Morrissey A-Z: "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together"

Associated with Irish folk tradition, isn't it - that's how I think of it anyway. She meets him on the road to Athy* no less.
*which is where the Mahers are from, coincidentally

It is.

I love the tone and sincerity of his voice here and it is a wonderful song that has held up well. Some people have said that it seems a surprising theme (the idea of Johnny being suicidal or pushed around in the music industry after the split) - but I think it aligns well with Morrissey's general attitude to Marr's sessioning and his vision of other artists using/exploiting Johnny for his abilities in Autobio.
In addition, Johnny wasn't feeling well back in 1987 / 88. He was a heavy drinker these days and getting close to a burnout.

If we are to take Morrissey at his word, that this song was the only one written about Johnny, does this mean that 'I Don't Mind If You Forget Me' is about a completely different relationship? Someone else he broke up with?

Can a song be both a throwaway and a masterpiece? Yes. This sits perfectly on the record setting up "Late Night, Maudlin Street." One of his shortest songs followed by one of his longest. It's perfect.

If we are to take Morrissey at his word, that this song was the only one written about Johnny, does this mean that 'I Don't Mind If You Forget Me' is about a completely different relationship? Someone else he broke up with?

yep.

Not much to add... it's a beautiful song and the lyrics are quintessential Morrissey from this early post-Smiths era. A friend of mine once remarked that Viva Hate is the only Morrissey album you would listen to just for the music.

If you believe he was telling the truth, yeah. Which I don't, at all, but I can understand why he wanted to deflect speculation at that time.

The pressure to change, to move on
Was strange and very strong
So this is why I tell you... I really do understand, BYE BYE

Last edited:
I always thought that was one of his songs to his former fans.

Is there any reason to think this is connected in anyway with Angel Angel Down We Go, the 1969 film also called Cult Of The Damned, about a rich girl falling in with a wild rock band? Since Kill Uncle doesn't really have any references to the book/film Let's Kill Uncle it's not impossible he took the title from there and didn't make anything of the source.

Someone involved with Viva Hate said in an interview that the Moz song was "about Johnny Marr". It might well represent his feelings at the time, but it's odd to appropriate that title since it's actually the rock band dragging the girl down into trouble who sing the title song. There was a full soundtrack album, which has never been on CD:

Fun thing to do: a cover of the Morrissey song in the style of the Barry Mann song, and vice versa, released as a double-A side single.

Is there any reason to think this is connected in anyway with Angel Angel Down We Go, the 1969 film also called Cult Of The Damned, about a rich girl falling in with a wild rock band? Since Kill Uncle doesn't really have any references to the book/film Let's Kill Uncle it's not impossible he took the title from there and didn't make anything of the source.

Someone involved with Viva Hate said in an interview that the Moz song was "about Johnny Marr". It might well represent his feelings at the time, but it's odd to appropriate that title since it's actually the rock band dragging the girl down into trouble who sing the title song. There was a full soundtrack album, which has never been on CD:

Fun thing to do: a cover of the Morrissey song in the style of the Barry Mann song, and vice versa, released as a double-A side single.
Moz himself said this song is about Johnny Marr and its very well fitting considering how Morrissey saw and sees the record industry and that Marr's decision to leave the Smiths was a life and death situation in regard to his health. Morrissey always takes and took phrases from things he saw or read and uses it in his songs.

the title Suedehead also has nothing to do with the song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom