Omega Auctions: "Day 1: Music Memorabilia / Day 2: Rare & Collectable Vinyl Records" (February 23-24, 2021)

3948-1.jpg

3947-1.jpg
3945-1.jpg

3944-1.jpg

3942-1.jpg

Some more interesting items surfacing for this 2 day auction.
This auction completely missed my notice - it's currently underway.
The 'Rough Trade Archive' video collection (broken up in to lots) looks like something absolutely worth having.
Quite a few bits featuring The Smiths too - posters, proofs etc.

3956-0.jpg
3952-0-min.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any video of the Dublin National Stadium gig ever appearred up to this point. Great memories of that gig and reports of a visual recording are quite exciting to know that there is still stuff out there that may at some point see the light of day....however slim those chances may be it would still be great to even get a review of whats been auctioned if it got into the hands of anyone who frequents this site.

Thank You.
But at least it's positive, right...? :highfive:

As soon as í, by completely random dumb luck, {never normally my regular acquaintance}, found out about these lots a couple of weeks ago, í knew that í had to try. Some of this haul could be completely astounding. Alternatively, given that Omega seemingly can't vouch for the quality of the contents of the tapes, í could have just shelled out a XXXX fortune on 30 year old static-damaged plastic tape.

The Holy Grail for me was the Palace Music Productions 3⁄4" Master Tape of what is labelled "Morrissey Live 1991 Director: Tim Broad" which might be the US West Coast tour doc that was due in July of 1991. Or it might not. But given that this is the first hint of it's existence since the press releases in the music rags at the time, other than conflicting rumours that the footage was destroyed, or was in nothing like a final state of assembly, or was still in James O'Brien's attic loft, í could not resist.

í am guessing all this stuff from the "Rough Trade Archive", as with alot of the lots last year from the "Geoff Travis Archive", comes from Jo Slee. Or "Joe" if you must. So the provenance would seem to offer hope.

Other possible gems are labelled Much Music Dub of a Master Tape of the Dublin concert on 27th of April 1991, presumably referring to the Much Music concert report that was broadcast in Canada, which featured interviews with local Canadian fans, fans at the Dublin concert and most teasingly various snippets of songs from throughout the show. Assumption is they recorded the whole event and the 'Moz Archive' nabbed a '60 minute' 3⁄4" Dub? There are also VHS copies with PMI labels {EMI's music division} in PAL and NTSC format included.
Also intriguing, to me at least, is a VHS E-60 tape labelled "Morrissey interview - John Maybury", Maybury being the director of the "Our Frank" promotional film. í have no clue what this could be...

Add in VHS tapes labelled New York July 1991, Finsbury Park, Tokyo 95, on top of your mystery 'Package' {from January '93?}. It may only be a small package, but surely worth investigating...

Apart from, obviously, being a fascist, this period of Moz is routinely dismissed as duff, and yet the prices sky rocket? And it doesn't even include any footage of the drummer lover genius Joyce, otherwise the prices would have been astronomical, surely...

So, yes, a poorer boy...but 'appy.

I know that Jo has recorded (on a handheld VHS recorder) shows from the wings, so could be some of those in there.

Sounds good, and yes, congrats!

Tracking down VHS bootlegs from STRANGERS, by POSTAL SERVICE in the nineties!!

And then when you try to play them... they all look like they were filmed in an illegal underground club in Berlin, because they’re ALL red, somehow! Oh, my teenage life! ❤️

A non crowd-filmed Finsbury would be good for posterity (assuming the label is correct).
Regards,
FWD.

Tracking down VHS bootlegs from STRANGERS, by POSTAL SERVICE in the nineties!!

And then when you try to play them... they all look like they were filmed in an illegal underground club in Berlin, because they’re ALL red, somehow! Oh, my teenage life! ❤️
My record fair copy of Clockwork Orange suffered from similar.
Seeing it 'properly' was quite a revelation.
Regards,
FWD.

I'll gladly sell my Live In Dallas VHS for €100. I even wrote out the tracklist and cellotaped it to the inside of the box, cos Moz couldn't be arsed to list the songs. A real rare gem on guaranteed blurry video. A must for a true fan and aficionado of fine quality releases by an artist who really cares for his loyal fans by always releasing top product.

