Morrissey mentioned on new order bbc6 show

cant be arsed signing in on a saturday morning.

It's pretty funny. 'Getting away with it' , was written from the perspective of Morrissey.
I've been walking in the rain, just to get wet on purpose. :)

From the perspective of Morrissey, eh? Makes one think...

However I look, it's clear to see
That I love you more than you love me
I love you more than you love me

Miserablism is also about Morrissey.

Yeah, supposedly a parody of his public persona along with "Miserablism". Probably felt like a knife in the back at the time, especially those lyrics - but it turned out to be the biggest Electronic hit, so sweet revenge for Moz.

I believe Marr wrote some of those
lyrics, so those above may be his contribution.

Marr still loves and needs Morrissey, wish it was the other way
around too, but Morrissey successful has moved on long ago.

No, he didn't. Neil wrote most of it, Bernard wrote the rest.

Marr wrote most of the lyrics on Getting away with it, Bernard only wrote a couple of lines for the verses

Or it’s about what people think ‘Morrissey’ is about.

miserable, walking in the rain, Pope of mope,etc :rolleyes::sleeping:

:cool:
Yeah. Here's what Neil said about it from the booklet of Alternative:

Neil: "I think we wrote this at the beginning of 1990, during the shoe-gazing period, when Morrissey was huge as a solo artist. It's another song sort of written from the point of view of being Morrissey - the first song like that being 'Getting away with it', the Electronic single, which I wrote most of the words of. 'Getting away with it' is looking at Morrissey's persona of being miserable and all the rest of it, and saying that he's been getting away with it for years. It's meant to be humorous. 'Miserablism' is a satire, a little like 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?' What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious. It's something that endlessly bugs me in pop music - that someone with the style of being serious is always accepted as being serious. And also that anyone being playful is then not taken seriously, whereas actually being playful is actually more difficult than being 'serious', and possibly can end up being a lot more serious at the same time. The words to this song were inspired by someone telling me that they asked their father on his deathbed what it was like, and he said: 'Is is, isn't isn't.' And I thought that was a great quote, and a very kind of miserablist way of looking at the world. There's no romance - the only thing that exists is what really exists."

Some people seem to think Electronic's Reality was also somehow inspired by Morrissey, not sure what started that rumour though.

Marr wrote most of the lyrics on Getting away with it, Bernard only wrote a couple of lines for the verses

So he may have indeed written those, makes sense. Marr was really hurt by the split. Though I guess he was happier making music with others especially the light dance stuff.

Where do you get that from? Genuine question, as Neil clearly stated he wrote most of the lyrics.

Yeah. Here's what Neil said about it from the booklet of Alternative:

Neil: "I think we wrote this at the beginning of 1990, during the shoe-gazing period, when Morrissey was huge as a solo artist. It's another song sort of written from the point of view of being Morrissey - the first song like that being 'Getting away with it', the Electronic single, which I wrote most of the words of. 'Getting away with it' is looking at Morrissey's persona of being miserable and all the rest of it, and saying that he's been getting away with it for years. It's meant to be humorous. 'Miserablism' is a satire, a little like 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?' What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious. It's something that endlessly bugs me in pop music - that someone with the style of being serious is always accepted as being serious. And also that anyone being playful is then not taken seriously, whereas actually being playful is actually more difficult than being 'serious', and possibly can end up being a lot more serious at the same time. The words to this song were inspired by someone telling me that they asked their father on his deathbed what it was like, and he said: 'Is is, isn't isn't.' And I thought that was a great quote, and a very kind of miserablist way of looking at the world. There's no romance - the only thing that exists is what really exists."

Some people seem to think Electronic's Reality was also somehow inspired by Morrissey, not sure what started that rumour though.

Yeah he wrote most, only most, I’m sure, and obvious to most that Marr wrote the ‘love you more’ lines.

Though I don’t really see why people think ‘getting away’ is really a dig at Morrissey, it is ( as stated above) a dig at the label, the box people put Morrissey into. Of course Morrissey had a hand in that, but all the while he knew/knows what he truly was/is, which is probably part of the reason why he doesn’t presently do interviews with strangers.

When talking about the music Johnny said he wrote the chorus part, Bernard the verses.
I always assumed the lyrics were co-written by Neil and Bernard, never heard that Johnny wrote part of them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom