The Hits That Weren't

Layne

At any point in his career, which Morrissey songs that were not released as singles do you think would have been the biggest potential hits? Or which songs that were put out as singles should have been withheld in favour of another song on that record?

Or does it not matter? Well of course it doesn't really.

I personally would have liked to have seen the 1991 At KROQ (rockabilly) version of "Sing Your Life" released as a single. If nothing else at that time it would have been a smash hit on the American rock charts leading up to Your Arsenal.

Also I'd say "Roy's Keen" (good song though) should have been relegated in favour of "Lost" as the second single off Maladjusted.

If 'First of the Gang to Die' had been released as the lead-off single from Quarry, I think it might have got to #1. That was his best chance for a solo number 1, and he blew it.

Also 'There is a Light' from the Smiths days is an obvious missed opportunity.

The songs I always play for people who ask me about Morrissey (usually they only know Sunday and maybe Suedehead) are Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself and First of the Gang to Die—and going forward, I'll probably add Staircase into that mix. All three songs are immediately likeable and accessible, and they get people interested in hearing more. I know the FotGtD was a single, but I agree with anon that it really should have been the lead single or at least proceeded Quarry's release.

I use my mother as a gauge, to be honest. She's heard a lot of secondhand Morrissey over the past 25 years because of me, and the songs she comments on (and remembers later) are inevitably the ones I wind up thinking could've/should've been hits.

"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" was extremely radio-friendly. With a half-decent video and maybe abridged/altered outro, I think it could've made quite a chart impact.

Half the time the songs that I think were never released as singles were actually singles. So basically, I’m useless.

Half the time the songs that I think were never released as singles were actually singles. So basically, I’m useless.

That's a big thing with Morrissey though isn't it? Great songs, some of his best, have been relegated to b-sides. Others are album tracks sure enough but have been passed over.

It seems like along with "Lost" songs like "The National Front Disco", "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side", "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me", "Do Your Best and Don't Worry", "Nobody Loves Us", "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me", "Now I Am a Was", "Hairdresser On Fire", "Pashernate Love", "Whatever Happens, I Love You" "I Am Hated For Loving", and "Jack the Ripper" could have easily been big hits. A lot of these songs are some of his most catchy, musically interesting, and relatable.

"You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" probably should have been the lead single off Your Arsenal as far as I'm concerned. "We Hate It..." is a good song and I like it as the second single but "You're Gonna..." really has smash hit written all over it.

Last edited:
First of the Gang To Die should have been the lead-off single on YATQ - arguably could have put the album over the top and almost certainly would have been a #1 single.

Billy Budd was a much more obvious choice to follow up The More You Ignore Me than Hold On To Your Friends.

While I feel that the Boxers single was one of his most perfect singles (track for track), I think Sunny would have been a bigger hit if released then.

Not sure if they would have been hits, but I think Hairdresser On Fire, Disappointed, The National Front Disco, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Tomorrow, Jack The Ripper. Billy Budd, Speedway, Nobody Loves Us, Troubles Loves Me, Lost, I Like You, Come Back To Camden, Life Is A Pigsty, When Last I Spoke To Carol, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Staircase At The University, Kiss Me Alot, could all have made interesting single choices.

Not sure if they would have been hits, but I think Hairdresser On Fire, Disappointed, The National Front Disco, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Tomorrow, Jack The Ripper. Billy Budd, Speedway, Nobody Loves Us, Troubles Loves Me, Lost, I Like You, Come Back To Camden, Life Is A Pigsty, When Last I Spoke To Carol, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, Staircase At The University, Kiss Me Alot, could all have made interesting single choices.

Agreed. Some really top choons there.

Missed singles:

Viva Hate - I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Your Arsenal - The National Front Disco
Vauxhall & I - Speedway
World Peace - Staircase At The University & Istanbul

I have to agree that First Of The Gang To Die would've had the better chance at number 1 if it had been the first single released from Quarry

Viva - Alsatin cousin
Bona drag - too many to mention
Kill uncle - mute witness, family line
Your arsenal - national front, we'll let you know
Vauxhall - now my heart is full, speedway, used to be a sweet boy
Southpaw - "Ahem"
Maladjusted - trouble loves me
Quarry - the singles realised work just fine
Ringleader - life is a pigsty
Refusal - same as quarry
World peace - not bothered

Honourable mentios, Jack the Ripper, I know very well, sister I'm a poet, Margaret on the guillotine, break up the family, seasick,

I concur with the comments about First of the Gang to Die. In fact that's exactly what I came onto this thread to post.

If he had released that as a single with a proper video a few weeks before Quarry came out, it would have been a #1 single, I am certain of it.

It's a great song, very radio friendly, and had that been his first release of new material in 7 years, there's nothing that would have kept it off the top spot.

I Like You from YATQ is a sing along, danceable, radio friendly song. Would have made a great single. Also, Staircase at The University should have been the first single released off of WPINOYB.

Robert-Doisneau-photography-the-kiss.jpg

1. kiss me a lot

2. forgive someone

3. action is my middle name

Incidentally "I Like You" was mysteriously released as a single in Canada in 2005 and charted at #8.

"Tomorrow" was released as a U.S. only single I believe (and went to #1 on the modern rock chart) but agreed that it should have been a big hit as a full out single as well -- it's one of his very best songs.

"Now My Heart Is Full" was from what I gather released as a single in 1994 but didn't chart; does anyone have any more information regarding that? I've always wondered.

"First Gang..." lead single from Quarry - you guys are spot on.

Then, like Jehne said "I Like You" - I see that as a song that could have easily crossed over.

Going back in time to Your Arsenal, "The National Front Disco" - the uproar alone would have put it in the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom