Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

Yes, I had a spare laptop - the one the kids use for their school/college work. And today it died also. I cannot believe it :( I blame Mercury retrograde (in the absence of proper technical knowledge). I've managed to coax my old one back to life, so I'm just hanging on with fingers crossed till my new laptop arrives Mon/Tues.

Well, all the main plot points are fixed and each chapter has a rough plan. I think you need an outline of where you're going so you know you have a structure that works. But nothing is set in stone - if I have a better idea for a scene as I go along, I'll change it up. And the first run through is always a draft - you cannot spot all the problems and iron out all the wrinkles in one go, you need the perspective you can only have from getting to the end. In my limited experience.

Oh yes, that pesky sleep train is a bugger if you miss it! Which is why, if I have an idea after I've turned the light out, I grope around in the dark and scrawl 'blind' across the notepad. Which makes deciphering my own writing the next morning an entertaining task :lbf:
oh that is some bad computer luck, pep! :( but thank god you have another one coming. haha mercury in retrograde :lbf:

oh so all this that you're doing is still just the draft? well that's reassuring. i dont think i could ever be so confident in what ive written to say that the first go is the final product, no matter how well ive planned it out.

oh that is some bad computer luck, pep! :( but thank god you have another one coming. haha mercury in retrograde :lbf:

oh so all this that you're doing is still just the draft? well that's reassuring. i dont think i could ever be so confident in what ive written to say that the first go is the final product, no matter how well ive planned it out.
I've got it running again (the backup one). There is some seriously weird shit going on with my technology! My internet connection keeps dropping as well. :( Waaaah! The stars are conspiring against me!
Everybody's first complete draft is a draft - but some people's draft is more drafty than others. Everybody works in different ways. I find I can't move forward if it's too unpolished as it doesn't give me the confidence that it's good enough to bother keeping going. But some people prefer to charge through and fix everything later. Everyone does at least a second draft, but some do third, fourth and beyond. It's just whatever works for you.

I've got it running again (the backup one). There is some seriously weird shit going on with my technology! My internet connection keeps dropping as well. :( Waaaah! The stars are conspiring against me!
Everybody's first complete draft is a draft - but some people's draft is more drafty than others. Everybody works in different ways. I find I can't move forward if it's too unpolished as it doesn't give me the confidence that it's good enough to bother keeping going. But some people prefer to charge through and fix everything later. Everyone does at least a second draft, but some do third, fourth and beyond. It's just whatever works for you.
I think it's called 'refinement'.

'I find I can't move forward if it's too unpolished as it doesn't give me the confidence that it's good enough to bother keeping going.' oh that's a good point, pep!

oh god, it's SO Frustrating when the internet stops working. i become so dispirited and just think "well thats it! no more internet! silly of me to think a thing like the internet could exist in the first place! so now it doesnt! only makes sense!". and then it comes back on, somehow, i know not how, and it's like some sort of a miracle. but when it goes down it DEFINITELY feels like the universe is conspiring against you. hope you get your technology problems sorted, pep!

It's called lots of things, but it's mostly about trying to make it marketable :)
Yeah but I would imagine, that in order to get to 'marketable' , in addition to peer review(s), you have to go through a kind of Plan Do Check Act (Deming) cycle of continuous improvement (refinement) until you're satisfied that the end product a) is what you wanted it to be, b) makes actual sense, c) is actually readable, d) is something which someone would wish to read (& hopefully buy), then e) is something which is marketable.

My wife tested positive for the covid today. We’ll see how the week goes as we have about six days left for her quarantine and ten more for me and Julian. What to do

Yeah but I would imagine, that in order to get to 'marketable' , in addition to peer review(s), you have to go through a kind of Plan Do Check Act (Deming) cycle of continuous improvement (refinement) until you're satisfied that the end product a) is what you wanted it to be, b) makes actual sense, c) is actually readable, d) is something which someone would wish to read (& hopefully buy), then e) is something which is marketable.
Haha, well aiming for something readable, that someone would wish to read, is sort of what I'm aiming for, Mozmar :lbf: Time will tell whether I can manage it or not.

'I find I can't move forward if it's too unpolished as it doesn't give me the confidence that it's good enough to bother keeping going.' oh that's a good point, pep!

oh god, it's SO Frustrating when the internet stops working. i become so dispirited and just think "well thats it! no more internet! silly of me to think a thing like the internet could exist in the first place! so now it doesnt! only makes sense!". and then it comes back on, somehow, i know not how, and it's like some sort of a miracle. but when it goes down it DEFINITELY feels like the universe is conspiring against you. hope you get your technology problems sorted, pep!
Aw, thanks! I know, it IS miraculous, but I really don't want to know the details, I just want it to f***ing work. None of this attention-seeking, 'look at me, I need re-booting' nonsense, just do the job you're supposed to and get back in the background. Tsch! Technology!

Aw, thanks! I know, it IS miraculous, but I really don't want to know the details, I just want it to f***ing work. None of this attention-seeking, 'look at me, I need re-booting' nonsense, just do the job you're supposed to and get back in the background. Tsch! Technology!
I know but sometimes it takes knowing how a thing works in order to believe in it, and sometimes believing in a thing makes all the difference to whether it works or not. knowledge is power.

I know but sometimes it takes knowing how a thing works in order to believe in it, and sometimes believing in a thing makes all the difference to whether it works or not. knowledge is power.
Indeed. Well, I certainly believe in it, when its cheery little blue 'connected' light is telling me all is well. It's just the 'knowledge' part I struggle with. :lbf:

Oh wow. A girl I went to school with - Helen Bailey - was murdered by her fiance and dumped in the cesspit of their home in 2016. Now they've charged him with the murder of his wife six years earlier. What an evil bastard. Poor families, both of them.

that's so disturbing!
It's horrible. Poor Helen, she was such a gentle soul. She's in all my school photographs from age 5, it's such a weird feeling. But the most disturbing thing is he preyed on her. She was very wealthy. She was a successful children's author and was newly bereaved and really struggling emotionally - her husband had just died in a freak accident. She met her killer in an online bereavement group. Within a couple of years she had changed her will to sign everything over to him. The whole thing was a very dramatic story, he nearly got away with it because they couldn't find the body. It was in all the papers here for months.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom