The official "I hate reality TV" thread.

Jane Birkin

If you hate :
Big Brother, I'm a has-been get me out of here, the why factor and anything with pseudo celebrities humiliating themselves for a small fee; please vent here.

I wrote a letter to the Manchester Evening News last week asking them what happened to the news?:confused:

Each Monday, we get a whole page dedicated to 'Strictly Come Wanking' and the 'Shit Factor' - now extended to feature 'I'm a dickhead desperately seeking work'.

I argued that this is not 'news' and surely anyone stupid enough to be involved with watching such drivel will already know who won / lost / evicted / cried / pet dog died to gain more sympathy votes etc etc.
The rest of us who don't watch it therefore have no interest in reading such nonsence.
Bring put the News back into the Manchester Evening News:mad:
So far, no letter printed:tears:

And don't get me started on that complete waste of ink and paper, Kerry Katona:eek:

Jukebox Jury

EDIT: Obviously the tone of the original letter was slightly less abusive than the above:D

Last edited:
Testify!!...:guitar:

I think the cultural aspect gets lost here. I am not surprised at people turning up on the X-Factor thinking they can sing with 'examples' like the Spice Girls setting the cue for the culture.

These shows promote a very narrow idea of what music and singing should be, so we get these production line 'pop stars' who all look and sound the same. There seems to be no place for uniqueness and individuality. Artists should shape institutions not the other way around.

"Lock jawed pop-stars thicker than pig-shit, nothing to convey. They're so scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career"

Exactly...:)

Testify!!...:guitar:

I think the cultural aspect gets lost here. I am not surprised at people turning up on the X-Factor thinking they can sing with 'examples' like the Spice Girls setting the cue for the culture.

These shows promote a very narrow idea of what music and singing should be, so we get these production line 'pop stars' who all look and sound the same. There seems to be no place for uniqueness and individuality. Artists should shape institutions not the other way around.

"Lock jawed pop-stars thicker than pig-shit, nothing to convey. They're so scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career"

Exactly...:)

Nicely put KU

That's exactly what Johnny Marr was getting across at Salford Uni the other week. Dont wait for Simon what ever his name is to mold you into a star, mold yourself into a star and the rest will follow you. These 5 minute wonders (Darius, One True Voice anyone?) are dragging the music industry down, nothing is built to last, it's all take what you can with one album and an arena tour and bail out with the Xmas DVD:mad:

Jukebox Jury

The question is: how much longer are we gonna be scraping the barrel for?
As someone who is in the media field and would like to eventually get a job making something better than the shite we're being served, Id very much like to know, where will it stop?

As someone who is in the media field and would like to eventually get a job making something better than the shite we're being served, Id very much like to know, where will it stop?

It will only stop when 12 year old girls and their mothers / grannies stop paying 25p a call to vote for a karaoke singer. When the calls stop the show will stop.
But then replaced by what? The TV companies will simply look for another show to put on that results in viewers paying to take part in some kind of voting. They need money to compete unfortunatly. :(

Jukebox Jury

It will only stop when 12 year old girls and their mothers / grannies stop paying 25p a call to vote for a karaoke singer. When the calls stop the show will stop.
But then replaced by what? The TV companies will simply look for another show to put on that results in viewers paying to take part in some kind of voting. They need money to compete unfortunatly. :(

Jukebox Jury

It's not actually about the votes, because I am assured by people who have worked on those shows, that people don't vote half as much as they used to.
When it comes to those shows, it's all about selling advertising space.

Nicely put KU

That's exactly what Johnny Marr was getting across at Salford Uni the other week. Dont wait for Simon what ever his name is to mold you into a star, mold yourself into a star and the rest will follow you. These 5 minute wonders (Darius, One True Voice anyone?) are dragging the music industry down, nothing is built to last, it's all take what you can with one album and an arena tour and bail out with the Xmas DVD:mad:

Jukebox Jury

I heard a bit about Marr's visit on radio five live and they promoted that aspect where he criticised the X-Factor. I think your spot on with the nothing built to last aspect. It's all about money and no one is allowed to grow artistically any more.

Someone suggested that TV goes in cycles and eventually (hopefully) people will get sick of cheap TV and we'll get some decent Drama's and writers coming back soon. Your timing may be just right..:)

ps: please watch Charlie Brooker on BBC 4 now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reminding me :o:eek:

Hope you didn't miss the bit about Russell, but if you have, it will be on iplayer later tonight or maybe tomorrow.:)

sometimes i half wish that tv's ceased to operate. it's the only way to stop this. that lloyd webber will have his f***ing mug back on soon as well:gun:

sometimes i half wish that tv's ceased to operate. it's the only way to stop this. that lloyd webber will have his f***ing mug back on soon as well:gun:

Exactly..... using licence fee payers money (not mine:cool:) to promote his show. A sell out every night, can't fail with such free advertising via the daily gutter press.

How much money do the winning contestants make? Not a lot. How much does :gun: Mrs Osbourne, Lloyd Webber et al make out of it? Quite a lot.

the beast, thanks for showing me how to use the gun..... think I'll be using it a lot.....:D

Jukebox Jury

Exactly..... using licence fee payers money (not mine:cool:) to promote his show. A sell out every night, can't fail with such free advertising via the daily gutter press.

How much money do the winning contestants make? Not a lot. How much does :gun: Mrs Osbourne, Lloyd Webber et al make out of it? Quite a lot.

Jukebox Jury

that twat lloyd webber had some f***ing daft show or other and after the winner did just that, win, he called her a big fat girl who's going nowhere:mad: who does he think he is?:mad:

jj, get that gun out lad, you know it makes sense:gun:

Last edited:

Jukebox Jury

That's another thing. Imagine if Ozzy had been on the X-Factor, waddled on stage and started singing. The hair on his feet wouldn't touch the ground!

Not really a fan of the guy, but he IS unique.

I'm staying out of this because I love Strictly Come Dancing!...there...I've said it now! :p

I have never actually picked up the phone to vote though...I just like all the lovely frocks! :o

*HIDES BEHIND A FLURRY OF SEQUINS*

Love Alma xxx

Back
Top Bottom