Morrissey’s best lyric

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
Ok, I’ve started a few thread on Morrissey recently & here is the latest.

What do you think the best lyric is he’s ever committed to song? A verse or a chorus, whatever.

I know it’s a painfully obvious choice, but I just love the ‘beware, I bear more grudges’ verse in TMYIMTCIG.

And that bit in tomorrow where he sings ‘oh, I know you don’t mean it’ after the previous ‘Tomorrow’ references.

Amongst many, many, many others of course.

Something like this was done not so long ago...best "couplets" or something like that...which did extend into non-couplets, i.e. lyrics, choruses, that kind of thing. Here you go: Couplets thread

Something like this was done not so long ago...best "couplets" or something like that...which did extend into non-couplets, i.e. lyrics, choruses, that kind of thing.
I imagine it was, again, apologies, I’m just posting what I think about & obviously haven’t been here long. Although sometimes it seems like an age....

What’s yours then?

I imagine it was, again, apologies, I’m just posting what I think about & obviously haven’t been here long. Although sometimes it seems like an age....

What’s yours then?
Well one of my favourites, which I alluded to in an earlier thread, is THTRTC.
I'll give you an excerpt, but the lyrics, wholly, are (to me) outstanding:

Ceiling shadows shimmy by
And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey
There's sadness in your beautiful eyes

Well one of my favourites, which I alluded to in an earlier thread, is THTRTC.
I'll give you an excerpt, but the lyrics, wholly, are (to me) outstanding:

Ceiling shadows shimmy by
And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey
There's sadness in your beautiful eyes
You know, it’s terrible really, I hardly ever listen to The Smiths these days. I listen to Morrissey loads but rarely The Smiths. That just reminded me of what a good song that is.

I need to get the back catalogue out I think...

You know, it’s terrible really, I hardly ever listen to The Smiths these days. I listen to Morrissey loads but rarely The Smiths. That just reminded me of what a good song that is.

I need to get the back catalogue out I think...
I listen to Morrissey a lot, but then I dip back into The Smiths, and marvel at how outstanding that first album was.

iv been shifting gears all along of my life=pigsty.according to wiki lyrics above.
i always thought it was,iv been shifting gears all of my life.

iv been shifting gears all along of my life=pigsty.according to wiki lyrics above.
The former appears the same on PJLM...I think your version is accurate but I'd need to listen to the track.

I listen to Morrissey a lot, but then I dip back into The Smiths, and marvel at how outstanding that first album was.
I've got The Smiths debut on now. I'd really forgotten some of the lyrics on there, how good they are. And just the tunes in general. I'm ashamed to say i haven't listened to it for a few years:relaxed:. Terrible i know.

But then again i'm enjoying it more now than maybe i did the 500th time i'd listened to it a while ago. Abscence makes the heart etc etc.

Such a beautiful song. So real. It carries such pain, but towards the end, offers a glimmer of hope....

burn down the disco, hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play
It’s says nothing to me about my life

I tried living in the real world instead of a shell, but before I began
I was bored before I even began

Everybody’s lost but they’re pretending they’re not .....so if i see you and I tell you how I’ve watched you, I’m just lost

Little lamb on a hill run fast if you can
Good Christians they wanna kill you and your life has not even begun, you’re just like me

won’t somebody stop me from thinking all the time about everything so deeply so bleakly

I’ve got loads more too :)

Last edited:
I remembered another one last night, listening to TQID. The whole ‘if you’re so funny, then why are you on your own tonight’ refrain from I Know It’s Over. Beautiful.

'If you don't like me, then don't look at me -
There must be somebody else who can take your gays aways.'

Just played it, & according to my ears, you're correct: "I've been shifting gears all of my life"

I remembered another one last night, listening to TQID. The whole ‘if you’re so funny, then why are you on your own tonight’ refrain from I Know It’s Over. Beautiful.
Yes that's one of my favorites.

Tonight is just like any other night
That's why you're all alone tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each others' arms

Back
Top Bottom