Morrissey A-Z: "Driving Your Girlfriend Home"

Easily the best song off of KU, but not only that. In my opinion, it ranks among his best from the 90s. It’s so wistful, so bittersweet. And the storytelling is magnificent. You’re there in the car with them.

This is a strange one for me, I remember actively disliking it when Kill Uncle came out - and then only listened to it again a couple of years ago and realised just how good this song is. It's so low-key musically and so prosaic lyrically but there's something about Morrissey's first-person narrator in this song and his contrast with "your girlfriend" that elevates it to drama. And the vocal melody of these parts:

"So how did I end up
So deeply involved in
The very existence
I planned on avoiding?"

is just beautiful.

This and Mute Witness are the standouts from KU for me. In both cases, the live versions were spectacular. It's simply understated perfection. Mentally and emotionally it takes me back to 1991.

I'm parking
Outside her home
And we're shaking hands
Goodnight, so politely 💕

Last edited:
This is a really good one from a really good record. People interpret the lyrics very differently but that's not unusual. He probably is singing from the point of view of a man who is hiding his feelings for this girl. I used to see it differently though.

This is a really good one from a really good record. People interpret the lyrics very differently but that's not unusual. He probably is singing from the point of view of a man who is hiding his feelings for this girl. I used to see it differently though.
How did you used to interpret the lyrics?

How did you used to interpret the lyrics?
He is talking to the boyfriend of the woman he's driven home and I thought it was another one of his songs where he's secretly in love with some guy who is straight or appears to be. It could be the sequel to "William, It Was Really Nothing," except the wedding didn't happen or now he's divorced and Morrissey is still hanging around.

He is talking to the boyfriend of the woman he's driven home and I thought it was another one of his songs where he's secretly in love with some guy who is straight or appears to be. It could be the sequel to "William, It Was Really Nothing," except the wedding didn't happen or now he's divorced and Morrissey is still hanging around.
Most of this sounds plausible as well!

It is wistful & bittersweet.

I also love that she's telling him something important about her life - she's in the wrong relationship - & he doesn't know what to say, is just driving her home & leaves her there.

And he's telling the not-there boyfriend about it because he should be hearing it. And where is he anyway? And who is he to the narrator?

A lot there for a lift.

for me if you had a pen and paper and listened to this the pen would would just do a straight line,theres no highs and theres no lows,its just dull, probably because its M at his wrist slashing best.e,f,g, and h are all quite short but it will take over a month to get through the letter i.thats two duffers in a row for me,never thought i would say that because im very easily pleased.

Last edited:
Arguably the best song on Kill Uncle, but that is a relative judgement. On many other releases it would simply be a solid album track, but it shines amongst its soiled company.

I think my enjoyment of the track is increased due to the fact that I very rarely listen to it, as I very rarely listen to the album.

Mature lyrics and a solid vocal lift it well above average.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 88th from 264 solo songs.

for me if you had a pen and paper and listened to this the pen would would just do a straight line,theres no highs and theres no lows,its just dull, probably because its M at his wrist slashing best.e,f,g, and h are all quite short but i will take over a month to get through.thats two duffers in a row for me,never thought i would say that because im very easily pleased.

Its like "100 Floors of Fright" -- They’re not all going to be winners.

tomhanksdavidspumpkinssnl.png.CROP.promo-xlarge2 (1).png

I can't remember it but I think I hated it. Thanks for spoiling tomorrow's surprise though. lol
theyr all listed in the wiki above so its not exactly a secret.wheredo you think booky gets his list.

theyr all listed in the wiki above so its not exactly a secret.wheredo you think booky gets his list.

From painstaking research and collective consciousness, a la hive-mind. He's Moz-Solo's very own Mentat.

Easily the best song off of KU, but not only that. In my opinion, it ranks among his best from the 90s. It’s so wistful, so bittersweet. And the storytelling is magnificent. You’re there in the car with them.

Taking the words right out of my mouth here. I love everything about this song.

Linder's backing vocals are heavenly.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom