Radio 4 documentary on "Strangeways, Here We Come" (broadcast Nov. 13, 2012)

In the summer of 1987 Britain's best loved indie band abruptly came to end when guitarist Johnny Marr sensationally quit. The Morrissey/Marr partnership that had produced such a wealth of finely crafted pop tunes was over, just weeks after the group finished recording their fourth album, "Strangeways, Here We Come." Since then, all four band members have separately pronounced the LP as their best work. Bass player Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce also claim that, at the time, they were blissfully unaware of any conflict. So what happened?
In this final part of the Swansong series, Stuart Maconie examines the circumstances surrounding the final recording by The Smiths, revealing the reasons behind one of the most famous breakups in British pop history. With new interviews from Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke and producer Stephen Street and contributions from music journalist Sian Pattenden and Morrissey biographer Simon Goddard

Tue 13 Nov 2012 11:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ntfvn

Nice one, will be tuning in for that.

P.

Thank You for spotting & posting :thumb:

Caption contest? ~

b01ntfvn.jpg

The Smiths' Strangeways, Here We Come - BBC Radio 4
Episode 4 of 4

In the summer of 1987 Britain's best loved indie band abruptly came to end when guitarist Johnny Marr sensationally quit. The Morrissey/Marr partnership that had produced such a wealth of finely crafted pop tunes was over, just weeks after the group finished recording their fourth album, "Strangeways, Here We Come." Since then, all four band members have separately pronounced the LP as their best work. Bass player Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce also claim that, at the time, they were blissfully unaware of any conflict. So what happened?

In this final part of the Swansong series, Stuart Maconie examines the circumstances surrounding the final recording by The Smiths, revealing the reasons behind one of the most famous breakups in British pop history. With new interviews from Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke and producer Stephen Street and contributions from music journalist Sian Pattenden and Morrissey biographer Simon Goddard

Tue 13 Nov 2012 11:30

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Rourke and Joyce were just blissfully unaware. period.

sorry, I could not resist.

Thank You for spotting & posting :thumb:

Caption contest? ~

b01ntfvn.jpg

Sing me to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................................................................................................................!

b01ntfvn.jpg

"If I just close my eyes , it's like Morrissey's not even there ..."

"...But then you open your eyes and you see someone that you physically despise..." ;)

I remember there was only one radio station playing the smiths in Rio de Janeiro during those years, but it doesn't matter, that station played them all the time. There was one particular show in the afternoon and they decided to play the whole album as soon as it was released in the UK (no ads were heard between the tracks that special day, the whole album, played non-stop), which was such an amazing thing to happen (Radio Fluminense FM). It was truly difficult to get LPs quickly, local shops did not sell British indie bands at all, even though the smiths records were already available via big record labels like EMI etc it normally took months before one could find them in store. Excitement in the air, I prepared my old cassette recorder to save Strangeways, Here We Come. Particularly I think SHWC is the ultimate celebration of this spetacular band. Morrissey takes total control of his voice and uses it as he pleases. I always wanted to know if "I Won't Share You" is a song addressed to Marr, if so, Morrissey already knew there was danger in the air regarding Marr working with many other bands during that time, isn't it? Best line for me : "hair brushed and parted, typical me, typical me".

I remember there was only one radio station playing the smiths in Rio de Janeiro during those years, but it doesn't matter, that station played them all the time. There was one particular show in the afternoon and they decided to play the whole album as soon as it was released in the UK (no ads were heard between the tracks that special day, the whole album, played non-stop), which was such an amazing thing to happen (Radio Fluminense FM). It was truly difficult to get LPs quickly, local shops did not sell British indie bands at all, even though the smiths records were already available via big record labels like EMI etc it normally took months before one could find them in store. Excitement in the air, I prepared my old cassette recorder to save Strangeways, Here We Come. Particularly I think SHWC is the ultimate celebration of this spetacular band. Morrissey takes total control of his voice and uses it as he pleases. I always wanted to know if "I Won't Share You" is a song addressed to Marr, if so, Morrissey already knew there was danger in the air regarding Marr working with many other bands during that time, isn't it? Best line for me : "hair brushed and parted, typical me, typical me".

Nice post, thanks

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom