The Smiths Official YT: "What Difference Does It Make?" - TOTP '84 (January 20, 2021)

Screenshot_20210120-162608~2.png

(Perhaps a nod to the debated release date? I remember buying it on the Monday back then, but what do I know!?).
Regards,
FWD.

you're ok Carls??
you're ok Carls??
4king hell Luji ... you write like war and peace .... you Russian swine....
I think I’m getting the vaccine next week, and when I’m done I’m coming to Argentina to kiss all available over 75s . That’s you included 🤮
We shall dance to panic in the streets of Carlisle,
Never mind the old Tango
Carlislebaz in Argentina, will be the next Moz titled release...
See you soon Luji😜😜😜😜

I reckon why is this on the main page tossey wacker tit mate? The California Son with his fake glasses that Steve Street made him wear all drugged up on meth and scopolamine that Steve Street kept injecting him with when he was kidnapped after he strayed from Chrissie Hynde. I reckon no wonder why the California Son hates Brittin and the smiths. Having watched this just for 10 seconds really shows what a shitty band the smiths were and what a joke the Oregon Son is as a guitarist. I reckon thank St Patrick the California Son was rescued and brought back home to Moz Angeles in 1987 c*** winding up mate chipper curry northern base inn nn n nnnnn n nnn it.

Fark Arse

I reckon you’re right again. I looked over my notes from this period in music and came to same conclusion after watching this on the telly.

i was 18 when this happened and it created a real buzz for the she smiths,whether M likes it or not the smiths were part of the new romantic scene and their music was played at every disco/club i went to,really were great days.

My guess would be your wish will come true, probably next tour: it’s that or Ask I’d say—as the compulsory surprise.
This is one Smiths song I can't ever see him perform again. This and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

I think there's a slightly higher chance for other early songs like Accept Yourself, You've Got Everything Now or Pretty Girls Make Graves (all of which I'd consider very unlikely candidates as well).

I don't think he's ever openly called any of his own songs "absolutely awful", except this one.

This is one Smiths song I can't ever see him perform again. This and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

I think there's a slightly higher chance for other early songs like Accept Yourself, You've Got Everything Now or Pretty Girls Make Graves (all of which I'd consider very unlikely candidates as well).

I don't think he's ever openly called any of his own songs "absolutely awful", except this one.
Ask and What Difference would, I think, be the two songs that would absolutely bring the house down. Committed fans would be stunned, and casual fans would be expecting them (I’ve heard pre-gig conversations in pubs).

I remember someone shouting for This Charming Man, at Rock City in 1999, and him swearing he’d ‘never’ sing that song again: even I almost believed him.

Action... What you gonna stick on next, I’ll try to follow
Ooh. I followed Beethoven with High In School and I Am Not A Chain On A Dog. I think those two albums compliment each other. Tonight will be something by Kraftwerk.

It is hardly a comment on the Biden inauguration today? People celebrate like mad when there is a new president. And then nothing changes. Although in fairness it is hard not to celebrate the exit of Don Chump and his ridiculous hair-minge (I don't mean his feline faced wife).
Only if your American...god help us..

One of the greatest TOTP appearances by any band ever,
A “Bowie” moment paving the way forward for Britpop and everything else that followed.
I love the dance moves at the start when Moz is on one foot, and moving backwards....
YES! Possibly the greatest lip-synch fakery in the history of modern music. TOTP definitely set the bar for Brittany Spears and the entire rap community.

YES! Possibly the greatest lip-synch fakery in the history of modern music. TOTP definitely set the bar for Brittany Spears and the entire rap community.

Me thinks you are forgetting Milli Vanilli.

(Girl you know its true!)

MrShoes

Fave song on there is NF disco...where the guitars go on forever.....
We might release this as a single,
Do you think it will be a hit? (Deathly silence) errr what!!!
I don’t think Moz has ever had a hit single in France, or has he?
National Front Disco was one of the songs that weren't actually recorded at the Zenith, but in London. That record had a lot of overdubs and the setlist was completely changed too.

(Perhaps a nod to the debated release date? I remember buying it on the Monday back then, but what do I know!?).
Regards,
FWD.

I scanned all the comments and didn't see this take on why Morrissey Central posted this.

This post (may have) less to do with the "debated release date" but more to the happenings in the USA on Jan. 20, 2021. Morrissey may be saying, "what difference does it make" who is the President of the USA.

(post edited - my original post said "has" . I was not meaning to imply a definite but merely a theory, but it all seems in error anyway as the source material was not from Central)

Last edited:
I scanned all the comments and didn't see this take on why Morrissey Central posted this.

This post has less to do with the "debated release date" but more to the happenings in the USA on Jan. 20, 2021. Morrissey may be saying, "what difference does it make" who is the President of the USA.

I don't think Central did post it?

I don't know who runs the Smiths YouTube.

This post has less to do with the "debated release date" but more to the happenings in the USA on Jan. 20, 2021. Morrissey may be saying, "what difference does it make" who is the President of the USA.
It was a Smiths YT post and had zero to do with Central - which makes it probably more a Warner's choice than political.
There is a discrepancy between certain places as to the release date being the Monday or Friday (as debated here too). It appearing on the 20th given that's one of its suggested release dates is probably more indicative of something Smiths-related than Biden, but I won't offer a concrete 'that's what it means' explanation as that's not a good way to present information.
FWD.

(Edit: Probably worth adding: given Morrissey's & the band's anti-Trump stance and the continual anti-Trump tweets by band members - they'd probably welcome a change rather than equate the 2 people as basically the same).

Last edited:
It was a Smiths YT post and had zero to do with Central - which makes it probably more a Warner's choice than political.
There is a discrepancy between certain places as to the release date being the Monday or Friday (as debated here too). It appearing on the 20th given that's one of its suggested release dates is probably more indicative of something Smiths-related than Biden, but I won't offer a concrete 'that's what it means' explanation as that's not a good way to present information.
FWD.
Thank you.
I thought it was a Central post because a lot of posts on here originate there.
Thank you for the clarification.

I would presume that the smiths offered to do a live performance and were turned down, Hence the wild dancing and lack of a microscope, so he could make his point...
A few acts back in the day wanted to do a live performance and were turned down, so the various singers would refuse to have a microphone..
I’m sure I seen the wedding present lead singer just stand there and do nothing, not even pretending to mime, or move....
Just stared up to the heavens...
Another solid preference...

I think bands that actually know how to play live don't like the game of a playback and pretend that it's a real live thing. Thus they boycott the whole thing.

I remember very well the UK Subs doing a playback on Argentinean TV back in the early 90's. They decided to change the roles of the band for the playback and each one of them changed the real instrument he plays, including the singer.

I remember it very well because on the next day they gave a real concert. The worst promoted concert in the whole history of mankind: the whole of the audience was 3 persons: a friend of mine, a person we didn't know and me.
The concert was so absurd that they strictly played songs on request for a bit more than 3 hours and asked the three of us to become UK Subs for a day and sing the choruses of the songs. Charlie Harper was a genius that day, he gave the concert as if the audience was 10,000 persons. I was allowed to play the bass in the song "Warhead".

The Smiths simply did what any punk band like them would have done. It's perfect.

Nah, 'Top of the Pops', in all it's lip-synch naff glory, was a great British institution, a real sign of a band making genuine mainstream success. Moz and the band would have been happy to have taken part, and followed the prevailing miming rules of the show - hence why they returned so many times afterwards.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom