morrissey frink thread!

Moz & Mitchell hissing summer frink ~

Morrissey Joni ~ Robert Maxwell 1997.jpg

Photographed by Robert Paul Maxwell, Los Angeles, 1997.

Are they holding hands, secretly? Don't answer. Let me have that, at least...

is it only for Joni, that Moz would put up with cigarette smoking.

Almost certainly. He chided her about it in the interview, lovingly.

As opposed to the time another hack asked 'did Morrissey mind him smoking?' to which Morrissey replied "Do you mind driving me to the hospital when í get cancer?" {Contender for the 1-liner?}

is it only for Joni, that Moz would put up with cigarette smoking.

He did it for Johnny, who would chain smoke in the studio... something he wasn't ready to endure for Joe Strummer 😉

JohnnyFag.gif

Was that not cos old Uncle Joe was heavy into the old dirty 'Mary Jane' though?

I think so, hence the winky smiley. I believe Ket and I had discussed the "can't produce fire without smoke" allegory elsewhere before.
Not that JM was no friend of MJ's at the time as well...

Can you imagine the Moz contact high LP...? :squiffy:

Yes, it is called I Am Not A Dog On A Chain.

He did it for Johnny, who would chain smoke in the studio... something he wasn't ready to endure for Joe Strummer 😉

View attachment 70050

I’m sorry, but that’s Johnny’s ‘bad boy’ prop (it doesn’t even look lit) like everything in this video mock recording session. I think Johnny would have not smoked when Morrissey came in. I mean, I have friends that smoke, and they are courteous enough to make sure it isn’t blowing in my face at least. I think Morrissey would have put up with it, but Marr I think would have been sensitive to Morrissey’s feelings about it.

I’m sorry, but that’s Johnny’s ‘bad boy’ prop, like everything in this video mock recording session. I think Johnny would have not smoked when Morrissey came in. I mean, I have friends that smoke, and they were courteous enough to make sure it wasn’t blowing in my face at least. I think Morrissey would have put up with it, but Marr I think would have been sensitive to Morrissey’s feelings about it.

Yeah, the session was fake but it's no secret that Johnny used to be a chain smoker and there are pictures of him smoking backstage etc. I think it was inevitable that Morrissey would have been exposed to the occasional whiff and you know how smoke tends to linger.
I mean, frankly, it was completely unavoidable back when it was still acceptable (and legal) to light a fag indoors.

I'm also not sure he really was as sensitive to smoking as he would have people believe. I recall an interview with Billy Duffy where he said that when they were writing together, Morrissey was smoking menthol cigarettes (urgh). Maybe he became more sensitive over the years.

Anyway, speaking of 'bad boy props', this is a good excuse to post a small, frinky collection of ciggy pics (most of them safely unlit, of course).

MozCig1991.jpg

MozCig99_00.gif

MozCig00s.jpg

MozCigar2007.jpg

MozCig2012.jpg

MozCigar2016.jpg

If it’s not a duff tale, the menthols were also a prop. I was just saying in later years he seems less likely to have put up with it, depending on who’s doing the smoking, in regards to Joni. Also Morrissey didn’t seem to spend as much time as Johnny did in the studio.

Yeah, the session was fake but it's no secret that Johnny used to be a chain smoker and there are pictures of him smoking backstage etc. I think it was inevitable that Morrissey would have been exposed to the occasional whiff and you know how smoke tends to linger.
I mean, frankly, it was completely unavoidable back when it was still acceptable (and legal) to light a fag indoors.

I'm also not sure he really was as sensitive to smoking as he would have people believe. I recall an interview with Billy Duffy where he said that when they were writing together, Morrissey was smoking menthol cigarettes (urgh). Maybe he became more sensitive over the years.

Anyway, speaking of 'bad boy props', this is a good excuse to post a small, frinky collection of ciggy pics (most of them safely unlit, of course).

