Morrissey accosted in Rome - police officer demands "papers" - Sam Esty Rayner Photography / FB

See Sam's lovely photography page: https://www.facebook.com/samphotog/

Last night at 7.45 on Via del Corso in Rome, the Police Officer pictured below terrorized Morrissey for 35 minutes demanding "papers". Morrissey had no papers.
The Officer then said "I know who you are." Morrissey replied: "I know the law, I know my rights, and you have no reason to stop me." The Officer shouted very loudly and a crowd of over 100 people gathered. The Officer held his gun throughout the confrontation. After 35 minutes, Morrissey walked away, and the Officer did not follow.
Morrissey says: "This was a deliberate act of terror by this Officer, who had no personal identification, but whose Polizia 113 motor-bike had the plate G2458. I had not broken the law or acted suspiciously. The officer unlocked his gun and held it as he screamed into my face. Some people came to my rescue. This happened outside the Nike store, and many people filmed the obviously insane officer. I believe he recognized me and wanted to frighten me. I did not back down even though I believed he was about to shoot me. I urge people to beware of this dangerously aggressive Officer. He might kill you."

40315_rome_police_officer.jpg

halt-mozzer-papers.jpg

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll probably receive a public flogging when caught in Europe without ID. Unless you're gay, in which case they'll throw you off a roof.

Where do you want to emigrate to?
well.... not rome. :paranoid:

it used to be austria, would you believe? for years i had this grand plan to live in austria. i didnt care where. some gray little backwards town. anywhere in austria. then after about 5 years of moaning non-stop about austria, i got over it. i would still like to live in austria but im not that particular anymore. anywhere in europe--although i'd probably prefer the west to the east--would be more inspiring than canada.

Apparently - today's paper says - Sam Esty Rayner and Morrissey were stopped by the police because SAM ESTY RAYNER WAS SPEEDING ON VIA DEL CORSO - busy with shoppers - ON A FIAT 500, IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!!!
Of corse the Police were shouting at him!
I think this brat is the worst thing that ever happened to Morrissey. Poor him, having to look after his demented nephew.

That does not look like an Italian cop, certainly not an angry one, he'd have smashed the camera!
where is his motorbike helmet and his hair is to nice looking to have worn one?
If he has a gun, where is his body vest?
Looks more like a traffic warden to me.... something fishy about this.

The white helmet is in the background, left side of the pic. If you look close, you can make out the word ...ZIA on it, which is POLIZIA (Police). No need for body vest, the gun is usually kept attached to a belt.

It's Italy, what do people expect. Typical tourist.

United fans in Italy meeting with the so called "police".

police-move-in-to-control-manchester-united-fans-during-the-uefa-picture-id73809463

3755_1.jpg

It is like no one ever watched Gomorrah or realised Italy is a country run by the mob.

If you ask for the documents, you must have the documents even if you are Morrisey.
The one in the picture is a cop and has not threatened anyone with the gun.
Nice advertising for Morrisey

The white helmet is in the background, left side of the pic. If you look close, you can make out the word ...ZIA on it, which is POLIZIA (Police). No need for body vest, the gun is usually kept attached to a belt.

I can't believe we are still answering trolls who don't believe this is a cop. This is a friggin cop. If you google "polizia italiana divisa estiva" first picture they're wearing exactly this shirt. Is this ugly? Yes it is, it's hideous. But it's a cop in a t-shirt. It's hot in here and they don't wear jackets in the summer, even on their motorbikes.
I see those f***ers every day.
Everyone, repeat after me:
This is an ugly ass italian cop

Now, can we move on?

I Think that this Police Operator will have a lot of troubles. You did the right thing taking the picture made during the Security Control. Well done to report the plate of his bike. I'm sure that today this man is under judgement. I'm also sure that Italian Police will apologize with you. Me too.

I can't believe we are still answering trolls who don't believe this is a cop. This is a friggin cop. If you google "polizia italiana divisa estiva" first picture they're wearing exactly this shirt. Is this ugly? Yes it is, it's hideous. But it's a cop in a t-shirt. It's hot in here and they don't wear jackets in the summer, even on their motorbikes.
I see those f***ers every day.
Everyone, repeat after me:

Now, can we move on?

That'll tell him. Well done.

Ok, so by that logic if a black person bothers you, then tossing out the ni**a word is o.k. Cause not all black people are ni**as , just the ones that offend your sense of justice.

Nah, I've never experienced that, you are right. Because I m not disrespectful towards Police. My father was a Policeman, my Uncle, and I was an special constable for six years. Police risks their lives every day, and using that word to describe them is completely disrespectful.

The fact of the matter is, when you visit a foreign country, you comply with their laws. In Italy, a Policeman has the right to request documents from anyone - diplomats, heads of state, anyone. IT IS THEIR LAW. Morrissey is a tourist, not everyone is a TSA agent (see a pattern here?). Everyone knows he is a complete diva. An act of terror?! Are you f***ing kidding me? He argued with a Policeman who was doing his job, for over thirty minutes. God even knows how good this officers English is. THERE IS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.

