R.E.M.- Furry Happy Monsters...

R.E.M. shall always be Gods in the music industry...I even liked Around The Sun but I must be the only one by the sound of it!

Love PTxx.

How the hell did they manage to pull off the trick of performing with The Muppets and keeping their artistic credibility? Oh, wait, they didn't...

I love R.E.M, but this is where it started to go downhill for them. Even they know it - Shiny Happy People hasn't been played live for years, plus they've admitted they hate it, which is unsurprising seeing how it pretty much symbolises everything that's gone wrong with their career. I think it had the potential to be a really great pop song, and in a perverse, infantile way that's what it is, but honestly, the lyrics are just cringe-inducing.

PT, I agree about Around The Sun, I thought it was pretty good. It seemed like more of an evolution of Up, rather than Reveal though. The production, however, was shite.

Coiff.

R.E.M. shall always be Gods in the music industry...I even liked Around The Sun but I must be the only one by the sound of it!

Love PTxx.

I think so since I hated ATS, it's just crap. Heard Fall On Me in 86 on the radio and that was all it took. Loved them after that. Still pissed about missing the Green tour.

How the hell did they manage to pull off the trick of performing with The Muppets and keeping their artistic credibility? Oh, wait, they didn't...

I love R.E.M, but this is where it started to go downhill for them. Even they know it - Shiny Happy People hasn't been played live for years, plus they've admitted they hate it, which is unsurprising seeing how it pretty much symbolises everything that's gone wrong with their career. I think it had the potential to be a really great pop song, and in a perverse, infantile way that's what it is, but honestly, the lyrics are just cringe-inducing.

PT, I agree about Around The Sun, I thought it was pretty good. It seemed like more of an evolution of Up, rather than Reveal though. The production, however, was shite.

Coiff.

Ah come on Coiff, Shiny Happy People is great :p

Up has a few real good tracks and so does Reveal. Their best album for me would have to be Document!

Love PTxx.

Ah come on Coiff, Shiny Happy People is great :p

Up has a few real good tracks and so does Reveal. Their best album for me would have to be Document!

Love PTxx.

Like I said, Shiny Happy People isn't a bad song, it's just really embarassing to listen to. And therefore must also be embarassing to perform!

Murmur is my favourite R.E.M. record and, in fact, one of my favourite records of all time. I think it's as good as anything The Smiths or Morrissey have come up with. There's just such an atmosphere, an aura, around that album that still amazes me. Reckoning was also excellent, as was most of their IRS stuff. From the Warner period, New Adventures In Hi-Fi is great, but nothing's ever really lived up to those early years. It's this that makes me think it was a good idea The Smiths broke up when they did. I'm hopeful for Accelerate though, the early signs are good.

Coiff.

Two words = Kate Pierson :)

I've heard they hated Shiny Happy People and refuse to play it live. Which is okay with me. It's a little too much. But perfect for the Muppet Show. How can you not be happy watching this?! :D

Love PTxx.

Not really since I thought that Around the Sun was one of the better albums. Leaving NY is one of my favorite songs.

really great funny and cute story

I was just starting high school when Document came out, The One I Love was being hammered on the radio at the time and used to come on every morning. We had a dress code and had to wear ties. So the part that goes 'It's occupied my time" I used to honestly think was "Cause I can't tie my tie." Ah sweet f***ing memories.

I miss this furry happy monster...

p16023x4ikb.jpg

billberry.jpg

...*sigh* he was my favorite member too... :tears:

All of them...they all went cheap in the shops before they released the remastered blah, blah, blah extra DVD, surround sound versions.

Can't wait for Accelerate, what about you? Which albums do you have?

Love PTxx.
Yeah i think they need to pull it out of the bag with this new album, the single has grown on me alot.
I have them all too, they were the soundtrack to my school days alongside The Smiths & Mogsy.
Here's a little known track they wrote for the Automatic sessions but didn't complete the lyrics until after the album came out. They got their old friend Natalie Merchant to sing on it too.
Tis a great song called 'Photograph', enjoy!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C25E31DD1872BF1F

Bill Berry, one of the great musical monobrows of our time.
REM don't half miss him and they'll quite readily admit that.

Yeah i think they need to pull it out of the bag with this new album, the single has grown on me alot.
I have them all too, they were the soundtrack to my school days alongside The Smiths & Mogsy.
Here's a little known track they wrote for the Automatic sessions but didn't complete the lyrics until after the album came out. They got their old friend Natalie Merchant to sing on it too.
Tis a great song called 'Photograph', enjoy!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C25E31DD1872BF1F

They are such an amazing band! Thanks for the download link! I too wish Bill Berry was part of the band, I keep watching 'Hall Of Fame' videos in which he comes back to drum with them...they sound amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5TdBcAUts

Love PTxx.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom