Recent photograph of Syd Barrett... has anyone seen this?

thanks for the pic. hope he isn't being bothered every time he goes out though. now that Roger has played with Pink Floyd again is it completely out of the question that Syd could appear with them again some day?

> thanks for the pic. hope he isn't being bothered every time he goes out
> though.

I recall reading something a couple of yards ago to the effect that someone had once staked out his yard and managed to obtain footage of him leaving the house; the film apparently made the rounds of several p2p networks. Pathetic.

> now that Roger has played with Pink Floyd again is it completely
> out of the question that Syd could appear with them again some day?

I believe that Gilmour has always remained in touch w/ Syd... so it seems as though, if ever, it would have already happened.

> I believe that Gilmour has always remained in touch w/ Syd... so it seems
> as though, if ever, it would have already happened.

Besides, would you REALLY want to see a group of badly ageing gentlemen in conservative (non-hippie) attire performing songs like: Bike, The Scarecrow, Lucifer Sam, and the acid-freak out Interstellar Overdrive? With the exception of classics like See Emily Play and, my favourite, Julia Dream, Barrett-era Floyd has dated terrribly; Jugband Blues might be interesting (and poignant). Now Barrett's solo-material remains as fresh and lovely as ever.

> Besides, would you REALLY want to see a group of badly ageing gentlemen in
> conservative (non-hippie) attire performing songs like: Bike, The
> Scarecrow, Lucifer Sam, and the acid-freak out Interstellar Overdrive?
> With the exception of classics like See Emily Play and, my favourite,
> Julia Dream, Barrett-era Floyd has dated terrribly; Jugband Blues might be
> interesting (and poignant). Now Barrett's solo-material remains as fresh
> and lovely as ever.

Yeah, you're right. I looked up this old interview with his nephew while I was thinking about this. You probably know it. I copied a section of it.

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/ianintw.htm

Set The Controls Interviews Ian Barrett:

sTc: What kind of music does he listen to these days?

IB: Roger does have a little record player, but he's only got a few records and tapes and they're mainly of classical concerts. He really isn't very interested in music anymore. He does have an acoustic guitar which I assume he strums to himself, but I've never heard him play it.

sTc: What does Roger think of himself... does he care at all about his past, and do you think he realizes that he's had a big influence on many other artists ?

IB: Rog. doesn't care one little bit about the past and is so removed now from the glamour and excitement of the showbiz world he once longed for; that I'm sure it confuses him that anyone else would care so much that he sung a few songs and played bit of guitar in the Sixties.

sTc: Is there something you would like to say to potential well wishing visitors to Roger's home in Cambridge?

IB: The one thing I'd really like to say to people wanting to visit Roger and see how he is - is please DON'T..!!!!! I know many fans are genuinely very caring and are interested in his well-being; but he really doesn't enjoy having people knock on his door virtually every day wanting to wish him well. PLEASE leave him in peace to get on with his life happily. I can reassure anyone concerned that he really is happy and content and he'd be more so if he didn't have to awkwardly meet fans hanging outside the house and nervously knocking on his door. To this end I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this who knows his address would refrain from publicizing it further. please don't tell people where he lives. Surely everyone has the right to a bit of privacy and peace and quiet. If Roger was still involved in the Music Business then he would be more fair game for a lack of privacy; but as it is he hasn't made a record for over TWENTY YEARS.!! please show him some consideration and leave him in peace. I know that Roger is touched by all the concern of his fans but he'd be much happier if you simply let him get on with his life undisturbed.

sTc: What does Roger say to the people who actually do knock on his door...is it just slammed in their face?

IB: Occasionally he may let them into his house; but generally he just closes the door as politely as possible.

sTc: Do you feel that Roger will ever come forward with his story, in book form or otherwise?

IB: I think it VERY unlikely. He simply isn't interested in going back over a time in his life that precipitated his breakdown and retreat from society. The whole Floyd time is so long ago that he simply wants to be left in peace to get on with his painting and reading and whatever.

There is more to the interview and it is worth reading.

That's certainly a better picture than the one at the studio circa '75 when the Floyd were recording Wish You Were Here. Anyone seen that one?

syd will NEVER play music live ever again.

> I recall reading something a couple of yards ago to the effect that
> someone had once staked out his yard and managed to obtain footage of him
> leaving the house; the film apparently made the rounds of several p2p
> networks. Pathetic.

> I believe that Gilmour has always remained in touch w/ Syd... so it seems
> as though, if ever, it would have already happened.

> Besides, would you REALLY want to see a group of badly ageing gentlemen in
> conservative (non-hippie) attire performing songs like: Bike, The
> Scarecrow, Lucifer Sam, and the acid-freak out Interstellar Overdrive?

in a word: yes.

> With the exception of classics like See Emily Play and, my favourite,
> Julia Dream, Barrett-era Floyd has dated terrribly;

i don't necessarily agree; i think there could be one hell of a set list. arnold layne, candy and a currant bun, lucifer sam, paint box, it would be so nice, julia dream, scarecrow, careful with that axe eugene...all songs i listen to frequently (though i think 'julia dream' and 'it would be so nice' are just after syd left).

> Jugband Blues might be
> interesting (and poignant).

LOVE that song.

> Now Barrett's solo-material remains as fresh
> and lovely as ever.

too true - the fragility is as obvious as it is on some nick drake recordings.

> (though i think 'julia dream' and 'it would be so
> nice' are just after syd left).

I thought similarly before noticing JD's inclusion on the second vol. of the Barrett boot "Have you Got it Yet". Now, scanning though the tracklistings of later volumes, I glance over much inexplicable post-Barrett material. Damn bootleggers.

MMM nice pic.I can tell from the bag that Syd has been shopping in that fine establishment Robert Sayle...part of the John Lewis chain.

I used to cyle passed his house on my way to and from work.It was actually his parents house but I am not sure if they are alive anymore.It's a nice street,nothing special.

My mate delivered his mail when he was doing that round and as a postie and he assured me there was several royalty cheques delivered over the years which should keep Syd happily stocked up with paints and tea.

Also knew a guy who played with Floyd in the early days.He was just known as Smudge but his real name was Robert and was in a pretty bad state for years with booze.

Personally I HATE Pink Floyd but thats for another thread

I know where Syd Barrett lives...

And I'm Dan Treacly as well...

No no, thanks for the interesting interview though!

And thanks to Cod for the pic.

Back
Top Bottom