And why publish the Policemans name.. Retribution perhaps.

The fact that there's a law that supposedly let policemen ask "papers" to everybody doesn't mean they are allowed to harrass people for half an hour when there is not reason in doing so. They must have a reasonable cause to ask documentation, on the contrary people are living in a military state. Why didn't Roman Police explain why Morrissey was stopped and threatened in the first place? A civilized country can not let the welfare of a person, being him a citizen or a tourist, in the only hands and (lack of) wits of a single policeman. That's the equivalent of a conviction without trial. If a person is not comitting an actual crime he should not be molested by policemen, that is a basic human right protected by international treaties, no matter what unconstitutional reglamentations say about approaching people in the streets to ask identifications. That is what policemen should be trained for: detaining real criminals. NOT molesting artists they don't sympahize with abusing of the limited powers the state delegate on them to protect common people. NOT torturing them making a display of guns and depriving them of their freedom during 35 minutes.

I Think that this Police Operator will have a lot of troubles. You did the right thing taking the picture made during the Security Control. Well done to report the plate of his bike. I'm sure that today this man is under judgement. I'm also sure that Italian Police will apologize with you. Me too.
This if you report facts as well as they happen. Yes, because if you did not say everything or you sad only what you want to say (The witness said other things, too), so Italian Polizia and Police Man are right.

im i talian, im so sorry for Morissey, but about picture..any other common place? like mafia, pizza or mandolino, came on!!! Then italian police are shit, do you remembre Genova G8...?

Yeah, when some authority figure treats you like shit for no reason, I think you will then know how it feels. Until you've been there, (because obviously you have not) you know nothing.

And, glad to give you a 'reason to hate', isn't that one of the reasons you come here? No problem.

Also, I don't call, or think that all cops are 'pigs', just the ones who abuse their power and act like moronic thugs, treating people as if they are less than human.

BOYCOTT 'ENGLAND IS MINE' !!!

I'm glad to notice "Boycott Rome" has been removed from your boycott-list, KS.
Thanks for that! :thumb:

If you ask for the documents, you must have the documents even if you are Morrisey.
The one in the picture is a cop and has not threatened anyone with the gun.
Nice advertising for Morrisey

That's correct. But who is Morrisey?
It would be ironic if his ID said that and Moz never had it corrected.

Any tourist has to comply to the laws of the county he is visiting regardless if he is a celebrity or not. Any singer doing the same in England or the US would have faced worse consequences (i was in London in July 05 when they shot a brazilian dead in Kingscross in the tube cos he didnt stop for security chechpoint).

Stop moaning and complaining about total nonsense, if you (like man utd fans) think you can travel abroad and do whatever you please (things you would not even contemplate in your home country) please boycott Rome and go back to the shithole where you came from.

Cordiali Saluti :D

The officer was within his rights to ask for ID papers I'm afraid which have to be carried at all times outside your residence. (For a UK citizen this would be a passport which is a pain in the ass though most cops will accept a photo ID such as a driving licence). Same in most places in Europe. UK is an exception.

If you say "I do not have any" they can issue you with a small fine (€36 IIRR) or arrest you and take you in for "accertamenti" (to see who you are).

Did he pull a gun, really? I find that extraordinary, even in Rome. It is pointless winding up cops in Italy. Lower your expectations, do as they say, be pleasant and you'll be on your way pronto. Police in Italy need NO REASON to stop you, unlike UK. This got me into trouble 28 years ago when I moved here and I asked repeatedly "Perché mi ha fermato?" ("Why have you stopped me?"). Eventually he said, in English, "I don't need a reason to stop you. I just have to stop 20 cars this evening and check the documents using anti-terrorist legislation" and let me go. Those laws are still in force.

WTF? That's all we'd need: Moz gunned down while recording a new album. Flipping heck: this album promises to be as dark as a broken lightbulb with all the aggravation poor Moz is being put through. Nasty episode. I wonder if the cop was just deranged.
No, the policeman wasn't deranged. Morissey was speeding the wrong way down a one-way street and the policeman consequently stopped him and asked to see his driving licence and ID documents (which you have to carry in Italy by law at all times, even tourists) and which Morissey didn't have. Apparently he didn't even pull out his gun. With the recent terror attacks in vehicles in Europe is it any wonder the police were nervous about someone driving badly and at speed in the city centre in a highly pedestrianised area?

No, the policeman wasn't deranged. Morissey was speeding the wrong way down a one-way street and the policeman consequently stopped him and asked to see his driving licence and ID documents (which you have to carry in Italy by law at all times, even tourists) and which Morissey didn't have. Apparently he didn't even pull out his gun. With the recent terror attacks in vehicles in Europe is it any wonder the police were nervous about someone driving badly and at speed in the city centre in a highly pedestrianised area?

Morrissey didn't drive the car. Check your facts IP Hash: 10943a6b82 chap.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom