Morrissey A-Z: "Cosmic Dancer"

Flibberty

The success of this recording mirrors the success of the 1991 tours as it is all about Morrissey and the crowd. The musicians were very limited at this stage and the acoustic backing is barely adequate here.

Thankfully Morrissey had become a fine live singer at this point and his voice carries the track.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 199 from 264 solo songs.

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
Mesmerising vocals; the guitar is a mess.

J

Janice

The success of this recording mirrors the success of the 1991 tours as it is all about Morrissey and the crowd. The musicians were very limited at this stage and the acoustic backing is barely adequate here.

Thankfully Morrissey had become a fine live singer at this point and his voice carries the track.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 199 from 264 solo songs.
What is the Hoffman board poll?

Mayfly

Yeah Entertainment is a good one, how ‘bout Skin Storm? not bad too.

I feel that Morrissey covered Cosmic Dancer for personal reasons without
caring really what fans or anyone thinks about it or wants to hear (which usually is the case).

It is his gift to us, a little peak into his heart showing us what he loves and what/who he’s made up of, and why he’s on the stage at all.

‘I was dancing when I was twelve ..’

:)
Yeah, skin storm is a lovely cover too, the other great one of his early years.

Morrissey has always been eager to share his artistic influences with us, his live covers being one channel.
I am sure that he has his reasons for picking a particular song from one of his favorite artists at a particular time.
It would be nice to know more about the particular choices.

Wasn't T-Rex one of the first records he bought?

Verso

This is one of those songs that I adored when I was younger but doesn't possess much replay value for me now. I probably wore it the f*** out 20 years ago when I was playing it constantly.

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

The Courage to Get on People's Tits
Maybe? Or was it Marianne Faithfull’s Come stay with me? or did his mother buy that for him?

where is @GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn today? she knows all this. We are lost without her :(
You're right about Marianne. T Rex was his first concert though. He was 13. He recalled being dropped off by his father.

"I think he thought I’d be killed and he waved me off like it was the last time he’d ever see me alive. It must have been like losing your child to a deadly cult and maybe that’s exactly how it was … it was the turning of at least eight corners.’
‘It was incredible, because people literally were breaking their necks against the stage. Really extreme. And a memory to cherish.
"

Think it's not unreasonable to say that few artists had as profound an influence on him as Bolan.

(Jeepster was also the first record Johnny bought.)

Always thought it was fairly obvious why he chose this song in particular.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Top Bottom