View attachment 70069

View attachment 70068

View attachment 70067

View attachment 70071

View attachment 70070

View attachment 70072

One final Tench Street beauty that í, shamefully, overlooked. From the Geoff Slee Archive jumble sale last year.

This was my heart's desire from that sale, but at the time í didn't have a tinker's thruppn'y bit to bid with, and the Lot of half a dozen proof shots from a universally shunned Moz LP, plus this Teller promo, sold for £400+...

Morrissey Tench St ~ Juergen Teller, May 1990 alternate.jpg

Unseen in any form, by me, until that auction. Perhaps never used {no EMI / HMV logo or credit on the print?} But quite wonderful, í think.

"Aw, how come, it's always just around the bend...?"

Morrissey Dublin 2003.jpg

Perhaps it's a perversion of science or geography or Guinness or something, but that snap of St Steven in Dublin c.2003 must be the most wholly holy Irish-looking Moz í have ever seen.

í mean, obviously he could never be mistaken on sight for, say, an Englishman, ever, but he really does look like a bona fide Dub in a pub. Truly Robbie Keano's cuz.

And just to whom does the artless hand on his shoulder belong...?

View attachment 70105

Perhaps it's a perversion of science or geography or Guinness or something, but that snap of St Steven in Dublin c.2003 must be the most wholly holy Irish-looking Moz í have ever seen.

í mean, obviously he could never be mistaken on sight for, say, an Englishman, ever, but he really does look like a bona fide Dub in a pub. Truly Robbie Keano's cuz.

And just to whom does the artless hand on his shoulder belong...?

Completely agree.

However, this snap is a strong contender for secondo posto (I'm already warming up for next weekend...)

MorrisseyDublinMarch2016.jpeg

Completely agree.

However, this snap is a strong contender for secondo posto (I'm already warming up for next weekend...)

View attachment 70109

Bejaysus, yes. Although, to be fair, he looks less Irish-Moz there, more just Irish ex-footballer running his own pub. Think Cousin Keano in a decade or so.

Bejaysus, yes. Although, to be fair, he looks less Irish-Moz there, more just Irish ex-footballer running his own pub. Think Cousin Keano in a decade or so.

I really want to visit Irish ex-footballer-not-Moz's pub now. I'd even take a Guinness, even though I know I'd regret it...

Golden Light & Shadow :love:

View attachment 70111

The shiny shirt reminded me of a quote that's not quite a one-liner, but still a favourite of mine...

"There's nothing wrong with the odd sequin now and then. No, I'm not going to enter a glam phase, do I look as if I am? I'm more likely to wear satin here than on stage. No, I'm happy just being dumpy dumpy dumpy me. Dumpy, fat, and middle aged."

he told James Brown in February 1989.

'Dumpy, fat, and middle aged' Morrissey, back on the stage, roughly two years later, entering 'a glam phase':

MorrisseyRedGlitter1991.jpg

One final Tench Street beauty that í, shamefully, overlooked. From the Geoff Slee Archive jumble sale last year.

This was my heart's desire from that sale, but at the time í didn't have a tinker's thruppn'y bit to bid with, and the Lot of half a dozen proof shots from a universally shunned Moz LP, plus this Teller promo, sold for £400+...

View attachment 70073

Unseen in any form, by me, until that auction. Perhaps never used {no EMI / HMV logo or credit on the print?} But quite wonderful, í think.

"Aw, how come, it's always just around the bend...?"

Thanks for posting. Hadn't seen this before. Love it!

The shiny shirt reminded me of a quote that's not quite a one-liner, but still a favourite of mine...

"There's nothing wrong with the odd sequin now and then. No, I'm not going to enter a glam phase, do I look as if I am? I'm more likely to wear satin here than on stage. No, I'm happy just being dumpy dumpy dumpy me. Dumpy, fat, and middle aged."

he told James Brown in February 1989.

'Dumpy, fat, and middle aged' Morrissey, back on the stage, roughly two years later, entering 'a glam phase':

View attachment 70126

I love his sparkly tops & war on fabric.

Back
Top Bottom