Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds release details on new album 'Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!'

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=28639_0_2_0_C

Out on March 3rd via Mute is the newest Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!". "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!" is produced by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Nick Launay who worked with the band on their last album "Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus". Recorded over the summer at State of the Ark studios in Richmond and mixed by Nick Launay at British Grove in Chiswick the album features artwork by Brit artists Tim Noble and Sue Webster.

A first single, the title track "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!" is available above for your viewing pleasure. This is what Nick Cave has to say about the track: "Ever since I can remember hearing the Lazarus story back in church, I was always disturbed and worried by it. We are all in awe of the great miracle but I couldn't help but wonder about Lazarus himself and how he actually felt about it. I've taken him and stuck him in New York, circa 1977 - when you could still have sex without feeling as if you were committing suicide, when Studio 54 was up and running - and he's having difficulty coming to terms with it. Lazarus takes one look around and just wants to go back to where he was sleeping quite peacefully. It reminds me of the Gary Gilmore story - being released into society and not knowing how to deal with it and wanting to go back into prison - but I was especially thinking about Harry Houdini who spent a lot of his life trying to debunk the spiritualists who were cashing in on grieving people because he believed there was nothing going on beyond the grave. He was the second greatest escapologist and Lazarus was the greatest. And I wanted to create a kind of vehicle for Houdini to speak to us if he so desires from beyond the grave."

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who is instantly reminded of David Bowie's The Jean Genie when listening to this? It's similar in so many ways: The guitar riff, evocation of New York, the sleazy protagonist of the song title, and Caves spoken-word lyrics hark back directly to that earlier song. It would be interesting to find out if this was intentional.

Back
Top Bottom