SomethingAwful takes on Moz

> Yikes!

*Yawn* another hack with ears full of wax giving their opinion.
Everybody has one.

It's a joke article. I know the person who wrote it, and they're actually a huge Smiths fan. Same goes for Joy Division and Pavement. I personally thought it was a funny review.

Of course they'd pick "Meat Is Murder" as their example for what a typical Morrissey lyric looks like. That's hitting below the belt I think. Ah well, Something Awful is an amusing website and they take the piss out of everyone so I take no offense. However, if they bash all these bands, I shudder to think of what their record collections look like. They're probably either conventional as f*** with a few fashionably eclectic records thrown in for show (that would be the best case scenario) or else they're full of albums by MTV's current darlings.

> It's a joke article. I know the person who wrote it, and they're actually
> a huge Smiths fan. Same goes for Joy Division and Pavement. I personally
> thought it was a funny review.

i was wondering because they made a crack at the spelling of Cemetry Gates, and i thought, "surely they aren't that humorless..."

> Yikes!

The only difference between Nickelback and The Smiths is that Smiths fans dress slightly better and don't beat their girlfriends as hard.

hahah.

Worthless articles...

I followed the link hoping to read something entertaining, but no dice. The author of that piece (and the ones on Joy Division and MBV) said absolutely nothing. They read as if he copied out the bio from their press kit and simply added some variation of "...and it sucks" after every detail. By throwing in general knowledge and a few lyrics he makes it sounds as if he knows enough to slaughter these "sacred cows", but it's not hard to see the witless tool knows nothing about The Smiths, Joy Division, or My Bloody Valentine.

I found it hilarious that he explained what punk rock was, and then post-punk: if you're explaining these concepts to a general readership, the bands on the chopping block aren't sacred cows and the articles are pointless.

Anyone on this site could have done an infinitely better job of bludgeoning Morrissey and The Smiths-- and many have.

Someone posted a link to the Tangents web site after one of the "staff" writers dared to suggest The Smiths were overrated-- now that was an informed, interesting swipe at a sacred cow. It didn't convince me, but the author did dare to put forward a band he loved-- a risk the SomethingAwful guy didn't take-- and now I'm a Go-Betweens fan.

Just an example of how the range of ideas on the Internet offers you the good and the useless and everything in between.

Back
Top Bottom