Shame Is The Name

I bet the file is already circulating through PM's. :thumb: sooner or later it will make its appearance in the forum.

can somebody pm me the link to the song please??

turn my horrible day into a happy one :tears:

I'm not proud... if someone wants to throw the link my way via PM, it'd be appreciated. It may help me forget about those tossers at recordstore.co.uk flogging my order (unless of course they've sent the stuff and just not updated their site ;) )

Its a very familiar sounding track, musically, very 1980s (a big hit) same chord sequence, can't quite put my finger on it yet....

talent borrows, genius steals.

How come it hasn't made an appearance on the forum yet then??? Anyway I may purchase a copy in the Big Smoke in a bit. Just doing my bit for Moz's Claridges residency.

Anyone think Morrissey is going to turn up at one of the MAgazine gigs? Methinks so.....

Late to the party as always

Got the 3 formats yesterday and had the house to myself all last night so got some great listening-time on my own.

Shame Is The Name has immediately usurped THPGU in my Years Of Refusal. It fits perfectly; with the dissonant sound building at the end of the track and then re-appearing as the chugging, engine noise on ODGWBF. I get it, it's got another artist collaborating on it so was probably vetoed from the album for that reason but man.....it should have been on there.

The track itself is very, very good. Miles better than Because Of My Poor Education. Hyndes vocals are subdued yes, only really being identifable on the last verse but they do complement Moz's very well.

And he is outstanding here. The vocal delivery is superb for this era Morrissey. He takes the delivery of "What's your name?" all over the place, making each verse unique and special. Delivery like this is what I feel has been sorely lacking in some of his recent output. Plus I get the feeling ( but then who am I? ) that he really, really likes this track. Definatelty going to see this one live I think.

Alain again brings the goods home - without effort apparently. Cracking tune, the ghostly harmonica making it oh so special (yes it reminds me of The Smiths too, I know, I know).

Another buried B-Side Gem Moz.....so like you, you're just givng it away.

GC

I'm not proud... if someone wants to throw the link my way via PM, it'd be appreciated. It may help me forget about those tossers at recordstore.co.uk flogging my order (unless of course they've sent the stuff and just not updated their site ;) )

Apparently they dont have enough stock according to an earlier post...Im worrying about mine now :mad:

Oh, I really, really liked this song! =D I've just heard it for the first time. Wasn't expecting something as good actually, since I didn't really enjoy most of the album tracks that much.

"Because of my poor education" sounds really good as well. The piano in both songs make them even better. Love the harmonica too.

Please bring back Alain, he can write the songs for Morrissey which in turn makes him write really inspired vocal melodies. It really seems to be that way.

I was almost surprised. In a pleasant way.

Well I think it's a wry remark. He's clearly commenting on the inane and foolish teenagers who are so commonplace and I think it's quite clear that he's satirising the abysmal grammar and nonsense that they themselves come out with.

I don't think so, maybe this is the case, but he's become more and more fond of playing with language and grammar in recent years.

Too late for me to think of any now, but I'll have a think on it tomorrow morning :thumb:

Agreed on both points, and neither of them are a bad reason, I just hope he doesnt make it a regular thing. :)

Its a very familiar sounding track, musically, very 1980s (a big hit) same chord sequence, can't quite put my finger on it yet....

talent borrows, genius steals.

Not sure about musically but I recon a relation to Tony The Pony

"You get drunk all day
And you're sick all night"

"You're drunker quicker
and you're sicker even quicker"

I know that's only one similair line from each song, but you get the point, the themes of "alcohol and incolence... is that all you can do?"

amirite? =]

Nah I know what Bluebirds means (I think!) it's the song as a whole, the melody and general sound, does sound very familiar! I wish I could realise what it is similar to though.

Thanks so much starless! I love it!

That sneaky listen will tide me over 'til recordstore finally get round to sending me the bundle I ordered nearly a month ago!

thanks starless

I like it. I think its just a little better than at least half of YoR. again, I like the piano in this one too.

I like the groove of this one alot which is something YOR has practially none of..Its got about three or four too many "shame is the name" repititions for my taste and the piano part at the end sounds really random like someone was drunk and just started hitting notes..Did Pooley play on this one??The odd meter in the bridge is kind of strange..But overall I give it a :thumb:

Last edited:
Best song of the YOR sessions - by a mile.
It actually has decent lyrics, good memorable melody, wonderful music.

Tags
alain whyte b-side shame is the name
Back
Top Bottom