Morrissey Wants An Honour

spazrock

Singer MORRISSEY accepts he has wrecked his chances of being honoured by QUEEN ELIZABETH II - but he insists he is more deserving of a title than many recipients.
The former SMITHS frontman distanced himself from the establishment with tracks like THE QUEEN IS DEAD, but now concedes he'd be proud to pick up a prize like those given to SIR TOM JONES, SIR MICK JAGGER and the newly knighted BONO.
The 47-year-old says, "It's songs like that (The Queen Is Dead) which mean my chances are slim.
"But just look at who has been honoured already. Mad Irish singer DANIEL O'DONNELL has an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) and obese JAMIE OLIVER has an OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)." (IG/WNTEX/ES) WENN - SECOND - HOLLYWOOD, SHOWBIZ & PEOPLE NEWS - 29 DECEMBER 2006

http://www.pr-inside.com/morrissey-wants-an-honour-r35384.htm

I can't think why Morrissey would want one, they aren't worth anything anymore, give it a few more years and the Cheeky Girls will be getting MBE's and dame titles. If this article is true than Morrissey has probably cost his chances through calling the Royal Family backward for their involvement and participation in cruel blood sports like fox hunting. He is someone worthy of recognition, but he has sealed that door shut.

It doesn't say, I have to say I'm very skeptical of this article. I can't think why Morrissey would want to share the "Sir" title with the likes of Geldoff and Jimmy Saville. :D

It's just taken from what he said at one of the gigs as a joke.

I'm surprised they haven't called it "Morrissey SLAMS the Queen and Blair for not giving him an honour". :p

As Noel Gallagher said, "Morrissey is the most sarcastic person in the history of Mancunianism!", which is quite some statement. I agree it's probably just some lazy journo with no sense of humour, taking an on-stage comment as being serious. He said at Birmingham NIA that The Queen was probably practising her "Arise Sir Mozzer" speech in case he won that "Icon doo-dah".

He must have said it in jest, as many true words are. So it might be his long winded way of getting back to being called Steven; he would be Sir Steven.
Yeah!

Nah, he'd have to be called Sir Steven if he got a gong. Can't see him going for that somehow.......!!

If you get a peerage you can choose what you want to be called. So maybe he should bypass the Sir and go straight to "Lord Morrissey". :D

Singer MORRISSEY accepts he has wrecked his chances of being honoured by QUEEN ELIZABETH II - but he insists he is more deserving of a title than many recipients.
The former SMITHS frontman distanced himself from the establishment with tracks like THE QUEEN IS DEAD, but now concedes he'd be proud to pick up a prize like those given to SIR TOM JONES, SIR MICK JAGGER and the newly knighted BONO.
The 47-year-old says, "It's songs like that (The Queen Is Dead) which mean my chances are slim.
"But just look at who has been honoured already. Mad Irish singer DANIEL O'DONNELL has an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) and obese JAMIE OLIVER has an OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)." (IG/WNTEX/ES) WENN - SECOND - HOLLYWOOD, SHOWBIZ & PEOPLE NEWS - 29 DECEMBER 2006

http://www.pr-inside.com/morrissey-wants-an-honour-r35384.htm

How misquoted is this? I was there and that's not what he said at all; that's not it at all.
He expressed relief that he wouldn't ever be asked to be honoured and then said that ghastly Daniel O Donnell had been given an MBE, which stands for 'Mad Member of the British Empire' and that "nasty Jamie Oliver" had been given an OBE, which stands for 'Obese Member of the British Empire'. Not that either person was actually mad or obese.
For God's sake why don't journalists listen? Or at least get their facts straight. It seems that they're just eager to make it look like Morrissey is suddenly desperate for an honour in order to tarnish his reputation as an anti-establishment figure; the truth is, he'd sooner die than kneel in front of a royal.

Back
Top Bottom