Radio 2 Best Albums of the 1980's list (October 9, 2020)

You couldn't make Graceland these days, they'd call it cultural appropriation.
And that would be humanity’s loss, which is why we continue to kick against the pricks. I’m all for Africans enjoying American cultural artefacts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted lists are just a snapshot of what people are thinking, usually the demographic of the publisher, in that moment. They’re fun and spark discussions if you don’t take them as absolutely serious. I’ve never heard of abc I don’t think unless I’ve just forgotten that quickly and it’s hard to image dire straits as a top ten eighties band

Voted lists are just a snapshot of what people are thinking, usually the demographic of the publisher, in that moment. They’re fun and spark discussions if you don’t take them as absolutely serious. I’ve never heard of abc I don’t think unless I’ve just forgotten that quickly and it’s hard to image dire straits as a top ten eighties band
“it’s hard to image dire straits as a top ten eighties band”.

I was there, and it’s harder to believe they didn’t come top of this list.

Indeed. But I think that’s all accepted rather than ignored. These lists are all measures of the media, rather than the bands, and I think they are engaged as such by most people.

Nevertheless, it’s a fairly credible list—though I can’t explain why the patchy Lexicon of Love is favoured over Roxy Music’s seamlessly brilliant Avalon (given they arguably represent a similar style and audience): Who has Ferry f***ed off now? And whose arse has Fry been kissing? These are the salient questions if you really want to interpret these page fillers.
yip avalon is a fantastic album,take a chance with me has one of the best intros to any song,its up there with pyjamarama.

“it’s hard to image dire straits as a top ten eighties band”.

I was there, and it’s harder to believe they didn’t come top of this list.
they were everywhere for a time.it was the start of mtv and money for nothing was huge on that channel.

Who gives a shit anyway, the only best albums that matter are the ones that you consider to be the best albums. I went for my daily run today listening to The Lightning Seeds Jolification album, it will never appear on any best of list but will always be on mine. Also on mine but in no particular order:

The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
Love Bites - Buzzcocks
Low Life - New Order
Automatic For The People - REM
What ever you say etc -Artctic Monkeys
James - Millionaires
Ramones - Its Alive
Embrace - The Good Will Out
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
Echo and The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

Last edited:
I kind of enjoy lists like this! What jumps out at me here is that most of these albums stayed in the Top 10 for weeks and weeks and weeks, while the Stone Roses (0 weeks) and the Smiths (2 weeks) didn't. And yet, 30-plus years later, they're being remembered the great British public.
I find the whole 'Great Britain' and 'great British public' nomenclature completely moronic, self serving, and factually inaccurate. What is so GREAT about the 'British' public. You would never hear that wankery in a normal country like Ireland where people are not up their own arses or raised to think they are the zenith of humanity. The superiority complex carried around by these people is staggeringly stupid and not earned. The Smiths were great though.

Who gives a shit anyway, the only best albums that matter are the ones that you consider to be the best albums. I went for my daily run today listening to The Lightning Seeds Jolification album, it will never appear on any best of list but will always be on mine.
I'm listening to all my Kraftwerk albums again and rate them with The Smiths. Same for 80's New Order.

Who gives a shit anyway, the only best albums that matter are the ones that you consider to be the best albums. I went for my daily run today listening to The Lightning Seeds Jolification album, it will never appear on any best of list but will always be on mine. Also on mine but in no particular order:

Love Bites - Buzzcocks
Low Life - New Order
James - Millionaires
Ramones - Its Alive

What don’t you understand in 1980’s?

What don’t you understand in 1980’s?
Make sure you know how to form a proper sentence before you decide to attack somebody else.

Love Bites - Buzzcocks
Low Life - New Order
James - Millionaires
Ramones - Its Alive
You're absolutely right of course. It's all subjective. Whatever People Say, & Favourite Worst Nightmare are my 2 current 'best' & most played albums...after The Smiths debut album. P.S. Yes I know the first 2 are not from the 80's.

I find the whole 'Great Britain' and 'great British public' nomenclature completely moronic, self serving, and factually inaccurate. What is so GREAT about the 'British' public. You would never hear that wankery in a normal country like Ireland where people are not up their own arses or raised to think they are the zenith of humanity. The superiority complex carried around by these people is staggeringly stupid and not earned. The Smiths were great though.
Blame the Romans then do some wider reading, would be my suggestion.

Blame the Romans then do some wider reading, would be my suggestion.
A history of subjugating and pillaging countries isn't a valid excuse for modern maladjusted malodourous mealy mouthed morons to claim they are great.

A history of subjugating and pillaging countries isn't a valid excuse for modern maladjusted malodourous mealy mouthed morons to claim they are great.
Get a grip you pillock & go read something outside of this website, or is it the drink talking again? How is 'Great Britain' "factually inaccurate" by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
That, I would say, is a reductive account of British imperialism. It was often remarkably benign—only taking political advantage of the subjugation and pillaging that was already occurring.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom