Morrissey and Marr meeting

My Balloon

This has probably been posted already but it appears Morrissey and Marr met in a pub 'up north' last Wednesday, and my contact says they embraced like long lost mates!

Very interesting.

and how the bloody hell do you know that?

When Marr is interviewed, he often mentions the last time he met Moz.
The idea that there's been a huge rift between Moz and Marr since 1987 is nonsense. They may not have seen each other for a few years in the early post-Smiths era, but they've been in moderately regular contact since then.
However, how much of this is due to the need to discuss the court case and other Smiths related matters, and how much is a genuine desire to catch up/remain friends is anyone's guess...

I've never got the impression they are on bad terms. I think people need to hold onto that idea because they can dismiss the lack of reunion as being down to them hating each other, and if they'd only get over themselves it would happen.

I think the lack of reunion is down to artistic reasons. They are both happy doing what they are doing and don't see any point in it.

and how the bloody hell do you know that?

'Cos I bloody do lol..

File under “That’s News To Me”, but apparently Johnny Marr and Morrissey are still friends, according to a recent Marr interview. “Johnny Marr and Morrissey often “hang out” together but never talk about the Smiths, the legendary guitarist has revealed. The pair are known to have fallen out when the iconic indie group split 20 years ago, and were not thought to have made up. However, in a new interview, Marr reveals he has a decent relationship with Morrissey, although there appear to be no plans for them to work together again. “I still hang out with Morrissey from time to time and we talk about many things, but that subject never comes up,” explains Marr, who is now a member of Modest Mouse. “There’d be no good reason to discuss it now. All our lives have moved on. In positive and interesting ways, I’d like to think.” That subject never comes up? Come on now, how about last years’ “The Smiths were offered $5 million to play last year’s Coachella festival” deal that Morrissey spoke of? While I’ve glad they’re not about the money, the pair were incredible together; would they be again? Perhaps, perhaps not, but if songwriting didn’t work out they could always hold court somewhere and rip out the classics, many haven’t been heard in proper form live for over 20 years.

'Cos I bloody do lol..

File under “That’s News To Me”, but apparently Johnny Marr and Morrissey are still friends, according to a recent Marr interview. “Johnny Marr and Morrissey often “hang out” together but never talk about the Smiths, the legendary guitarist has revealed. The pair are known to have fallen out when the iconic indie group split 20 years ago, and were not thought to have made up. However, in a new interview, Marr reveals he has a decent relationship with Morrissey, although there appear to be no plans for them to work together again. “I still hang out with Morrissey from time to time and we talk about many things, but that subject never comes up,” explains Marr, who is now a member of Modest Mouse. “There’d be no good reason to discuss it now. All our lives have moved on. In positive and interesting ways, I’d like to think.” That subject never comes up? Come on now, how about last years’ “The Smiths were offered $5 million to play last year’s Coachella festival” deal that Morrissey spoke of? While I’ve glad they’re not about the money, the pair were incredible together; would they be again? Perhaps, perhaps not, but if songwriting didn’t work out they could always hold court somewhere and rip out the classics, many haven’t been heard in proper form live for over 20 years.

ok, but last year, Marr was being interviewed and said that he wants to rerelease The Smiths records "properly" and that he had sent a letter to Morrissey, and at the time of the interview, it had been some time since he sent his letter and he hadn't heard back from him. Morrissey was on tour at the time, but it's not like he just called is my point.

That interview is here at this site, I think, either in text or a scanned magazine interview.

Remember the Observer interview?

I would be interested in hearing what Marr says about Moz's solo music, what he thinks about Boz's/Alain's styles, etc. Surely they must talk about music when they're with each other..
Something like, 'So, Mozza, hear you've got a new disc coming out in February. How does that sound? Want to throw a copy of that my way? I've been working on this melody I think you would be PERFECT for...' :D

I would be interested in hearing what Marr says about Moz's solo music, what he thinks about Boz's/Alain's styles, etc. Surely they must talk about music when they're with each other..
Something like, 'So, Mozza, hear you've got a new disc coming out in February. How does that sound? Want to throw a copy of that my way? I've been working on this melody I think you would be PERFECT for...' :D

Marr has always been pretty dismissive about Morrissey's solo songs with comments like "I know what they'll sound like before I hear them".
the only solo song he's ever openly praised is 'the last of the famous...'

Someone on here once said that The Last Of The Famous International Playboys is the only song Marr admitted to like.

I remember a comment johnny make in the simon goddard book " songs that saved your life" about Johnny`s meetings with moz in the post smith days,
something along the line
;" we met and drove around and didtalk about the old days.
but whats the point, you cant do that numerous times .cause there come a time when you run out of conversation material
. in the past we did came together to create music and as a result built an amazing and unique friendship around"
I will be looking for the orginal quote the next days but thats more or less what he said

There was an interview with Marr in the last couple of years where he commented on all the money the ex Smiths had been offered for a comeback tour and he said 'I'm not rich enough to turn that kind of money down'.

EDIT: found the article, it's here:- http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/04/161245

The only reason The Smiths have not got back together is Morrissey. Don't say it is Johnny's artistic decision as well.

Seeing as we know Morrissey and Marr do meet up to discuss the 'business' side of The Smiths; this meeting is somewhat expected due to the new compilation coming up.

A compilation which neither had anything to do with.

I suppose they might have met up to have a moan and groan about it.

A compilation which neither had anything to do with.

I suppose they might have met up to have a moan and groan about it.

Yes, true - but I would be very surprised if Warner's have not even attempted to contact both of them and ask for their input (Cover picture etc). Although, I would imagine they expected and got a sharp 'no' if they got an answer at all.

Perhaps it was a Marr prompted meeting about the much-discussed re-issue of The Smiths CDs.

Who knows, but I would love to eavesdrop on any recent conversation between them.

They've been bitchy at each other in the press though .. not too long ago Marr made comments about a certain someone with an "upside down fringe" and Morrissey has called Marr incredibly selfish for his decision to quit the smiths ... I honestly dont think they hate each other the way Moz hates Joyce, but its hard seeing them being best buddies. All they really seemed to have in common were the smiths and love for a couple of mutual bands, if they dont talk about the smiths then...

They've been bitchy at each other in the press though .. not too long ago Marr made comments about a certain someone with an "upside down fringe" and Morrissey has called Marr incredibly selfish for his decision to quit the smiths ... I honestly dont think they hate each other the way Moz hates Joyce, but its hard seeing them being best buddies. All they really seemed to have in common were the smiths and love for a couple of mutual bands, if they dont talk about the smiths then...
Yeah, didn't Johnny say in the NME not to trust a man with grey hair on the sides? (can't remember the word in english)

Back
Top Bottom