A non crowd-filmed Finsbury would be good for posterity (assuming the label is correct).
Regards,
FWD.
True. It could be the new Zapruder film where we finally get to identify exactly who threw that 50p at Moz.
p.s. my good friend was at the concert but was too busy getting aled down the back to notice Moz leaving. Ah well.

I've always been curious about how well-maintained M's personal archive is. Between moving around between so many different labels and managers, I suspect that there's a lot that has slipped between the cracks. Here's hoping we see more lots like these popping up as the years go by.

Yeah, so far these videos seem the most promising in regards to having something that’s never been seen by fans before. I mean, what’s worth having in comparison to what’s already been auctioned.

Hopefully if not the whole video then at least a few interesting bits will be uploaded to YouTube for others to finally see, some Moz fans are very kind and generous souls in that way.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::blushing:

The high winning bids are from fans who know this is the final year of Moz’s life. The day of his death will not have even ended before all of this rubbish makes it’s way to ebay for triple the final Omega auction prices.

The high winning bids are from fans who know this is the final year of Moz’s life. The day of his death will not have even ended before all of this rubbish makes it’s way to ebay for triple the final Omega auction prices.
I have naked pictures of your unknown father, with street boys...
you wanna dance some more ...
Anti ..... fool boy ?

Not quite.
í wanted the other two tape lots as well, but í got the Top 3 on my little list.

Prices are mental. í watched the whole auction from 10am, and The Smiths/Morrissey stuff was easily the most frenzied bidding that í saw.

Still waiting for that Fascist Factor to kick in...

Congratulations on winning the tapes! (you bastard, I think I was the second highest bidder for all three lots;)). Here’s my two cents on the content, just guesses of course:

451, 12 Identifiable of 14 (? Maybe 13) in lot:

• Shoreline Ampitheater (Oct 31st)
  • Concert In Dallas (Full Live In Dallas show, 67:00)
  • Seasick, Yet Still Docked
  • Morrissey Package (11/1/93) on 15 min tape
  • Morrissey Tour Demo (17/8/92) on 15 min tape
  • Morrissey Interview John Maybury (New Video Hour from 1986?)
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • You´re The One For Me, Fatty (2nd edit, final version)
  • Request Video (Interview w band, some sound-check vids June 91)
  • Raw Footage (fan press conference)
  • Our Frank version 2
  • Live In Dallas (stock)
  • Two (possibly one) unidentified

452, 3 Identifiable of 4 in lot:

• The Tonight Show
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • Morrissey Live 1991 (???) one of 91 shows shot by Tim or doc?
  • Live In Dallas (stock)

455, 8 Identifiable of 9 in lot:

• Morrissey Package
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • Morrissey In Concert (London/Hammersmith 91)
  • New York July 91 (MSG) / LA November 91 (Westwood was prof. shot) / LA July 30 92 (can’t be right, no US show at this date)
  • Shoreline Ampitheater (Oct 31st)
  • Finsbury Park?(was prof. shot)
  • Tokyo December 1995 (prof. shot by James O’Brien)
  • Tomorrow
  • One unidentified (Madrid, McNab? Wrong case?)

There's a couple of records/cassettes in with generic lots, but nothing of any particular interest in the lots scheduled for part 2 of the auction today.

Kudos to @joe frady who, I'm sure, is cleaning his tape heads as I type :)
Fingers crossed there's some gems in there for you.
Regards,
FWD.

I've always been curious about how well-maintained M's personal archive is. Between moving around between so many different labels and managers, I suspect that there's a lot that has slipped between the cracks. Here's hoping we see more lots like these popping up as the years go by.

Has ever been documented anywhere where he has stated he maintains anything approaching what an obsessed music fan would? I mean he, is admittedly so, but I also have never pictured Moz being a pack-rat or low-end hoarder.

Has ever been documented anywhere where he has stated he maintains anything approaching what an obsessed music fan would? I mean he, is admittedly so, but I also have never pictured Moz being a pack-rat or low-end hoarder.
I remember him joking in a more recent interview that he has "at least two thousand" recordings of shows under his bed because every concert he does is filmed, which obviously isn't true.

I think he said he threw everything out after The Smiths ended (only keeping a letter he received from Alain Delon).
Jo Slee probably took care of most of the stuff when she was still around.

He doesn't seem to have a permanent residence these days, so I suppose whatever he's kept is locked away in storage. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom