The Angelic Upstarts - what's the connection with Morrissey

The Seeker of Good Songs

I am only familiar with The Angelic Upstarts by name and the t-shirt the little girl is wearing in The More You Ignore Me video.

What is the connection with Morrissey?

Never Had Nothin', Teenage Warning, I'm An Upstart and Kids On The Streets have featured in music played at his concerts.

This may interest you from a Q interview in April 1994:

Q: As a lyricist, are you peerless?
Well, the obvious answer is yes, but as people read these lines they would hate me for saying so, particularly those people who make music and perhaps think they are peerless. But I say it with the maximum concern for the future of pop music and, let's face it, it doesn't really have one. Although I will go home tonight and play music very loudly and get very excited, I rarely hear lyrics sung by others which motivate me in any way. Even the people I quite like are quite silly, really, lyrically.
Q: Who would these records be by?
It would be The Angelic Upstarts, Echobelly, The Ramones, Gallon Drunk... and me. Me at a higher volume, of course.

The complete interview: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1994/hello.htm

Wait a BIG FAT MINUTE here....did Moz say he likes The Ramones??!!:eek: :D I'm about to fall over! That's cool....I never thought he would, if he does?

Wait a BIG FAT MINUTE here....did Moz say he likes The Ramones??!!:eek: :D I'm about to fall over! That's cool....I never thought he would, if he does?

Oh yeah, you bet your bippy he likes the Ramones. :p

He featured "Judy is a Punk" on his Under the Influence compilation.

*!!chokes for about an hour!!* That's freakin awesome!! I think this is the best thing I have discovered about him today. That makes me so happy! I love them......so cool to have something in common with him before I even knew who he was.....:D

And here's what Moz wrote about Ramones in his sleevenotes to "Under the Influence":

"In the real world of pop songs, genius drags the always reluctant world along. Awful to listen to on first play, the first Ramones album stays beside me almost thirty years on. A cruel £5.29 on import in 1976, this is an album of criminal ballads, and “Judy is a Punk” still sends a shock through the blood, complete with red-herring lyrical lift from “I’m Henry the Eighth, I Am” (“second verse/it’s the same as the first”). At Manchester’s Electric Circus to promote their debut album, the Ramones move across the stage like human remains floating ashore. Smallpox brought them together. Joey is whooping cough on two impossibly long legs. Someone who has been murdered in a hospital bed looks better than Joey.
The Ramones do nothing to conceal their disabilities, and I am once again in love.
and oh I don’t know why/oh I don’t know why
perhaps they’ll die? Oh yeah
perhaps they’ll die? Oh yeah.

And then, “third verse/it’s different from the first” – I’m just glad they alerted us."

and in Word magazine, 2003 http://www.alinkarel.plus.com/smiths/moz6.jpg

"The Ramones first album changed everything. You have to remember how dank music was before that time, in 1976. They were very peculiar, they all looked slightly diseased and I have no doubt they had germs."

:D :D :D

Last edited:
The Angelic Upstarts are touring the UK. Here are the dates if anyone is interested
Tour Dates
Sat 17 Mar Academy In The UK:
The Damned + Conflict + Angelic Upstarts + Subhumans + GBH + Goldblade + Abrasive Wheels + Varukers + Demob + DragSTER Bristol Academy (Carling Academy 1 & 2)
Bristol

Thu 5 Apr Angelic Upstarts Yardbirds Club
Grimsby

Fri 6 Apr Angelic Upstarts + Gold Blade + Vice Squad + Deadline + Crashed Out + Holy Racket + Drongos For Europe + Diablo 66 + Middle Finger Salute + The Vibrators Independent
Sunderland

Sat 7 Apr Angelic Upstarts The Liquidroom
Edinburgh

Sun 8 Apr Angelic Upstarts The Doghouse
Dundee

Mon 9 Apr Angelic Upstarts The Garage
Glasgow

Wed 11 Apr Easter Punk Feast 5:
Angelic Upstarts + Drongos For Europe + The Vibrators + Middle Finger Salute Manchester University (Academy 1,2&3 formerly MDH, Hop & Grape)
Manchester

Fri 13 Apr Angelic Upstarts The Pitz at Woughton Centre (Woughton Leisure Centre)
Milton Keynes

Sat 14 Apr Angelic Upstarts University of Lincoln SU (Engine Shed, Delph, Library)
Lincoln

We acctually discussed the Angelic Upstarts and Moz in the off-topic thread :)eek: ) a while ago since he had three our four of their songs in his intro tape for the Outside tour with Bowie.

Here's a photo of Moz and Mensi from Angelic Upstarts.

mensi.jpg

According to the motorcycleaupairboy site, it was published in the NME, with the description that I won't bother copy-and-pasting, but you can read it here you want to see another proof that NME is aimed at people with a mental age of 5 :rolleyes:

Isn't it an Angelic Upstarts poster that Moz is pasting up at the beginning of Introducing Morrissey?

And westendgirl, in Morrissey's most recent interview he talked about sitting at the grave of Johnny Ramone in LA.

Back
Top Bottom