Strange/unexpected Moz references?

FB_IMG_1581095161713.jpg

Assumed to be an album review - LTW haven't been overly positive recently towards Morrissey - it will be interesting to see what they make of it.

Regards,
FWD.

(NTS: buy next week).

20200209_202844.jpg
FB_IMG_1581280103193.jpg FB_IMG_1581280100592.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

• When asked about Pasolini movies in an interview given to XL magazine in 2006 Morrissey said: "My favorite is Mamma Roma, a masterpiece. It's still so modern. I don't think he has reached those levels again. He was a genuine talent with many skills: Films, novels, essays. In interviews he was wonderful, never unprepared, nervous. An heroical person."
  • Morrissey was very vocal about his love of Pasolini movies in 2006 (see his film "Accattone" at the top of this list). He mentions the man in his song "You Have Killed Me" and even used a photograph of Pasolini as a stage backdrop for a portion of the Tour Of The Tormentors MMVI.
  • In concert in Rome on 16 July 2006 Morrissey greeted the audience by shouting "Mamma Roma!"
81X7xXRGJjL._AC_SY445_.jpg

7155ceL9RzL._SY445_.jpg

Last night I started reading (or, listening to the audiobook of) Christopher Eccleston's memoir "I Love the Bones of You" - there's lots of detail in the early pages about being shaped by Salford, which then morphs into a few encounters in later life with some of his Mancunian heroes, including Paul Scholes and Morrissey. Eccleston relates chatting to a producer in a cafe when they see Morrissey on Deansgate. Eccleston is encouraged to go and talk to him:

I got on my bike and followed him. He'd just walked up to Waterstones.
"Excuse me, Morrissey."
"Oh, hello." [In the audiobook, Eccleston does a wonderful Morrissey voice.]
"My name's Chris Eccleston."
"Yes, I know."
"Oh, right...I just want to say thank you." I stuck my hand out. He shook it.
"No, no," he said. "Thank you." And walked off.
I'm fairly sure it was a more remarkable experience for me than it was for him, and the reverse anecdote doesn't appear in his own autobiography. But the significance of Morrissey knowing who I am will never be lost on me.

It's a really, really lovely book - am about a third of the way through it so far.

Last night I started reading (or, listening to the audiobook of) Christopher Eccleston's memoir "I Love the Bones of You" - there's lots of detail in the early pages about being shaped by Salford, which then morphs into a few encounters in later life with some of his Mancunian heroes, including Paul Scholes and Morrissey. Eccleston relates chatting to a producer in a cafe when they see Morrissey on Deansgate. Eccleston is encouraged to go and talk to him:

I got on my bike and followed him. He'd just walked up to Waterstones.
"Excuse me, Morrissey."
"Oh, hello." [In the audiobook, Eccleston does a wonderful Morrissey voice.]
"My name's Chris Eccleston."
"Yes, I know."
"Oh, right...I just want to say thank you." I stuck my hand out. He shook it.
"No, no," he said. "Thank you." And walked off.
I'm fairly sure it was a more remarkable experience for me than it was for him, and the reverse anecdote doesn't appear in his own autobiography. But the significance of Morrissey knowing who I am will never be lost on me.

It's a really, really lovely book - am about a third of the way through it so far.
Nice! I really enjoyed his narration of “The Importance of Being Morrissey.”

"Morrissey's swerve into reprehensible political gibberish, mediocre albums, and lackluster live shows over the past 20 years has left many sweet and tender hooligans reaching for their Smiths albums far less often than they used to. Local electronic musician Nicky Flowers has a solution: a covers project called the Smynths, which recently dropped the charming EP The Smynths Return. It seems bound to offend the famously synth-averse Mozzer: Flowers turbocharges Johnny Marr's melodies with a raft of ringing keyboards and glorious vocoder-assisted crooning. Giving offense is the point—the Smynths are "dedicated to psychically destroying Morrissey," Flowers says. "Johnny Marr was the Smiths, 100 percent." Shots fired! Due to prohibitive licensing costs, the Smynths aren't on any streaming services, but the EP (and a 2018 self-titled full-length) are available via Flowers's Bandcamp."

Another shirt to add to their range of Moz products.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom