg

A bit more than a 'strange/unexpected' reference, but not exactly news either.
Regards,
FWD.

It's asserted that's Joe Strummer in the left background via other picture sources and also Jesse Tobias commenting on the exact same post on Sam's (photography) Instagram.
The picture has been around on Pinterest et al for many years and is also cited to be taken in London.

Non-text version:

42034_nolan_thunders_nontext.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This must be fake news, didn't Moz spend his entire adolescence in his bedroom? :lbf:

This is ace bull ox m8! I reckon Steve spent 1976 travelling to the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, and Las Vegas with his aunt. Is that a fooking young Lemmy

Thunders had a swedish girlfriend in Stockholm in the 80's, Susanne, and I think they even had a kid together. I know he recorded in Eskilstuna of all places toward the end when he was in a bit of a state but I don't think much came from it.

Swedish wiki:

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Thunders

This is ace bull ox m8! I reckon Steve spent 1976 travelling to the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, and Las Vegas with his aunt. Is that a fooking young Lemmy

*Text message sent from aisle 48 at Walmart.

great photo ! too much talent.

Is there anything Morrissey can't do ?

the answer is... no.

:cool:

Thunders looks good , known as rock'n roll junkie...2 members looks as common guys, not as they were
on stage, had in mind they were of stage a bit more different, clothes, hair ...

Nice! Funny how things work out sometimes: didn't Moz get presented with Johnny Thunders guitar by the boss of the record label around the time of Quarry? Apologies if my memory is swiss cheese.

Is this it?

morrissey-redondo-beach-th-333685.jpg

And this may be how Moz looked at the time the photo was taken:
bombed-out-memoir-peter-alan-lloyd-1970s-1980s-punk-new-wave-bands-smiths-biography-tony-fletcher-morrissey-johnny-marr-manchester-punk-and-new-wave-scene-punk-and-new-wave-bands-influences-on-the-smiths..jpg

“Some bands grab you and they never let you go and no matter what they
do, they can never let you down… the Dolls were that for me.”
—Morrissey

p.s. This is the way I feel about Morrissey's music. Not all his interviews though!

Last edited:
well it makes sense. If The Clash and The Heartbreakers were on the bill then that would have been the Anarchy tour at the end of 76. Most dates were cancelled but it did stop in Manchester at the Electric Circus on 9th December. And it also makes sense that Moz would be taking photos of his NY Dolls heroes.

Last edited:
I always found it a bit odd that the Thunders teardrop guitar is signed by Syl Sylvain.

Record company exec: "Sorry, we didn't realize Johnny Thunders was dead. We hope you don't mind that his bandmate signed his guitar instead." :confused:

...and on the right...isn't that..Siouxsie, on a night off, fishing in her handbag for a spare swastika?

maybes aye, maybes naw...

...and on the right...isn't that..Siouxsie, on a night off, fishing in her handbag for a spare swastika?

maybes aye, maybes naw...

Naw, I think it's Nancy Spungen rummaging through her hand bag looking for plan B , which of course is Sid Vicious after she failed in hooking up with Jerry Nolan.

And this may be how Moz looked at the time the photo was taken:
bombed-out-memoir-peter-alan-lloyd-1970s-1980s-punk-new-wave-bands-smiths-biography-tony-fletcher-morrissey-johnny-marr-manchester-punk-and-new-wave-scene-punk-and-new-wave-bands-influences-on-the-smiths..jpg

Y'know how, when somebody gets arrested for sex offences, people say, "He doesn't look like a kiddy-fiddler"? When they say that it's because the bloke being bundled into the back of the van at the crack of dawn doesn't look like Steven, circa 1976.

My guy Bob D went ahead and said it. Then the fella Johnny T did his thing with it. Now ya got The Purified Turkey throwing it up for a listening pleasure.
Let's only hope this is just a slick little ditty and not something that's soon comin' to fruition.

Thunders looks good , known as rock'n roll junkie...2 members looks as common guys, not as they were
on stage, had in mind they were of stage a bit more different, clothes, hair ...

The Heartbreakers went on stage in these very clothes, check a few old pics for proof. the T shirt and Jeans Jerry Nolan is wearing in this photo appear on the cover of The Heartbreakers Live at the Speakeasy with Johnny wearing them.
Morrissey sent me this photo about 35 years ago, and while I am sure there may be other copies it does look like my one which has been circulating on Facebook for a few years, who knows? Mine has his hand written scrawl on the back saying:-
'Manchester Electric Circus
Nov - 76
Dynamic Duo'

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom