Radio 2 Best Albums of the 1980's list (October 9, 2020)

“it’s hard to image dire straits as a top ten eighties band”.

I was there, and it’s harder to believe they didn’t come top of this list.

So was I but I’ll believe you. Looked up the album but didn’t remember a single song from it. I’m sure it sold a bunch but most people my age that I talk to never mention it. being popular imo isn’t enough to define a decade

So was I but I’ll believe you. Looked up the album but didn’t remember a single song from it. I’m sure it sold a bunch but most people my age that I talk to never mention it. being popular imo isn’t enough to define a decade
Errrm, when it comes to popular music there’s a good argument for saying that it is.

Errrm, when it comes to popular music there’s a good argument for saying that it is.

possibly but not always. Broadly speaking serious music on whatever level is divisive but people can agree more readily on non divisive pleasant but trivial things. People can buy things in droves but it doesn’t mean they’re taking what they’re buying seriously or consider it defining of there time

Bullocks. This is officially the best 80's album:
81vZcW8xoaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

possibly but not always. Broadly speaking serious music on whatever level is divisive but people can agree more readily on non divisive pleasant but trivial things. People can buy things in droves but it doesn’t mean they’re taking what they’re buying seriously or consider it defining of there time
I see your point but in terms of the list and what it represents let me put it like this: in the eighties I much preferred Michael Foot to Thatcher—but one of those two didn’t define the era for me. Guess which one did.

Last edited by a moderator:
You couldn't make Graceland these days, they'd call it cultural appropriation.

Some were callin' it cultural appropriation back when he made it.
Others were callin' it a peaceful protest against apartheid.
The musicians stood up for Paul and thanked him for the attention it gave.
Ya would get the same discussions today, but he could still make the thing.

Achtung Baby is my nomination for best studio album ever.

I don’t really enjoy any other U2 albums, but this only makes Achtung Baby even more remarkable.
Why that album? What makes it the one you can listen to and enjoy it?

when you look at some of the great groups who never made the cut,roxy music,bowie,the jam.the police,the cure,bruce springsteen,depeche mode,genesis.
it was an exceptional time for music and yet it gets slagged all the time,late 80s was when music died when stock aitken waterman flooded the charts with utter mince including jonboy marrs favourite kylie.

when you look at some of the great groups who never made the cut,roxy music,bowie,the jam.the police,the cure,bruce springsteen,depeche mode,genesis.
it was an exceptional time for music and yet it gets slagged all the time,late 80s was when music died when stock aitken waterman flooded the charts with utter mince including jonboy marrs favourite kylie.
Seen an interview with Elton John recently when he said the 'music' in the charts today actually isn't music and that there should be a separate national chart that only includes real music by proper artists.
This should be a way forward to recognise quality music as it's not getting anywhere near the charts due to thousands of kids downloading shite by the bucket load.

Why that album? What makes it the one you can listen to and enjoy it?
Whilst it’s defining (for me) now of their music, when I heard The Fly for the first time it simply didn’t sound like U2. I’m speculating, but I suspect they’d been listening to New Order, The Happy Mondays, The Jesus & Mary Chain and certain Stone Roses tracks (Fools Gold direction especially) and used them as a creative guide. Whist Achtung Baby sounds like none of the aforementioned, the apparent synthesis of the ‘old’ Dylanesque U2 and disco friendly indie rock represents pop music’s high point for me.

The brilliant remixes which came out with the singles (of which there were loads) added life to the album and didn’t sound like they were draining it. Achtung Baby felt like a three year period of time, as much as a record.

U2’s need to keep changing also meant they left it behind. And there it stands, balanced perfectly between Rattle and Hum’s ugly rock god affectations and the grounding cul-de-sac irony of Zooropa.

It’s pristine. Still perfect.

Seen an interview with Elton John recently when he said the 'music' in the charts today actually isn't music and that there should be a separate national chart that only includes real music by proper artists.
This should be a way forward to recognise quality music as it's not getting anywhere near the charts due to thousands of kids downloading shite by the bucket load.
Popular music is popular music. I think things like vinyl charts achieve what Elton John desires.

Amongst the ‘shite’ there are still some startling gems (Frank Ocean springs to mind). And it was always thus.

Edit: Frank Ocean still seems ‘new’ to me. Christ, I must be older than my dad.

Popular music is popular music. I think things like vinyl charts achieve what Elton John desires.

Amongst the ‘shite’ there are still some startling gems (Frank Ocean springs to mind). And it was always thus.
The problem with that is not all releases have a vinyl option plus I know vinyl sales have improved but not everyone is a fan of the format.
If an artist releases an album on cd, download and vinyl it'd only be the vinyl sales getting recognised going by what you're saying as the cd and download sales are getting 'lost' in the official charts, Morrissey is the perfect example of this.

Edit: Frank Ocean still seems ‘new’ to me. Christ, I must be older than my dad.
Is Frank, Billy's younger bruvver? 😉

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom