Morrissey A-Z: "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Morrissey/Nevin composition, the penultimate track on the Your Arsenal album from 1992.

(The song was covered by Bowie the following year, of course - "It's me singing Morrissey singing me" - and was the penultimate track on his Black Tie White Noise.)

What do we think?

Gorgeous, obviously. Morrissey at his most comforting.

Great song, moving lyrics. Should've been the closer to Your Arsenal. I don't much care for Tomorrow.

The briefest of lyrics yet they seem to convey so much. What is the "it" that's gonna happen someday? While love seems like an obvious answer, it could be any number of things. You as the listener are left to fill that in - so well done. 10/10.

Arsenal’s my favourite Morrissey album, so I enjoy every track. It goes without saying that this song in particular is great, even with the less than subtle nods to Bowie. Nice placement coming after the desolation of “Seasick...” and setting up for the more glammy and frivolous “Tomorrow” with its ending. Affirming lyrics too - just excellent all around.
9.5/10

It didn't really need another piece after this one and "Seasick" that paired glam and the golden 20s. As if Marlene Dietrich had recorded a piece by Leiber and Stoller, which Bowie supervised and Ronson produced. Wonderfully old-fashioned to hear the German radio voice with: "Youth must change" at the beginning. Maximum drama and the band's playing is to die for. Bowie's version? Thank you but NO!

Imagine the aged diva swaying to the beat alone in her old Paris flat behind heavy brocade curtains. Grammophone on!

His true evergreen.
Bowie appreciated Morrissey's great talent as a singer and lyricist

One of the greats. This song embodies Morrissey's transition from brilliant lyricist to outstanding singer/performer (sorry, M). Yes, it's a tribute but it's also a landmark in self-realisation after years of struggle. How fitting that Bowie is the obvious reference point here - the artist who taught us we could be whatever or whoever we want to be.

probably M at his most dramatic,intro a bit too long but i suppose its there to build the drama.
9happens/10somedays.

Perfect ode and nod to Bowie and Rock n’ Roll Suicide, which Ronson didn’t get paid for.
Always felt this should or could have been a single, so much potential here.
A great ballad, but needed perhaps a little more lyrically.

Wonderful. Great live, too.

A great song and a great production. Much credit must go to not only Mick Ronson, but also Mark Nevin who had to take over the recording of some of the track when the producer was in hospital.

I generally like it when Morrissey writes against type, and good to hear him so positive and optimistic here.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 30th from 264 solo songs.

It would have made a lot of sense to end YA with this one.

It would have made a lot of sense to end YA with this one.

On the one hand, I agree, because imagine the transition when you hear this song and then you turn on Vauxhall and the next song you hear is Now My Heart Is Full. That would be just perfect. It would come full circle.

But on the other hand, I always liked Tomorrow as an album closer and of course he couldn't have known at the time that "it" was going to happen soon and his next album would be inspired by love fulfilled.

'You say that the day JUST never arrives and it's never seemed SO far away'

This was the collective zeitgeist of my little gang back then and the words I've capitalised are what delivers the sense of despair and sets it out from an average set of lyrics.

Wonderful song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom