Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time drops 3 Smiths albums

Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

UPDATE Sep. 23:

Posted by sfchow:

Not sure if this been mentioned, but Morrissey did submit his list of albums to RS

(scroll down; right above Stuart Murdoch!)

I wonder if any of Morrissey's votes made it into the final 500...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but do we know what the criteria is? Morning Glory sold 10 times what The Queen is dead did and its a very good album but in my opinion TQID is better.

Sales shouldn't be the criteria. The Velvet Underground are represented and they hardly sold any records in their day...

Thats my point, what is the criteria, it's not very clear.

Ok, from their website, "Voters were asked to submit ranked ballots listing their 50 favorite albums of all time. Votes were tabulated, with the highest-ranked album on each list receiving 300 points, the second highest 290 points, and so on down to 44 points for number 50. More than 3,000 albums received at least one vote." So the criteria is simply "50 favorite albums of all time". Oasis would definitely not make my list!!

Ok, from their website, "Voters were asked to submit ranked ballots listing their 50 favorite albums of all time. Votes were tabulated, with the highest-ranked album on each list receiving 300 points, the second highest 290 points, and so on down to 44 points for number 50. More than 3,000 albums received at least one vote." So the criteria is simply "50 favorite albums of all time". Oasis would definitely not make my list!!

Ah, well that's why it's flawed then. Definitely Maybe would have made my list and so would Artic Monkeys, Whatever people say etc, simply because they were both brilliant debut albums but neither would be above TQID from my perspective.

Ah, well that's why it's flawed then. Definitely Maybe would have made my list and so would Artic Monkeys, Whatever people say etc, simply because they were both brilliant debut albums but neither would be above TQID from my perspective.
Same here. Both Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory would have made my personal list of favourites, but I'd never argue that either of them should be part of a definitive list of "greatest albums of all time".
But at least three Smiths albums (and one or two Morrissey ones) deserve a spot on this list.

Marvin Gaye is the #1... LOL.
It's like reading that Bansky is the #1 painter in the history of mankind.

(Oh.. I am sorry, Marvin Gaye fans).

Same here. Both Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory would have made my personal list of favourites, but I'd never argue that either of them should be part of a definitive list of "greatest albums of all time".
But at least three Smiths albums (and one or two Morrissey ones) deserve a spot on this list.
I agree.
But instead, The Weeknd's BBTM is there among the greatest of all time. I do like The Weeknd musically, not lyrically, though, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him on the list.

Marvin Gaye is the #1... LOL.
It's like reading that Bansky is the #1 painter in the history of mankind.

(Oh.. I am sorry, Marvin Gaye fans).
I agree, mr Gaye is only number 1 because of the political nature of the world at the moment... give it a few years and he’ll be booted back down the list when it’s all forgotten about....

And of course not a single country record on here...Hank Williams? Johnny Cash? Merle Haggard? Nahh that would be racist!!!

I agree, mr Gaye is only number 1 because of the political nature of the world at the moment... give it a few years and he’ll be booted back down the list when it’s all forgotten about....
Are you for real? WGO has been on virtually every best-album-list for the last 40 years. It's a widely acclaimed masterpiece, transcending race, genres and generations. I can't believe how many white guitar band fans are butthurt by the fact that Marvin (rightfully) claims the top spot and not boring old Beatles, Dylan, Beach Boys or f***ing Zeppelin for the umpteenth time.

And of course not a single country record on here...Hank Williams? Johnny Cash? Merle Haggard? Nahh that would be racist!!!

Did you even look at the list?

Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison – #164

Hank Williams – 40 Greatest Hits – #132

Willie Nelson – The Red Headed Stranger – #237

Patsy Cline – The Ultimate Collection – #229

Dolly Parton – Coat of Many Colors – #257

Merle Haggard – Down Every Road (1962-1994) – #284

The (Dixie) Chicks – Fly at #224

Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour at #270

Shania Twain – Come On Over at #300

Eric Church – Chief at #419

Loretta Lynn – Coal Miner’s Daughter at #440

Miranda Lambert – The Weight of These Wings at #480

Took this from a country-music website that just reported on the list.

Are you for real? WGO has been on virtually every best-album-list for the last 40 years. It's a widely acclaimed masterpiece, transcending race, genres and generations. I can't believe how many white guitar band fans are butthurt by the fact that Marvin (rightfully) claims the top spot and not boring old Beatles, Dylan, Beach Boys or f***ing Zeppelin for the umpteenth time.
This is a fair point you raise, but when has this album ever been number 1in these kind of charts??? Yes it’s always knocked about the 20 or so ... but you have to admit it has shot up to number 1 because of events over the pond!!!
I don’t want to mention the R word at this time of night as it might temp Burke and hare out of their coffins 😜

Did you even look at the list?

Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison – #164

Hank Williams – 40 Greatest Hits – #132

Willie Nelson – The Red Headed Stranger – #237

Patsy Cline – The Ultimate Collection – #229

Dolly Parton – Coat of Many Colors – #257

Merle Haggard – Down Every Road (1962-1994) – #284

The (Dixie) Chicks – Fly at #224

Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour at #270

Shania Twain – Come On Over at #300

Eric Church – Chief at #419

Loretta Lynn – Coal Miner’s Daughter at #440

Miranda Lambert – The Weight of These Wings at #480

Took this from a country-music website that just reported on the list.
Great run down, I was reading it with smashy and nicey going through my mind ... not arf pop pickers

This is a fair point you raise, but when has this album ever been number 1in these kind of charts??? Yes it’s always knocked about the 20 or so ... but you have to admit it has shot up to number 1 because of events over the pond!!!
I don’t want to mention the R word at this time of night as it might temp Burke and hare out of their coffins 😜

Could it be that WGO is more meaningful and moving to contemporary listeners than Sgt. P's? I mean, what does "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" really have to say to us today? But "What's Going On" and "Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)" could not be more relevant.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom