Songs you never want to hear live again

My hot take is that I quite like the solo version of TCM, but I of course understand why others dislike or hate it. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one, but mine is wonderful.
im with you on tcm,prefer the solo version.

ah yes the song he performed once eleven years ago was once too many!
:lbf: :lbf: :lbf: - indeed. And probably unlikely to ever give it another outing.

Paris
Sunday
If You Don’t Like Me
Ripper
World Peace
Bullfighter
You’ll Be Gone
Chain Gang
Irish Blood
Jacky

even though I like some of the above, they’ve been done to death and need a long rest.
Special mention for the below:

Kid’s A Looker
Scandinavia
Kiss Me Shalot
People Are The Same
Ganglord
Carol

:lbf: :lbf: :lbf: - indeed. And probably unlikely to ever give it another outing.

Paris
Sunday
If You Don’t Like Me
Ripper
World Peace
Bullfighter
You’ll Be Gone
Chain Gang
Irish Blood
Jacky

even though I like some of the above, they’ve been done to death and need a long rest.
Special mention for the below:

Kid’s A Looker
Scandinavia
Kiss Me Shalot
People Are The Same
Ganglord
Carol
Thing is Everyday Is Like Sunday is without debate his greatest solo song, the reaction it gets at every gig around the World is fantastic, it should be a staple of every Morrissey concert.

Some songs still give me a thrill, no matter how many times I've heard Moz perform them live (eg: First of the Gang). Others have been so overplayed they now bore me to tears, and I could happily go the rest of my life without hearing again. Here's my list - what would be yours?:

• How Soon is Now
  • World Peace is None of Your Business
  • Meat is Murder
  • Everyday is Like Sunday
  • I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
  • The Bullfighter Dies
Spanish version of Speedway. If in any country that isnt Spanish speaking. In fact any Mexican version of any Moz and Smiths song
Paris
Bull Fighter
Sunday
World Peace

The problem with the setlists, especially in the last five years or so since WP, is that there's too much stuff that doesn't please anyone. We can all debate the deep cuts that we would like to hear, but absolutely no one on this sad little planet wants to hear "People Are The Same..." ever again, as a quick example.

At Amber making a reappearance - good, a solo number from years ago that Smiths and or Casual fans may recall from their younger days.
If You Don't like Me.../Munich Air Disaster staying in the setlist for years - not so good. Tucked away on a b-side compilation from the start of the brand turning sour, and a ROTT or YATQ single that not even I can remember right now.

And the obsessive can froth at the mouth saying a 70 minute set of nothing but obscure songs is good enough for them - great, for the eight minutes he fills the arena with Meat is Murder, that's denying us of two, maybe even three, songs that more people would want to hear.

Seriously though, if he never played Scandinavia again I'd forgive him for being a racist.

We can all debate the deep cuts that we would like to hear, but absolutely no one on this sad little planet wants to hear "People Are The Same..." ever again, as a quick example.
@Mozmar ! Take note.

Apologies to Ben Budd, I just had to prove a point.

The problem with the setlists, especially in the last five years or so since WP, is that there's too much stuff that doesn't please anyone. We can all debate the deep cuts that we would like to hear, but absolutely no one on this sad little planet wants to hear "People Are The Same..." ever again, as a quick example.

At Amber making a reappearance - good, a solo number from years ago that Smiths and or Casual fans may recall from their younger days.
If You Don't like Me.../Munich Air Disaster staying in the setlist for years - not so good. Tucked away on a b-side compilation from the start of the brand turning sour, and a ROTT or YATQ single that not even I can remember right now.

And the obsessive can froth at the mouth saying a 70 minute set of nothing but obscure songs is good enough for them - great, for the eight minutes he fills the arena with Meat is Murder, that's denying us of two, maybe even three, songs that more people would want to hear.

Seriously though, if he never played Scandinavia again I'd forgive him for being a racist.
Is it a while since you've seen Moz live? For several years he has been playing 1hr 40-45 mins sets which is more than decent. That's been my experience seeing him the length and breadth of the UK anyway.

Is it a while since you've seen Moz live? For several years he has been playing 1hr 40-45 mins sets which is more than decent. That's been my experience seeing him the length and breadth of the UK anyway.
I last saw him in 2015.

But I would argue the length of the gig point stands - ok, if the show is 100/110 minutes great, but there's invariably a good 20 minutes of that lost to songs that no one is fussed to hear, expect some try hard at the front who needs to be peeled off the barrier when the house lights come up.

The 2011 Janice Long cuts are just so, so bad. Action... gets a pass because it's mercifully short.
I love Action Is My Middle Name, how it was written at the same time as the other two is beyond me, because they are indeed pretty bad.

I love Action Is My Middle Name, how it was written at the same time as the other two is beyond me, because they are indeed pretty bad.
I love it too and play it often, I felt it had all the ingredients to be a classic Moz single, it was rejected unfairly at the time in my opinion. If it had been released with PATSE as a b-side I reckon it could have done well.

I love it too and play it often, I felt it had all the ingredients to be a classic Moz single, it was rejected unfairly at the time in my opinion. If it had been released with PATSE as a b-side I reckon it could have done well.
The version on 25 live is outstanding.

I last saw him in 2015.

But I would argue the length of the gig point stands - ok, if the show is 100/110 minutes great, but there's invariably a good 20 minutes of that lost to songs that no one is fussed to hear, expect some try hard at the front who needs to be peeled off the barrier when the house lights come up.
It's all a matter of preference I guess, I enjoy the deeper cuts live as I play them regularly at home so they're as familiar to me as the big hitters. I do acknowledge your point though that fans / casual followers maybe don't know every track he's ever recorded and are hoping to hear his more well known songs.

I've not watched that recently, need to get DVD on tonight. Enjoyed seeing it in the cinema when released.
I listen to the audio a lot, pretty much like a live album.

Thing is Everyday Is Like Sunday is without debate his greatest solo song, the reaction it gets at every gig around the World is fantastic, it should be a staple of every Morrissey concert.

It is a great song but, of the 220+ times I’ve seen him as a solo artist, that must have been played at 75%. Paris has somehow made about 95% of gigs since its 2007 debut. Staggering.

It's all a matter of preference I guess, I enjoy the deeper cuts live as I play them regularly at home so they're as familiar to me as the big hitters. I do acknowledge your point though that fans / casual followers maybe don't know every track he's ever recorded and are hoping to hear his more well known songs.
He's every right to play any track he wants, obv, but my wider point is that certain tracks have been coming and going from the setlist for years and I genuinely do not know anyone who feels they're masterpieces (Munich, If you don't, etc etc)

However, as above, it's been 5 years since I went to a gig and I won't be going again, so it's all an elephant

It's not just the fact that 'Sunday' has been played at more concerts than almost every other solo song, but in recent years the tempo has been slowed down to a snail's pace, so it's pretty dirge-like. (I did a double take when I listened to the studio version recently for the first time in a while - it sounded so relatively fast on 'The Very Best of' I had to double check it hadn't been sped up). I get that it's the sort of thing to appeal to the uber casual fan, who like to have a drunken singalong, but there are so many other hit singles he could choose instead. How about something more uptempo, like 'The More You Ignore Me', instead? Killer song - rarely played, for some reason.

I've always wondered why he favours 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' so much. Fond memories perhaps, or was it a minor hit of more than usual significance? To me it just sounds like any old filler album track.

I've always wondered why he favours 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' so much. Fond memories perhaps, or was it a minor hit of more than usual significance? To me it just sounds like any old filler album track.
In Autobiography he wrote that his management implied that Paris might chart exceptionally high, so he was devastated when it came in at number 21 and didn't even chart in France at all. I assume that his obsession with the song has do with this hugely disappointing experience.

That being said, the song has somehow grown on me a lot and I don't really mind hearing it over and over again. It's short and the vocal melody is catchy and it seems like he enjoys singing it.

Back
Top Bottom