MusicTech: Stephen Street interview (July edition, 2020)

Image-25.jpg
Image-26.jpg
Image-27.jpg
Image-29.jpg
Image-30.jpg
Image-31.jpg
Image-33.jpg

The Smiths & Morrissey feature.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for that - really great to read a current piece mentioning Morrissey, without all the usual sly digs or looking for clickbait headline fodder re. disavowing him.

wonder if says on his passport stephen street, knob twiddler.

I’d like to know more about the whole Vini Reilly songwriting claims/issues around his contribution Viva Hate and Bona Drag (I heard he wasn’t even credited at all, even as a player, on the re-releases).

Last edited:
I’d imagine yours just says “knob.”
eh no mine says a pillar of the community and and someone whos down to earth and dont get me started on his charity work....signed....the queen.

I’d like to know more about the whole Vini Reilly songwriting claims/issues around his contribution Viva Hate and Bona Drag (I heard he wasn’t even credited at all as a player even on the re-releases).
yer obviously newish here,vinni reilly and his contribution to M can never be questioned,guy is so talented,was ill a few years back but hope hes on the mend now.

I’d like to know more about the whole Vini Reilly songwriting claims/issues around his contribution Viva Hate and Bona Drag (I heard he wasn’t even credited at all as a player even on the re-releases).

I don't think Vini has ever really explained why he tried to claim credit forViva Hate - he once called it "displaced anger" but tends to contradict himself in interviews. Vini was troubled & has had issues with addiction, illness, eating disorders, desperate money problems etc... I can see how he might look back at the success of VH and feel that he deserved a bigger slice of the pie, though it wasn't a fair thing to do to Stephen Street. I understand that he apologised to Stephen eventually and retracted his claims.

yer obviously newish here,vinni reilly and his contribution to M can never be questioned,guy is so talented,was ill a few years back but hope hes on the mend now.

DennisW raised a valid discussion point - as ever, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think Vini has ever really explained why he tried to claim credit forViva Hate - he once called it "displaced anger" but tends to contradict himself in interviews. Vini was troubled & has had issues with addiction, illness, eating disorders, desperate money problems etc... I can see how he might look back at the success of VH and feel that he deserved a bigger slice of the pie, though it wasn't a fair thing to do to Stephen Street. I understand that he apologised to Stephen eventually and retracted his claims.
Yeah, all I ever saw was a sort of rambling contradictory interview from Vinni but never much from Street or Moz (not that I’d expect him to say much, though one might have expected a little detail in the Autobio - my biggest complaint about the book was the lack of any real sense of the songwriting and recording process, either with the Smiths or solo).

?

JFC what a knobhead.:blushing:
I love your posts Vegan Cro. Spirit. You are a true and dedicated Morrissey fan.

Who is JFC? What does this stand for?

Do you know what Stephen Street did to Morrissey? Was Stephen Street bad to Morrissey? I don't trust people from Morrissey's past who have very little to do with him today it feels like they are chashing in or trying to get attention or maybe both.

Yeah your right re Vini's contribution but there's a few things for me that make him feel like the forgotten man or even some hanger on claiming something that he was never entitled to. We'll never know the full picture but he just kinda faded out of view and never played live or featured in any videos with Moz, was just a hired hand for a while I guess.

A good interview. Having said that, I found it amusing to see Bradford being described as a «fledgling guitar band», 31 years after releasing their debut single....

Yeah your right re Vini's contribution but there's a few things for me that make him feel like the forgotten man or even some hanger on claiming something that he was never entitled to. We'll never know the full picture but he just kinda faded out of view and never played live or featured in any videos with Moz, was just a hired hand for a while I guess.
he did a fifteen minutes with you with julie hammil,you should try and find it online,might answer some of your questions.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom