The Smiths [LAST GIG] - Live at Brixton December 12, 1986

pixElsblUr

Jack The Ripper
As Requested by Smelly French Boy, here you go...

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/-1100131454/The_Smiths_-_Live_at_Brixton_December_12,_1986.avi

THE INFO:

The Smiths [LAST GIG]
December 12, 1986
Brixton Academy, London
Video: MPEG-2, 720x576 25 fps (4:3) PAL, 6700 kbps
Audio: PCM @ 48000 Hz Stereo, 1536 kbps ["Somebody Waved Goodbye"

Ask
Bigmouth Strikes Again
London/Miserable Lie
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Is It Really So Strange?
Cemetry Gates
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Still Ill
Panic
/The Queen Is Dead
//William It Was Really Nothing
//Hand In Glove

Notes:

-This video was seeded by honorbak over @ smithstorrents.co.uk (Thanks Honorbak!!). The video is very good, but the audio was an absolute nightmare. So many thanks to Akiraware for uploading me the bootleg "Somebody Waved Goodbye", I corrected the pitch of each individual song as best to replace over the original audio source.

-Added also was the concert's intro and the missing seconds of the begining of "Ask".

-Added missing segment of "Cemetry Gates" as the video was missing a verse.

-The "The Queen Is Dead" had many problems... I'll explain:

-After many listens I pointed out that all the soundboards in circulation sadly have edits in them, and edits in more than one place. Not to mention the pitch was so far off it was almost impossible to fix.

So I did what I could using the original VHS audio, patching the missing links. For the historic value of this concert, it would've been a crime not to fix this.

-... you will notice some weirdness at times, but nothing to serious! :)

Enjoy!

B.Clark

July/August 2006

from http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/gigs/smiths-gi8610uk.htm

This concert was put together for the Artists Against Apartheid. Tickets were £8, £7, £6 and £5. It was to be the last time the Smiths would be on stage together, bar a few television appearances. What makes this gig even more special is that it turned out to be the only time songs like "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others", the yet unreleased "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" and the "London"/"Miserable Lie" medley were ever performed by the Smiths. "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" and "William It Was Really Nothing" which hadn't been played in a long time were also performed. Finally, the live staple "Hand In Glove" which had been dropped on the recent British leg of the "The Queen Is Dead" tour also returned, making the Smiths' debut single also the last song they played together in a concert.

The gig was a much more personal and lively affair than the previous Brixton concert in October when the tension behind the scenes and the exhaustion of touring could not be hidden. There seemed to be a great complicity between the members of the band, nothing hinted that within a year the Smiths would be no more. During "Still Ill", Johnny moved next to Andy and Morrissey joined them. They could be seen smiling and laughing, as if they were in on some inside joke.

The last song before the Smiths entered stage was a whole recording of "Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty", not only the short snippet heard at the beginning of "The Queen Is Dead" on the album of the same name. Before "Bigmouth Strikes Again", Mike teased the audience with the drum beat to "Panic". The audience was surprised to find that at the end of "London", the band moved into the fast-paced outro to "Miserable Lie". As they switched from the former to the latter, Morrissey wildly whipped the microphone cord in loops. Instead of singing "I'm just a country mile behind the world", he switched to the early lyric "I'd run a hundred miles away from you". The medley was extremely well received, the crowd roared in appreciation and Morrissey thanked them by telling them "You've got incredibly good taste".

In the next song, "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" which was being played for the first and last time ever, Morrissey added an extra verse saying "On the shop floor, there's a calendar, as obvious as snow, as if we didn't know". Morrissey replied to the loud applause that number also received by growling loudly "Hello!". A few songs later, the soon to be released "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" was introduced with "This is our new single..."

Before the crowd favourite "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" Morrissey picked a letter on the floor and placed it on the drum rise. He then picked a flower, crumpled it and threw it away, then another one which he placed inside his jacket, hugging it next to his heart before throwing it into the crowd. Morrissey acknowledged the audience's unfamiliarity with the following song by saying "Thank you, that song was called 'Is It Really So Strange?'". In "Cemetry Gates" a line was inverted to "We stonely read the graves". Morrissey also sang "They were born, they lived, they died" instead of the longer usual line.

Returning for the first of two encores, Morrissey said "Thank you we love you" and then launched into a roaring version of "The Queen Is Dead". This is when fans started to climb on stage. There would be about a dozen of them making it there throughout the two encores. Instead of parading with a board saying THE QUEEN IS DEAD as he had done earlier in the year while singing that song, Morrissey had on this date a different board, this one saying TWO LIGHT ALES PLEASE. After the song he threw his shirt into the crowd before exiting again. The Smiths then returned for a final two-song encore. The last of these was "Hand In Glove". It ended with Morrissey wailing in a high pitched voice for about 20 seconds. The Smiths didn't know it at the time, but with its final line "I'll probably never see you again", "Hand In Glove" couldn't have been a better choice of final song to perform together.

The one time only performance of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" was released as a b-side to the "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" 12" and cassette single in the UK and the "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" single in other parts of the world. It was later reissued on cd on the rare French freebie cd-EP "Handsome Devils" and the more common 1992 cd-single reissue of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

Fortunately for collectors, this historical concert is available on bootleg video and DVD. The one-angle recording is of reasonably good quality for an audience one. The whole concert is featured, from a few bars into "Ask" to the moment when the Smiths left the stage for a final time.

Quite a few 'official' audio bootlegs can be found. The best of them is undoubtedly "Somebody Waved Goodbye". The sound is reasonably good and the whole concert is featured, including the "Take Me Back To Dead Old Blighty" pre-entrance song.

"Never Had No One Ever" is a great alternative to the latter. The sound is also great, although slightly inferior. The whole concert is also present. The "Take Me Back To Dead Old Blighty" intro is also included, but only 30 seconds of it instead of the 80 seconds found on "Somebody Waved Goodbye".

"Never Had No One Ever" was first produced on a double LP paired with 8 tracks from Madrid on 18 May 1985. The reissue on cd only only includes one song from the latter date, "Handsome Devil". However better bootlegs exist for that earlier gig. Click on date for full details.

The bootleg cd "The Final Gig" is also interesting, it features the whole gig, but the sound quality is slightly inferior. It is paired with the band's final appearance on the Peel radio programme.

"Royal Command Performance" was first released on a red vinyl double LP and was later reissued on CD with the same artwork. Both formats include the whole show in rather good quality, but leave out "Ask", "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and "Is It Really So Strange?". The double LP set is paired with 12 song from the Manchester G-Mex concert on 19 July 1986 as well as "Jeane" and "Girl Don't Come" by Sandie Shaw. The compact disc only includes 9 songs from the G-Mex gig. Click on date for full track listing details.

Finally the "A Nice Bit Of Meat" mixed content bootleg on CD and LP includes this gig's "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" only. Click on links for full track listing details.

MP3s of all the bootlegs mentioned here are available on the usual file sharing networks on the internet.

"Wilde About The Smiths", a factory pressed cd in digipack has "The Queen Is Dead" from this concert with many other live tracks, rarities and radio and tv sessions.

Last edited:
cheers pix I have a bad copy of this. Looking forward to downloading.

cossy:)

Thought I'd point out that William, It Was Really Nothing had been performed during the US Summer Tour of 1986...

So it had only been a few months for that one...

Thanks you so much, you are a gentleman, I will download it tonight.
For the remaster of your Moz show, I've try with 2 different software, it doesn't done anything, but I have others software and will try again.
Merci beaucoup.

Thanks for your efforts Pix - I too already have poor video copies of this gig, I'll download this later and hope that there is indeed an improvement.

Cheers,

Smug

yes, the audio on this is incredible, i was surprized when i heard it, definitely an improvement, a must have for fans.

I downloaded it from eMule but audio and video are not synchronised, a 2 seconds gap, maybe. What about this version?

I downloaded it from eMule but audio and video are not synchronised, a 2 seconds gap, maybe. What about this version?

I did not notice a problem, got this from smithstorrents

Pix - Great work, it took about 8 hours to download but well worth it as it easily outstrips the other version(s) that I have!

Cheers,

Smug

This is an amazing version of this show, for info to 'the judge', this is not the same version that was circulated on emule.
It took almost 10 hours, but it worth it.
THANKS SO MUCH:)

your welcome smelly :)

i had to start over after the initial downloads canceled only five minutes in the session, the second dwnld took me about 6+ hours, but yessssss it was worth it. probably one of the best downloads ever.

thank you verrrrrry much.

i had to start over after the initial downloads canceled only five minutes in the session, the second dwnld took me about 6+ hours, but yessssss it was worth it. probably one of the best downloads ever.

thank you verrrrrry much.

No problem man, I'm a graphic artist so quality is important to me, thus uploaded highest quality possible from my DVD rip :D, much respect

Thanks a lot, i tried downloading this yesterday and it downloaded 20% in 4 hours i had to start again. So thanks i am looking forward to this.:)

Back
Top Bottom