New Book - Paint a Vulgar Picture

Mine arrived yesterday, will start reading tonight - looks OK, but who knows? Also, I'll have the new Jo Brand book today, which I'm probably looking forward to a little more.

Peter

Mine arrived yesterday, will start reading tonight - looks OK, but who knows? Also, I'll have the new Jo Brand book today, which I'm probably looking forward to a little more.

Peter

hey Peter, I have never completely read one of these many Morrissey "bio books"(just skimmed through other people's copies :o)
but if I was to buy just one, which one would you suggest? :straightface:

hey Peter, I have never completely read one of these many Morrissey "bio books"(just skimmed through other people's copies :o)
but if I was to buy just one, which one would you suggest? :straightface:

I'll give it a good read tonight and see if it's better or worse than those that have gone before. There's not been too many like this, has there? I only recall the Joe Perniece book in a similar vein - have there been others?

Peter

Peter
Hi Peter. I just finished "My Booky Wook" a while back. What is this new Brand book about? Thanks!

Hi Peter. I just finished "My Booky Wook" a while back. What is this new Brand book about? Thanks!

This one. Mrs Skinny was off work today and made a start on it. I just flicked through. Countless Morrissey mentions, even in the very last paragraph...

Peter

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll give it a good read tonight and see if it's better or worse than those that have gone before. There's not been too many like this, has there? I only recall the Joe Perniece book in a similar vein - have there been others?

Peter

I misunderdstood what this book was about :straightface: it sounds like a cool concept :)

I thought Booky Wook was written by the un-talented Russell Brand not Jo Brand Like More You ignore Me Is.....?

Well, I got through 200 of 300 pages last night, and it's a bit bleak in places, but the Smiths references are flying in on every page. Mental Illness, teenage sex, death...plenty of fun. I think most people here will like it.

Peter

Well, I got through 200 of 300 pages last night, and it's a bit bleak in places, but the Smiths references are flying in on every page. Mental Illness, teenage sex, death...plenty of fun. I think most people here will like it.

Peter

Finished the Jo Brand book last night. The book ending takes in the aftermath of the Wolverhampton '88 gig. It's a very enjoyable read, but if I have one criticism, it's that it reads more like a screenplay for a TV drama more than a book.

Peter

Just bought a copy in Fopp. Cover looks suspiciously like ''Panic On The Streets'':thumb:
Looks good, but is now on the pile of ''to read books'' that is getting larger by the week:eek:

Jukebox Jury

JJ - how much did it cost at FOPP?

Anyone actually read it yet?

Dave

I've just finished it and it wasnt easy :squiffy::squiffy: None of the stories really held me and a couple I skipped through. The only reference (apart from one) in the book to the Smiths is really the paragraph at the top of each story saying why the author chose that particular title.

The best one is 'The Queen Is Dead' by Jeff Noon as he very cleverly gets in song titles or words throughout his story. I liked that a lot.

The worst is 'Stretch Out And Wait' by Chris Killen as its about two kids who go to see Morrissey's grave :mad: :(

Just fired this off to main page news......

Paint a Vulgar Picture

James Hopkin, Jeff Noon, Catherine O'Flynn, Helen Walsh, Peter Wild

SHORT WEEKEND

Paint a Vulgar Picture is a street-wise short story collection inspired by the music of one of Manchester’s most famous bands, The Smiths. This special launch event, hosted by editor Peter Wild, features readings from contributors James Hopkin (up and coming author of Winter under Water and Even the Crows Say Kraków), Jeff Noon (author of cult novels Vurt and Automated Alice), Catherine O’Flynn (author of What was Lost, which won the Costa First Novel Award 2007) and Helen Walsh (author of acclaimed novels Brass and Once Upon a Time in England). It takes place at the Salford Girls and Lad’s Club, scene of one of the Smith’s most famous photo-opportunities. Prepare to be charmed!

Saturday 24th October, 8pm

Salford Girls and Lads Club

Tickets £5 / £3

Book on 0870 428 0785 or

www.manchesterliteraturefestival.co.uk

Jukebox Jury

Sorry Dave, just read your reply.... it was £7 - 2 quid off RRP

Jukebox Jury

Thanks JJ
I'm in Manc later so I may pop in and take a look.

Interesting event at the lads club... I might drag myself down there.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom