Produce Like A Pro YT: "Masters of Production: The Smiths and Blur Producer Stephen Street" (March 8, 2021)

Screenshot_20210309-094030~2.png

"Best known for his work with The Smiths, The Cranberries, and Blur, today we are talking with English music producer, Stephen Street!

Street began his musical career in the late 1970s playing in various bands in London. He then started at Island Records as an in-house assistant and then as an in-house engineer.

The Smiths and Morrissey

One of Street’s first jobs as in-house engineer was for a session for The Smiths’s “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”. He then worked on their album Meat Is Murder, with Morrissey and Marr producing for the first time.

Street continued to work with The Smiths, working as an engineer on their album The Queen Is Dead before assuming a producer role for Strangeways, Here We Come, their final album.

After The Smiths broke up, Street worked with Morrissey as a producer and co-songwriter on his album Viva Hate. This album reached No. 1, spawning two top 10 hits in the UK. Street went on to co-write and produce two further singles for Morrissey which appeared on Bona Drag.

Blur

After hearing “She’s So High”, Blur’s first single, Street contacted their manager. Soon after he produced their second single “There’s No Other Way”, although he did not produce the album as a whole. Street produced Blur’s next four albums: Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, The Great Escape and Blur.

Street produced Blur’s 2015 album The Magic Whip, their first since the band’s reformation with Coxon.

The Cranberries

In 1992, Street started working with Irish band The Cranberries on their debut album Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?. The album turned out to be a huge success in the U.S. In 1994, Street worked with the band again on their second album No Need to Argue.

Street worked with the band on their fifth album Wake Up and Smell the Coffee and the two extra tracks that were recorded for their 2002 best of album Stars: “Stars” and “New New York”.

Street also produced their sixth studio album Roses, released in 2012. He also produced their final album In the End, released in 2019.

In February 2020, it was announced Street will receive the Outstanding Achievement Award at the upcoming Music Producer’s Guild Awards."

The interview in full:

Regards,
FWD.

You mean he asked to be paid? Moz could easily have invited Street onto Top Of The Pops for Playboys, which was Street's unfulfilled dream. Talk about petty.

I don’t have every book about Moz & The Smiths, and I’ve not read every Morrissey or Street interview.
Just curious, to where you heard or read that Street was upset about it, or that there even was no invitation offered?

I don’t have every book about Moz & The Smiths, and I’ve not read every Morrissey or Street interview.
Just curious, to where you heard or read that Street was upset about it, or that there even was no invitation offered?
Sorry I can't remember. Might have been in Len Brown's Meetings With Morrissey (Len actually replied to my review on Amazon, such a nice guy) or maybe just a Street interview on a website.

🤒
Thats the first thing you do when a twat is suing you for no reason, take them to the TV show and then buy him a caviar dinner:crazy:

Sorry I can't remember. Might have been in Len Brown's Meetings With Morrissey (Len actually replied to my review on Amazon, such a nice guy) or maybe just a Street interview on a website.

Well, it would be interesting if there was any truth (maybe there is)behind the claim or observation that indeed their was
an offer of an invite or that it was discussed between Morrissey and
Street and Street felt that Morrissey had the opportunity to invite Street but didn’t for some personal reason or business decision. And unfortunately we could only wonder what Morrissey’s take on this would be, if he did go out of his way to not invite Street, and why he did so? what were his reasons? Did Morrissey even know that Street wanted to do it?

But more importantly, why did Morrissey go out of his way to make sure Street was in the promo video but then not
on the TOTP ? Did something happen between them between the promo video shoot and TOTP?

Last edited:
I doubt it was deliberate - he'll get another job, but poisoning his relationship with ITV & getting a huge amount of industry flack isn't a great idea.

Ian Murray, head of the society of Editors had to resign & from what I've heard news rooms are currently war zones.

All from an Oprah interview! :ahhh:

Piers Morgan has dissed Morrissey before. I don't think Piers Morgan is a fan of Morrissey is he?

Piers Morgan has dissed Morrissey before. I don't think Piers Morgan is a fan of Morrissey is he?

No, Piers hates him.

20210311_012933.jpg

He's referring to this:

20210311_012920.jpg

Lol at Emma Kennedy up Piers's backside for Will, Kate & what's left of the Empire.

Honestly these celebrities 🙄 will say whatever makes them popular, while Moz takes the flack for whatever convoluted point he wants to make.

20210311_013331.jpg

20210311_013318.jpg

No, Piers hates him.

View attachment 69525

He's referring to this:

View attachment 69526

Lol at Emma Kennedy up Piers's backside for Will, Kate & what's left of the Empire.

Honestly these celebrities 🙄 will say whatever makes them popular, while Moz takes the flack for whatever convoluted point he wants to make.

View attachment 69527
View attachment 69528
Why did Emma Kennedy change from supporting Piers Morgan to not? To be honest I don't know who Emma Kennedy is.

I don't understand why Piers Morgan has so much hatred for Morrissey. Piers Morgan obviously supports the Royal family but he doesn't like Meghan.

Why did Emma Kennedy change from supporting Piers Morgan to not? To be honest I don't know who Emma Kennedy is.

I don't understand why Piers Morgan has so much hatred for Morrissey. Piers Morgan obviously supports the Royal family but he doesn't like Meghan.

Because it's the popular opinion to have with the people she follows on Twitter.

She's a comedy writer.

Piers hates him because most of Morrissey's opinions are unpopular. And M doesn't hang around the celebrity circuit.

Well, it would be interesting if there was any truth (maybe there is)behind the claim or observation that indeed their was
an offer of an invite or that it was discussed between Morrissey and
Street and Street felt that Morrissey had the opportunity to invite Street but didn’t for some personal reason or business decision. And unfortunately we could only wonder what Morrissey’s take on this would be, if he did go out of his way to not invite Street, and why he did so? what were his reasons? Did Morrissey even know that Street wanted to do it?

But more importantly, why did Morrissey go out of his way to make sure Street was in the promo video but then not
on the TOTP ? Did something happen between them between the promo video shoot and TOTP?
I can't be bothered Googling but in several interviews I read Street expressing his disappointment in not being asked to do Wolverhampton, not TOTP.

Because it's the popular opinion to have with the people she follows on Twitter.

She's a comedy writer.

Piers hates him because most of Morrissey's opinions are unpopular. And M doesn't hang around the celebrity circuit.
Do you think it could also be to do with the British Royal family?

Piers Morgan comes from a privileged background. In some ways he seems quite traditional. He used to work for the tabloids. I don't like him mainly because of his hatred for Morrissey.

Do you think it could also be to do with the British Royal family?

Piers Morgan comes from a privileged background. In some ways he seems quite traditional. He used to work for the tabloids. I don't like him mainly because of his hatred for Morrissey.

Probably.

I can't be bothered Googling but in several interviews I read Street expressing his disappointment in not being asked to do Wolverhampton, not TOTP.

Ah thank you, that I think I do remember. See how easy things get mixed up, which is why I was hoping Acton could provide a link to his comment.

But Street does know it was kind of Morrissey’s idea of a Smiths farewell show? Though maybe Street considers himself a 5th or 6th Smiths member.

Ah thank you, that I think I do remember. See how easy things get mixed up, which is why I was hoping Acton could provide a link to his comment.

But Street does know it was kind of Morrissey’s idea of a Smiths farewell show? Though maybe Street considers himself a 5th or 6th Smiths member.
I don't know, we never get to know. But I don't think so. Street always came across as a fair, nice and straight guy. I simply think he felt at the time he should have a place at a live gig, given that he was Morrissey's multifunctional "everything" at the time: songwriter, producer, arranger. But we never know the full extent of their relationship, the words and postcards exchanged.

the toothless knob has dissed Moz many times.:blushing: toothless, goes out in public with the huge gap in his mouth where he is toothless, and dramatically states that Moz is not fit to comment about politics.:crazy:
He also has a small tuft of hair like the other troll but in back making him look like a raccoon. Here is the arbiter of politics for your perusal:handpointdown:

images
Do you have any photos of Mark Kermode? He was another one dissing Morrissey and his fans. In the past he was supposedly a 'fan' of Morrissey.

This is a bit childish but the Blur singer Damon's hair in the photo you show on here reminds me a bit of Sonic the Hedgehog. I understand why you think the hair looks like a raccoon.

🤒
this one looks like a right 🪱 as if he would steal the flatware from your house.:blushing: has beady 👁️s and a sneaky look.
:handpointdown:

images

That rings a bell, but my hazy memory also tells me he wanted to be on TOTP just once and wasn't asked.

Hi. I found it eventually, kind of. Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown. Chapter 7 Nineteen Eighty Hate, page 145 paperback edition.

About Viva Hate, Street says:
When we were doing the album I said to Morrissey "It'd be nice to be seen doing something with you because I'm sure some people think I'm some kind of....middle aged producer in the background." I was hoping he'd take a band on Top Of The Pops but there isn't really a full time band, that's the problem. But I was disappointed. It was a childhood dream to be on Top Of The Pops.

Len Brown interviewed Street in summer 1988. The interview is included in his Meetings With Morrissey, which is a great read and maybe the only book about himself that Morrissey approves of, sort of...

I'm assuming that Street was referring to the Everyday Is Like Sunday TOTP appearance.

Doesn’t it piss you off that you’re still in the shadows? That most people think you must be some spotty, grim-looking Glitter Band figure or you would be out there in the spotlight as Johnny Marr was?

“When we were doing the album I said to Morrissey, ‘It’d be nice to be seen doing something with you because I’m sure people think I’m some kind of Trevor Horn, Stock Aitken & Waterman middle-aged producer in the background’. Afterwards I thought, ‘Oh no, you’ve pushed it a bit, Stephen’ but I want it to be known I’m not just some old button pusher!”

You could end up playing Bernie Taupin to Morrissey’s Elton John -The Man In The Iron Mask.

“It’s not my desire to be like that. It’s up to him. I was hoping he’d take a band on Top Of The Pops but there isn’t really a full-time band, that’s the problem. But I was disappointed. It was a childhood dream to be on TOTP.”

Do you think you’ll ever perform live with him?

“He’s got such fond memories of The Smiths, he’s got it into his mind that he can never match that again. I don’t agree. I think, as long as we’re careful, people’ll love him whatever he’s doing. Maybe it’ll happen after the second album, when we’ve got more songs. But I think he’s worried about not capturing the same spirit of The Smiths live. Going out with me live would be the full stop at the end of The Smiths’ sentence.”

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom