Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley: "MORRISSEY WAS RIGHT IN WHAT HE SAID ABOUT ENGLAND"

Theo

Hadley defends Morrissey over racism claims
Friday, December 7 2007, 15:07 GMT
By Beth Hilton

Spandau Ballet singer Tony Hadley has defended Morrissey against claims that he is racist.

The former Smiths frontman was asked to clarify his views on immigration by the Love Music Hate Racism organisation after he allegedly made controversial comments during an interview with the NME.

The magazine quoted him as saying: "Other countries have held on to their basic identity, yet it seems to me that England has thrown it away." He also reportedly said that he could no longer hear a British accent in Knightsbridge.

Morrissey responded to the claims by accusing NME editor Connor McNicholas of being willing to "misreport, misquote, misinterpret, falsify, and incite the bloodthirsty".

But Hadley supported the views allegedly expressed by Morrissey in the interview, saying: "Morrissey was right in what he said about England losing its identity because of immigration. I would back that.

"Everyone jumps on the race bandwagon when you mention immigration. But this is a very small island. Immigration has brought some benefits but we need to keep it under control. This is not about race, we just need to know how many people are in this country."

Morrissey began legal action against the NME last week after it failed to apologise for the article.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a81307/hadley-defends-morrissey-over-racism-claims.html

Last edited:
Re: Spandau Ballet's Tony Handley: "MORRISSEY WAS RIGHT IN WHAT HE SAID ABOUT ENGLAND

Tony Hadley is standing as a Tory candidate.

Good singer, but a bit of an arse.

Peter

Re: Spandau Ballet's Tony Handley: "MORRISSEY WAS RIGHT IN WHAT HE SAID ABOUT ENGLAND

Bodes ill for the cause when the singer of Spandau f***ing Ballet jumps in to offer support. Has anyone asked Haircut 100 if they might side with Morrissey?

Tony Hadley is exploiting the situation for his political cause.
Pathetic.

Bodes ill for the cause when the singer of Spandau f***ing Ballet jumps in to offer support. Has anyone asked Haircut 100 if they might side with Morrissey?
Yea Worm, Haircut 100, The Joboxers, Go West AND The Blow Monkeys
are now all on Morrissey's side!

This troubles me somewhat...there are a few people crawling out of the woodwork and using Mogsy's current difficulties as an opportunity to express racist views. Disappointingly, some are fans.:mad:

If David Cameron gets involved we will be truly f***ed.

Yea Worm, Haircut 100, The Joboxers, Go West AND The Blow Monkeys
are now all on Morrissey's side!

Incidentally one of the Blow Monkey's albums is She Was Only A Grocer's Daughter. :p

Tony Hadley is standing as a Tory candidate.

Good singer, but a bit of an arse.

Peter

What is the world coming to when popstars are running for public office? (I say from the country in which Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected Governor.)

Racism and Immigration are not synonymous- as Beth Hilton (journalist) once again erroneously postulates. That's why two different words are required. Do we have to censure all public political debate (as the NME appear to want to do) so that the 'lower orders' (and, yes, I'm being deliberately ironic) don't get 'confused' about the difference? I've expostulated greatly on these topics on the main board, but the level of debate is so fatuous as to challenge my sanity. As I've stated: Where is the tape? What did Morrissey actually say? What questions did Jonze ask? In the slipstream of any media whirlwind, anyone and everyone will try to jump aboard, including Tony Hadley, who had a pleasantly seductive voice if you've had enough Bacardi & Coke. But he's hardly Barry White. If he's standing as a Tory MP, I won't be able to get it up to 'True' anymore. Shame!

Tony Hadley is exploiting the situation for his political cause.
Pathetic.

All he said was that he agrees with Morrissey's comments on immigration.

Morrissey, in the NME piece, stated that he likes to "put certain topics on the table for discussion."

Is Tony Hadley not allowed to take part in that discussion?

Last edited:

This troubles me somewhat...there are a few people crawling out of the woodwork and using Mogsy's current difficulties as an opportunity to express racist views. Disappointingly, some are fans.:mad:

If David Cameron gets involved we will be truly f***ed.

It's un-clear to me if you're accusing David Cameron of being a racist.

David Cameron, like Morrissey, has stated absolutely clearly that he detests racism. He also condemns the BNP, and said "BNP is a party that thrives on hatred, that wants to set one race against another.... I hope nobody votes for the BNP. I would rather people voted for any other party. I think they are completely unacceptable in their views and they thrive on hatred."

David Cameron, like Morrissey, has given his formal support to Unite Against Fascism. http://www.uaf.org.uk/aboutUAF.asp?choice=4

David Cameron, like Morrissey, has some concerns with regards to current immigration policies.

David Cameron, like Morrissey, likes the music of Morrissey.

So, I hope you're not implying Cameron is some sort of racist.

You do seem to be suggesting that Tony Hadley is a racist. I don't know very much at all about him, but if you're suggesting he's a racist because he agrees with Morrissey's comments on immigration, aren't you also saying that Morrissey is a racist?

Last edited:
If I thought Mogsy was a racist I would come right out and say it, thanks.

Kajagoogoo?

this should be an off-topic discussion at the very least! How about making it in to a racist frink thread or something equally daft, c'mon mods wake up & bin it please.

love

Grim

this should be an off-topic discussion at the very least! How about making it in to a racist frink thread or something equally daft, c'mon mods wake up & bin it please.

love

Grim

One person who is for sure a racist (of the anti-Semite variety) is George Galloway. Grim's fave politician.

To make sure I touch on Morrissey's statement so we're not off-topic, I'll note how Morrissey fawned over Julie Burchill. She's mentioned Grim's hero in her writings: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=46120

I can't help noticing that, over the years, a disproportionate number of attractive, kind, clever people are drawn to Jews; those who express hostility to them, however, from Hitler to Hamza, are often as not repulsive freaks.

Think of famous anti-Zionist windbags - Redgrave, Highsmith, Galloway - and what dreary, dysfunctional, po-faced vanity confronts us. When we consider famous Jew-lovers, on the other hand - Marilyn, Ava, Liz, Felicity Kendal, me - what a sumptuous banquet of radiant humanity we look upon!

Maybe Grim will sport his Love Moz Hate Racism shirt next time he protests outside a Jewish-owned Marks & Spencer store. Whatever he does, maybe he shouldn't be such a commie, trying to get my thread deleted by moderators.

Last edited:

All he said was that he agrees with Morrissey's comments on immigration.

I was thinking that too.
Not sure why people on here are peeved by it ?

One person who is for sure a racist (of the anti-Semite variety) is George Galloway.

To make sure I touch on Morrissey's statement so we're not off-topic, I noted how Morrissey fawned over Julie Burchill. She's mentioned Grim's hero in her writings: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=46120

Galloway is a pompous fool.Anti Zionist but hardly a racist.
Not too sure that quoting Julie Burchill helps your case though

Morrissey hasn't a bigoted bone in his body, we know this much is true ;)

He will have the lovers, haters and the indifferent joining the bandwagon over this, all hijacking his fight for their own purposes. The political parties especially will try to exploit him, but we know that Morrissey stands for the views of the Morrissey party and nobody else; "we won't vote conservative, because we never have, everyone lies".
Now Moz has made his position clear the best thing he can do is maintain a dignified silence and get on with what he does best, i.e. being a generally amazing pop star and all round icon.

Back
Top Bottom